Novice weight training

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by livingmojo, Apr 1, 2012.

1. livingmojo

livingmojo Valued Member

If i went on to ask what others more experienced would recommend for weight training to supplement MA study/training would it be stronglifts 5x5? I have seen that name dropped quite a few times. Been reading the site/signed up for the .pdf as well. Weightlifting is a new area for me which is why I pose this question. Obviously correct form is a huge starting point for me but aside from that any other input? Thank you for your time.

2. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

starting strength or the 20 rep squat program i think are better. stronglifts is just a higher volume version of starting strength and might be better for size gain.

3. livingmojo

livingmojo Valued Member

Am I going to find the same program layout for starting strength as stronglifts? Very informative so far. I'll go have a read now about that.

4. Mangosteen

the starting strength site has better explanation. if you do stronglifts, use starting strength as your trouble shooting guide.

5. livingmojo

livingmojo Valued Member

startingstrength.wikia.com/ is the site?

6. Mangosteen

yep thats it!

7. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Stronglifts is a decent program, but there's lots of programs you can't go wrong with. Jim Wendler's Boring But Big 5/3/1 program I'm starting to like more and more as it will get you well versed in squatting, deadlifting, benching, and pressing if you stick with it.

8. livingmojo

livingmojo Valued Member

The biggest part is my inexperience and my need to develop form/find starting weights and just plain not hurt myself by doing something stupid. Any plan that can help account for that I will gladly read up on.

9. Mangosteen

the starting strength wiki explains most things!
    do any program but read starting strength pages for help on form and progression

10. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

That's one of the advantages that lately I've been feeling Wendler's BBB program has. You basically focus on the four main exercises each with their own separate workout. For instance, one day might be the military press. There's a progression you follow in the book for that day that's focused on lower reps (but your goal is to do as many reps as you can), then followed by two assistance exercises. One of them is the exact same lift (in this case, the military press) but you're now working it for 5 sets of 10 reps. Essentially you're getting in lots of form practice at the end doing the same movement you just trained that day. Finish it off with one other assistance exercise (chins or pull-ups are a good one for press day) and you're done. Relatively quick workouts, lots of work on form and strength, and pretty simple once you get the hang of it.

11. livingmojo

livingmojo Valued Member

The plan seems solid and I like the focus on specific areas for workouts, but I did see them suggest anyone as green as I when it comes to weightlifting avoid this as their first plan.

12. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

just me that found starting strength a little too limited, even for a programme that's supposed to be for the newest of beginners ? I agree with zaad though the wiki is worth reading just for knowledge, that would be my biggest piece of advice to someone trying to get into weight training, be prepared to do a lot of reading, have a few misconceptions dispelled and makea few mistakes along the way.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  13. livingmojo

livingmojo Valued Member

safest way to determine 1RM having never lifted before? And Kuma do you have a link for the BBB plan? Only finding links to the e-book 5/3/1 or is the what I will need to start this if thats what I decide?

14. Doesn't matter which program you choose; as a beginner, they all work and will make you stronger.

The key is to stick with your program and not change every two days because some article, or forum warrior said so... THAT is the hardest part and the reason most fail!

Be careful to programs designed by roid junkies for roid junkies!

Osu!

15. livingmojo

livingmojo Valued Member

Tell tale signs of roid junky routines? Not something I am apt to spot.

16. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

non compound exercises, more use of machines than free weights to isolate single muscles, 2 hour gym session that sort of stuff, I wouldn't worry about it most of the highly rated programmes (like the ones people have already recommended) were written by weight lifters, they emphasis athleticism and functional strength building not muscle size or shape. Would be pretty hard to fall into a body building routine without knowing it.

17. LOL... The writer looks like he is wearing a gorilla costume is a tell tale! :D

Osu!

18. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Just start off light and don't be too concerned with the 1RM part just yet. Even on my 1RM days I often ended up doing more reps than needed. As for the routine, it's in Wendler's book which you can download for $20 USD. I'm wary of giving out free info that takes money out of someone else's pockets.

19. livingmojo

livingmojo Valued Member

Just making sure it was information that needed to be purchased. I have no qualms with buying a beneficial book for my training. thanks for the replies everyone!

20. righty

righty Valued Member

I would respectfully disagree with this. Wendler's 531 is thought of more as an intermediate program, so while it may work well for you, it's possibly not the best choice for an absolute newbie to lifting.

Something like Stronglifts done properly is a better option in my opinion. It forces you to start low and get the correct form form at painfully light weights. Once you get the volume and weight up and are making gains and have a good idea of what you are capable of, then you can start thinking about switching to something else.

The 531 program also presumes you have an idea of what your 1 rep max is. This is something newbies shouldn't be trying out, especially if they haven't proven they have the form down. And without the 1rep max estimate, the arguably aren't really doing the program anyway.

Livingmojo - I would suggest if you are going to put money down on a book, grab Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe.