Not what we needed right now.

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by Polar Bear, Dec 14, 2007.

1. RAbid Hamster

RAbid Hamster Herr Trubelmacher

Ran
    having reread this entire thread ... the VAST majority of it has little to do with Mr Siggs. The parts that do, make passing comment about insurance and the effect on the WMA community. Did you actually read the thread beyond the first post before posting?
    Also why did you feel the need to post here but not on say, SFI. If you felt this strongly why not SFI (or have I missed your user name somewhere)? The WMA board on MAP is a distant outpost of HEMA and hardly worthy of a noteworthy rant against as significant (and infamous) a figure as Mr Siggs.

2. RAbid Hamster

from SFI...

12-30-2007, 06:54 AM
    It is with great regret that I announce the cancellation of the Roger Siggs seminar in Topeka Kansas, which was scheduled to occur on March 1 & 2, 2008.

guess the backlash has started in earnest.

3. Ran Pleasant

Ran Pleasant Valued Member

Please go back and read the post to which I replied. Things were not "well done". Yes, I read all of the other posts, but my reply was to only one.

¿ SFI ? LMAO,ROF :D :D :D :D :D :D :p ;) :rolleyes:

4. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Obviously you really aren't aware of how much this kind of thing goes on in EMA. The usual format is someone claims someone is a fake then several years of flame war erupts and much crap is talked. Roger said "fair cop" and bowed out. That is well done, I don't know how that translates into hero worship obviously the standard of heroes around you must be pretty low.

The Bear.

5. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

It is about time people were assessed on what they are doing / can do NOW rather than what they say or is being said about them.
    Certificates are political things when waved about when they should be personal things .

regards koyo

Bear check out aikido in Leeds thread and you shall see a complete imposter with "genuine" certificates from established associations. So sad.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  6. tedi-kuma

tedi-kuma Valued Member

WELL SAID!! Koyo.

Funny enough Bear, Hamster and myself were having a conversation with regards to the subject of gradings last night. They do not stipulate quality only political control. Personally, I'm only interested on the quality of the individual not their paper work.

Regards

Teddy Bear

7. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Exactly if Roger Siggs can fight and teach well, I'll forgive a mulititude of personal faults. When it comes to fighting you don't learn from the saints.

The Bear.

8. RAbid Hamster

Careful bear ... that sounded positive. Ran will return to berate you.
    although
    Have 'spoken' to Roger over on SFI and he strikes me a good bloke.

9. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

heh heh, yeah those ARMA guys looking to extend market share or something?

The Bear.

10. koyo

I remember having trouble setting up aikido courses under Chiba shihan because the "political body" would not recognise him unless he joined.
    I would feel insulted if these characters offered to "recognise" me!!

I have sat around too many tables with totally unfit guys "deciding" who was genuine and who was not.

Turn up, try him out if you must. Stay or go IT IS YOUR ART.

Regards koyo

11. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

Belt Up! (It's gonna be a rough ride!)

With arts like JKD, Savate, Escrima, etc., all eventually having to adopt some form of grading systems (from coloured grades to the basic instructor certificate) for a variety of reasons, including, trying to compete with the more established arts like Kung Fu & Karate....
    I think the majority of existing HWMA associations will follow suite in a few years and adopt some form of recognised grading system - even if it's just a basic instuctors certification - (the politics of success/survival!)

Happy New Year All! :love:

Louie (training with individuals with and without certificates since 1983)

12. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

Tep; the day the followers of streamlining and certefications have managed to purge WMA as efficiantly as it have EMA, we should gather and drink graveale :(
    (There's actually a ferry going from Bergen to Newcastle, so you dudes in scotland/north england is not that far away; just a night studying the ancient arts of boozing on a ferry, and practicing the arts of hangover afterwards :p
    Bjorn Stolen (training with individuals without certificates since 2002)

13. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

Hi Stolenbjorn...

It would have to be boozing on the Ferry - I've heard boozing in Norway is too expensive! :rolleyes:

Louie :D

14. Ran Pleasant

Ran Pleasant Valued Member

Please re-read my posts. I have actually suggested that we have very high standards for heros.

All of my posts have been friendly and I have not berated anyone. Therefore, please do not suggest that I have berated anyone. :rolleyes:

ARMA's focus is on quality not quantity. The organization is probably large enough already. ;)

15. Moridin2

Moridin2 Valued Member

Roger Siggs lied. He's a fraud. He did a fakey, without the snowboard. He cheated, deceived,BAM-BOOZLED. Probably got laid a few times though on account of that fake degree. (Eastern martial arts will get you laid)

He got busted, and then he admitted it. He teaches Western arts but lied about an Eastern arts degree. Shouldn't he have lied about a Western art degree? Wouldn't that be more logical?

Yes. But since people speak the same language he would lie in in the West, that means he'd been detected and exposed sooner.

I wish i could see his face the day he got busted. :D

Did i mention i have a Black belt 10th Dan in Kalahari Desert Bush Fighting?

16. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Well I for one won't be following the herd. It will signify the start of the end for WMA. Once you start certification the Dan hunters follow soon after them the McDojos offering certification in 12 weeks.
    The only way to rate an instructor is through the quality and achievement of his/her students. It's how it was done in the original fencing schools it's how it should be done today.

The Bear.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  17. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Look Ran, you got an agenda with Roger, that's your beef but don't expect people who have been round the block once or twice to blindly follow. Your talking to mainly europeans here we don't have to same puritanical values as America.

Was Roger an ARMA member?

The Bear.

18. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Heh heh don't tempt us, you could end up with a half dozens glaswegians turning up at your door.

The Bear.

19. koyo

Since I don't drink I could be the designated driver. I don't drive either but no one would notice!!!

regards koyo
    I can drive a forklift so driving backwards and parking. I am your man.

20. RAbid Hamster

I suppose there would be a certain irony to a bunch of heavily armed, drunken glaswegians getting on a boat and invading Norway. Might make up for the Vikings. Now if only we can figure out how to get some danegeld!

Teaching certificated psychos since 2007 :D