Not stopping when tapping

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by 9021oh, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Or that yeah. :)

2. Mr.Black

Mr.Black Valued Member

It's ok to start doing tehniques more realistic, and builfing pain resistance.

But

a) it shouldn't be after two months of training. Not at all.

b) i used to it that instructors inflicts pain, so as we students. BUT, not every time, not every training, and not on some dangerous stuff like neck or knee cranks. We rather build pain resistance through kicks.

I don't know for you, it' s also ok to stay, bur i wouldn't.

3. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Even at a higher belt I'd be suspect of someone holding a lock for the sake of pain resistance. I can take a fair amount of pain as I'm resisting a hold but the whole point of tapping to locks for the most part is they're jacking your body up not you're being a pussy for tapping to some pain. As far as I'm aware when a lock is on its causing damage to your body you don't hold onto it or stay in it for the sake of trying to look/act like a hard nut

4. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

There was a missing piece from the original poster that I never got an answer to, so I gave up asking. Everyone was pointing at the possible malicious intent of the instructor, but besides that I wanted to know what the original poster was taught to protect himself when the locks were applied.

Basically this equates to learning ukemi. It isn't malicious, it is perhaps negligent if the student is not taught how to ALWAYS protect themselves. The tap out is the safety net, it isn't learning how to protect yourself.

For example, those that train with armbars were probably taught very early on how to try to keep the arm slightly bent and how to roll with it in such a way that they protect themselves while the lock/takedown/submission is being applied. This works off of the "flinch" reflect so that if you are ever in a bad situation, your first response is one that helps protect you. Ukemi!

Later on, this ukemi can lead to learning how to counter an attacker, but there are times in training that you do not counter so that people can learn according to the lesson plan. However, this does not mean you should not always be taking measures to protect yourself. Tapping out is not learning how to protect yourself, it is the safety net.

So I asked the OP to ask the instructor what he should do to protect himself during the locks for training... until they start to work countering, which is preferred to resisting. One step at a time.

5. weaponsplus

weaponsplus Valued Member

Yep you need to tell your insuctor this so he knows, I had an insuctor like that.

6. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

This ^
    If you want to stretch, stretch. That is not the time. There are very few people out there who are good enough to do this safely and to a good effect and you don't want to screw around without being sure you're with one of them.