Not stretching for a day or two..

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by TaeAno, Aug 3, 2010.

1. TaeAno

TaeAno Certified Ninja

So I usually go to Taekwondo on tuesdays, thursdays, and saturdays but now my dad cannot bring me on saturdays. I do exercise at home and workout but not so much stretching. I usually like to stretch on soft surfaces not hard floors like my room. So I was wondering if in this short period of time, would my flexibility worsen at all?

p.s we mostly stretch our legs

2. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

Why can't you just stretch on the floor at home is your skin made of paper??

3. TaeAno

TaeAno Certified Ninja

I will stretch everyday, but a yes or no would be the right answer.

4. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Couple of days isn't going to harm you at all.

5. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Lie on your bed and stretch.

6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Another great option if you live in a house rather than a flat or bungalow is to utilise the staris.

One foot on the floor, the other three or four steps up. Keep both legs straight with toes pointing up and forward. Stretch down over leading leg (both sides).

Next turn the supporting leg at 90 degrees to the stair and the other again a few steps up (toes up).

This type of stretch helped me achieve the splits when I first started a stretching routine.

Make sure you warm up first btw.

7. TaeAno

TaeAno Certified Ninja

hey thanks, i'll definately try that, because I have been trying to achieve the splits for a while now!

8. Metal_Kitty

Metal_Kitty Valued Member

I definitely prefer to not miss a day of stretching or at least some form of exercise. But that's probably because I work in an office and sit on my butt all day. If I miss a day of stretching/exercise, my muscles feel gross!

9. Moi

.......but you're old!

10. Patrick Smith

Patrick Smith Tustom Cuser Uitle

Hi, TaeAno. :)

Stretching on a soft surface will not yield better results then on a hard floor. If you don't know any stretches, there are plenty for you to learn Here. Just pick one relaxed stretch per muscle group that you want to stretch and have fun.

Regarding TaeAno's original question, it depends on the methods you used to reach and maintain your flexibility. If all you do is relaxed stretching with very little to no strength and isometric training, then I would not be surprised if you had significant flexibility loss after a few days of not stretching.

TaeAno, if you haven't already, you should read the Stretching for High Kicks thread and The Beginners Guide to Flexibility in the flexibility section.

11. TaeAno

TaeAno Certified Ninja

Thanks everyone for all the help!

12. Metal_Kitty

:eek: :mad: :woo: :bang:

13. Moi

Thought I'd gotton away with that:whistle:

14. Metal_Kitty

Respect your elders!

(or else they'll kick your butt!)

15. Moi

Likewise young lady :)

16. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Where are the young ladies? :)

17. Metal_Kitty

In your basement

18. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I wish. No, not really, the wife would tar and feather me first

19. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

your flexibility won't really suffer over a couple of days, but do just stretch anyway. There are ways of stretching that do not involve grating your knees on a hard floor.