Not the best example of self defense, but it was effective

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Saved_in_Blood, Jun 27, 2013.

1. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I resided and worked in areas like this. As crazy as that, I even went into far worse interacting with poor kids.

Living in such area, everyone was looking to own attack dogs, several types of firearms, and even "decorating wrought iron" which served as "bars" to slow down break-ins.

This over-exemplified approach was a norm.

That said, once I was married, then with kids, my outlook, or approach had changed.

I changed my approach and to reiterate;

If anyone should believe they need these over-exemplified means, then perhaps they should re-examine their environment, residency, and mental capacity in the most logical conclusion. For certainty, if they do this, the approach will change.

There are options and I find it hard to believe that some way, some how, how can anyone with a family, put themselves at risk by getting into some altercation over "name calling", purposely driving slow through a bad part of town, etc.

The first step is; acknowledgment
    The second; avoidance.
    ( SD 101 )

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifehack/7-steps-to-resolve-any-problem.html

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  2. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Oh don't get me wrong I absolutely hate where I live. I want to move away from here so bad I don't know what to do. The baby is due any day now though and so money will be tight for the next few months and i'll have to take some side jobs although we managed to save up enough to be comfortable for 2 months with no work for either of us if need be.

3. 47MartialMan

I think if given the chance to step back, re-read, that responses are not meant to be hostile. And that there are underlying truths that someone should have to grasp and start to deal with

4. 47MartialMan

Saved,

I've been in your "boat". I am well aware of the hardship-difficulties. But posting such confrontations as you have, does not show someone really concerned for their own well-being. For the sake of your family, you need to avoid such. Your family needs you to be concerned with yourself to come home safe.

The first step is; acknowledgment
    The second; avoidance.
    ( SD 101 )

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lif...y-problem.html

5. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I actually live in what I consider quite a nice neighborhood, we have homes in the block are priced in the several million range. But when its summertime and the evenings get longer and the humidity increases people seem to get a little angsty... enough for a scrap in a bar with a chap who was carrying a handgun, followed by some nonsense with a guy who had access to a fully auto.

Crap happens everywhere unfortunately.

6. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I reside in a nice neighborhood, but since I have to live in the city I work, it's surrounded by sketchy areas. In the evening you can sometimes hear the gunshots from nearby. The part of town I work in is far worse. That's why I'm hoping things change soon and we can move on out of here. I'm more of a rural guy at heart and want some land and P&Q.

7. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I hear you brother. We're looking at some land right now too, tried a few months back but the leap to bumpkinville was too much for us at decision time.

8. 47MartialMan

It is difficult to "right out move". In other words, it does take some time. We have moved nearly every 10 years to more comfortable, less problematic areas.

9. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I studied a crime map in depth for frequency and type of crime for the area I live in now so I wouldn't have to worry about my wife as much. Because 'safe' often comes with 'expensive' we live a pretty spartan lifestyle. Hell, I haven't had a place to put my clothing other than the biggest shelf in our bedroom (aka the floor) for the last year. But the fridge is always full!

I'm winning right? :p

10. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

You've just said a couple of posts ago that you know your bil has a history of always seeking confrontation and being a monkey. And somehow, you did not see what was going to happen when you stopped the car so that he could go to the other person?

11. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

[​IMG]

12. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

No. Money will be tight for the next 21 years.
    Every age will have their own type of cost, but as soon as they're born, kids start costing money and it won't stop until they're moved out.

13. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

lol count. i'm 42 and have been out of the house for 25 years. i'm still costing my parents money and time. plus, being grandparents, they just love spoiling my kids.

14. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

OK I saw a few things at work here that are just universal to winning a fight. First of all and maybe most importantly he was larger and stronger looking than all but maybe one of his attackers, second his body language the whole time was assertive to say the least, in street terms he wasn't punkin out. Those two factors made him intimidating in my opnion, so instead of freezeing up in fight or flight he used that energy to fight.

He also maintained control of striking range, he was able to do this for a couple of reasons in my opnion, first he iniated combat or came into range first, and as he did that he didn't waste any time throwing punches, now I can admit his attackers didn't seem to skilled but it dosent change the fact that he stayed busy when in range.

All in all he managed those guys very well, I would say this is a very good example of not going into a passive fear response and instead using an aggressive response and a fine example of point control. Now as for technique and timing, he needs some polish lols, I think he would make a great student but hey what can I say.

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

We've got another on the way and while a son would be nice another daughter would be a LOT cheaper because we've still got a loft full of girl's stuff we can re-use. :)

16. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

That's nothing. Where I live, we hear gunshots probably four or five days a week. Of course, it's just someone shooting targets or skeet in their back pasture, but still ...

They've found a number of dead people at the place next door. Of course, that's probably because it's a cemetary, but still ...

I'm really happy that we made the jump back to bumpkinville myself. :)

17. 47MartialMan

Certain people just dont know how to avoid trouble, "almost looking for it".

And when it somes they way, they behave as if they were a victim

18. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

True. This is called the Law of Attraction. And the Law of Reciprocation (Reciprocity). Just working against you. Instead of for you.

"You become what you think about most of the time." (Earl Nightingale)

And

"The Man who throws the first punch has run out of ideas." (HG Wells)

19. 47MartialMan

Somewhat disagree to the term. Too much anecdotal evidence.

One has a "degree" of control.

Wait a minute : Simply, if someone is going to walk out in a street of heavy traffic ignoring a street light, I can see where they may "attract" a vehicle hitting them :rolleyes: