Not the best example of self defense, but it was effective

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Saved_in_Blood, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Please excuse the language in the video. The guy was called a skater f@g by these guys... apparently he didn't take to kindly to that. While he doesn't look trained, he stayed off the ground and kept moving. Interesting.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyKEeTLb9xw"]Mike Vallely Fights against 4 guys - YouTube[/ame]

2. Kave

Kave Lunatic

The guys name is in the title of the video. If you google it he is listed as a 42 year old professional wrestler and a boxer, as well as an ex professional ice hockey player and professional skateboarder. The guys he was fighting looked about 17 years old.

What you have here is a sportsman/minor-celebrity with a big ego picking a fight with a bunch of loudmouth kids. A 42 year old man should know better than getting riled up by some kids.

3. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Not getting into a fight with minors as a grown man over a social dominance display is self defense.

This is comedy.

4. Saved_in_Blood

Which is why I said "not the best example of self defense"... did you miss that part?

5. Saved_in_Blood

Well, maybe if kids these days got put in their place for running their mouth more often, there wouldn't be so many little punk kids out walking around wasting oxygen.

6. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

That isn't "Self Defense" :rolleyes:

Looks like the guy started the fight. That is him being the aggressor. No, being called a name is not a valid reason to get physical.

Effective? He attacked a bunch of kids. Their hands were down and one was giggling. Most of them didn't really fight back. One did, the others at the end are trying to calm down the altercation.

Nothing about this impressed me.

7. aaradia

So, you are advocating adults physically beating kids for name calling?

:jawdrop: Seriously?

Wow..............

8. aaradia

No, it isn't "not the best example of self defense."

It wasn't self defense at all.

9. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Just to clarify here... Mike Vallely was not a pro boxer. He may have done some boxing but my guess is that aside from the scraps he's been in... he hasn't spent any serious amount of time training as a boxer. If you have a source that shows otherwise to be true please post it up. Looking at his movement in this vid... doesn't look like a boxer to me at all. Just someone who's knows how to swing for the rafters. He only became a pro hockey player in recent years. He wasn't a pro hockey player or wrestler or boxer at the point this vid was filmed. Again if you've have any source that shows otherwise... please post up.

Err... no. The video is years old to begin with. It's got to be more than 8 or 9 years old at least! In fact this was posted ages ago on MAP. And it was already somewhat old at that time. So you're making an assumption that because he's 42 now it was shot when he was 42. I doubt thats the case.

Secondly you're having a go at Mike V. based on your assumption regarding how old the other guy looks. This is foolish to say the least. I know 15 year old kid who would swing on a full grown man without thinking about it and theres a good number of them who could lay a full grown man flat.

Mike V. got static and sorted it out. That's that. Premptive strike, ggression, violence of action and sustain. Picture perfect the way I see it. Don't try to jump in put him down for handling his business. That's crazy talk.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  10. slipthejab

Rubbish. At what point do you let the situation escalate till you don't stand a chance? Let the other person swing on you first... while outnumbered?

What world are you people living in? Obviously not one that has to deal with violence on any sort of regular basis. :confused:

11. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

First off, this video is definitely old hat for MAP and I remember seeing it when I first joined up years ago. Second . . . this is by far one of my favorite DMX songs, and the editor did an awesome job in the timing of the lyrics starting during the engagement.

This video is kind of nostalgic.

You shouldn't condone or expose yourself to videos like this Saved, Jesus wouldn't approve.

(JOKE! :p)

12. slipthejab

The vid was already being kicked around forums around the net in 2006... :p

13. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm trying to find it through the search function as I specifically remember this video being posted a long time ago. Not sure if I posted in the actual thread though and with a couple thousand posts myself this is becoming rather tedious.

Edit: If anyone has some ideas for key words it would prove helpful : P

14. Kave

Kave Lunatic

He has a history of fighting, here is him and his mates commentating on the fight you posted:
    http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/470954/

Here is a report of him brawling while watching a hockey game:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/pu...ike-V-cited-in-Niedermayer-sti?urn=nhl,204054

Here he is fighting security guards:
    http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/80634261/

And in his first hockey game for a new team he got into a fight and ended up breaking his arm:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/pu...-Vallely-loses-fight-breaks-ar?urn=nhl-282302

Here is a link to a DVD he released celebrating all his fights:
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Mike-Vs-Greatest-Hits-Vallely/dp/B0000A0WK0"]Amazon.com: Mike V's Greatest Hits: Mike Vallely: Movies & TV[/ame]

The guy is a complete idiot.

15. slipthejab

None of which addresses anything I posted really.

16. aaradia

Nope I don't deal with violence on a regular basis because I don't look for situations to get into a fight.

I don't let name calling enrage me.

I don't then go up to the people name calling me, especially if it means engaging multiple people in an adversarial manner and take off my shirt and start attacking them.

Especially when they are not in aggressive positions at all. Three have their hands down by their sides, the other one has one hand up to his face, not in a fist, but giggling like a schoolgirl.

The world I am living in seems to have a clearer understanding of when to walk away from a situation and not escalate it.

The fact that Kave posted a history of his tendancy to get into fights only reinforces that he was the aggressor in a situation where he had a some teenagers call him a name- not attack him - call him a name.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  17. Saved_in_Blood

Not in that way... I am saying that kids these days run their mouth a lot to people... and then sometimes you run across a guy like this that doesn't care how old you are. I never said he was in the right.. neither are the kids who called him a skater f@g either though are they? IMO both were at fault.

18. Saved_in_Blood

lol, yeah I know, but now I don't care what anyone here thinks of me. My God will judge me... not anyone here.

19. Saved_in_Blood

whether idiot or not, this is the kind of world we live in my friend. It is unfortunate, but has become a part of our culture.

20. slipthejab

oh please. Obviously you do or you wouldn't have posted the tidbit above. :rolleyes: