Now here is BJJ...

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Korpy, May 20, 2007.

1. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

:rolleyes: Read 'Dead or Alive' by Geoff Thompson or 'Streetwise' by Peter Consterdine or articles/ books by Dennis Martin, Mo Teague or Dennis Jones. Or have a look at this website www.senshido.com. Or read any decent book on self defence.

No offence but what you said has got to be one of the most ignorant comments I've ever seen on here.

2. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Basic principle of combat.Attack at all times show a superior fighting spirit and dominate the spirit of the opponent.
    Defeat him phsycologicaly.Break his spirit and all else shall follow.

regards koyo

3. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

I wouldn't expect someone with a sig like "I don't fight with kung fu or judo or anything else, I fight with ME" to so completely miss my point...

Psychology is a science. If you're in a "self defense situation" with someone, you are not going to ask this person to volunteer for a controlled experiment. Sure, you can do a lot of things that you might base on psychological principles. But most of that guesswork is something that could be done without an actual background in psychology. Working with people is something that has been done since forever and was working just fine even before psychology emerged (less than 200 years ago). Having a background in psychology probably couldn't hurt in terms of self defense, but applying principles also applied in psychology doesn't mean you're using psychology for self defense any more than throwing a punch means you're using "physics."

Oh, and I don't remember exactly when Kano coined "judo." But I'm pretty sure we're talking about the 1880's as the neighborhood. Definitely not 1930's. I do remember that he started the Kodokan in 1882.

As far as Maeda teaching the Brazilians "jujitsu" there's really no sure explanation as to why. Some claim that Maeda was asked by Kano or other teachers at the Kodokan not to call what he taught "judo." Others claim it was a personal choice. We'll probably never know.

4. spirez

spirez Valued Member

This post deserves a new thread.

Last edited: May 28, 2007
  5. Devildog2930

Devildog2930 Teneo vestri ego.

Firstly Psycology is the study of mental process and behavoir, put simply for self defence terms "understanding your enemy" without this you simply can not train efectivley for self defence.
    You do not need to have an understanding of physics to throw a punch but if you do understand the principles of the physics involved you can make your punch stronger, faster etc.

6. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

Not really. One can use physics to explain why punching one way has more power than another way. But a background in physics isn't necessary to figure out how one can make a punch stronger or faster. Boxing is older than modern physics.

I'm not saying it hurts to have backgrounds in physics or psychology, but I'm sure there are plenty of physicists that can't throw a good punch and plenty of psychologists that aren't necessarily all that good at dealing with aggressive people.

In my limited experience, the people that are best at diffusing situations are the ones who have experience doing so.

7. Devildog2930

Devildog2930 Teneo vestri ego.

Precisely, they have experience and from that they understand the mind set of the agressor which enables them to diffuse the situation easier. They may not have a degree in psycology but they are using the principles of psycology none the less. Same goes with punching. Someone who punches from the arm whilst training discovers that putting his body weight into the punch creates greater force. Although maybe not realising it he is applying basic physics to his training.
    So I guess we are all studying physics & psycology :D

8. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

The last couple of posts remind me of a funny story i sat in on beetween 2 good friends of mine sean and neil over a beer or two,both lads were veterans of over 100 amateur boxing bouts and good friends,sean had started studying for a sports science degree and proceeded to break down a punch into torque,force,velocity,mass etc etc,after listening for 10 mins neil turned round and said...you mean a right hand sean!! all 3 of us cracked up laughing! :)

9. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

And once again, you miss the point of the video... most of it was a FRICKIN DEMONSTRATION. Why is that such a difficult concept for you to grasp?

I've seen this vid several times, I have this Pride event on DVD.

Last edited: May 30, 2007
  10. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

So that means "studying biology" could mean something else entirely! :eek:

And to think I've been taking these expensive classes instead...

11. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

I don't think he's missed that point... He was responding to Korpy's initial claim that this demonstration silences the critics of BJJ not being practical for self defence. I disagree that BJJ is not practical for self defence but I likewise disagree with Korpy that this video demonstrates that conclusively. Devildog seems to be making the same argument. I cannot for the life of me understand why this is getting people worked up.

12. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I don't think he gets it, really, I don't. I guess we just agree to disagree.