Not inspired to do weights :(.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by KidCanFight, Jul 31, 2005.

1. KidCanFight

KidCanFight good is not good enough

I was wondering if anyone has had this problem or knows how to fix it.

About a year ago, I started weights. I did them for about 9 months, and started to get muscles and got stronger. Now however, I just dont feel like doing them. I think of all the benefits, go into my weight room, do some bench press and bicep curl, and then get so bored I just have a shower and watch TV. I used to be really excited about doing weights, but now im just not interested, even though I wish I was.

Any ideas about how I could get inspired about weights again?

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

LOL!

Bin the television! :D

Seriously... think of it in these terms...

What are you doing today that is going to benefit you in 10 years?

(particulalry hilarious - coming from Mr. Post 8 zillion Richard Simmons photos... but anyhow) :D

Is anything you've see on the tele gonna help you to be hooked up in 10 years?

Nope. You'll be fat from eating in front of it and half brain dead from watching the crap that's on it.

Another idea is to get out and change up your work out. Get outside and some outside stuff.

Example:

1) Go for a hike or a climb

2) Do some new routines with medicine ball

3) Set some goals for yourself (size, weight etc.)

4) Get some mates to work out with you

anyhow... variety is usually best for keeping it fun.

3. Unisonus

Unisonus Bloody Rare, Please

You should set a goal for yourself. No one picks up heavy objects just for the sake of picking up heavy objects.

For example, right now I'm working on my squat. Nothing is more satisfying than going to the gym, putting more weight on the bar, but pulling off those same five reps with the same ease. I can SEE myself getting stronger. It helps if your progress is quantifiable.

Similarly, if you want to look better - set a certain body-fat percentage for yourself, or look to make your arms larger and have a tape-measure at hand.

And if all that doesn't get you going: work hard, get those endorphins flowing, and you can settle for the healthiest high in the world! ;)

4. KidCanFight

Thanks for both of those ideas.

I need a goal. Obvously, saying "I want to weights to get stronger, fitter and better at martial arts" is not enough.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2005
  5. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

Are we supposed to have sympathy because you're lazy?

6. KidCanFight

Not lazy, just uninspired.

BYW, is 14 too young to be doing weights?

7. CraigLeeJKD

CraigLeeJKD formerly 'into_the_abyss'

I don't think it's too young, I started at 14. Just make sure you always stretch before and after your workout.

8. fixationdarknes

fixationdarknes Valued Member

If you're lifting heavy, it would be best to do no stretching before. And 14 is not too young. I started recently as a 15 year old, and I wish I started when I was 12.

And maybe the reason you're bored with weight training is because you only bench and curl? If you want a "fun" exercise, try deadlifting. IMO it's the most exhilarating lift ever! Also you need to squat, son.

Another thing you could try is turn on some adrenaline-pumping music. That might help. It always works for me. And just set goals and look up to others who have achieved what you hope to achieve some day and just do it. If you want it badly enough, you'll do it.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2005
  9. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

Lazy = uninspired.

10. Developing

Developing Valued Member

Variety. Consistently doing the same thing without any change over a period of time can get boring for any activity. Things become exciting when it's something new because you don't know what to expect now you have to think. Otherwise your just going through the motions. That's bad for weight training and other aspects of your martial arts training.

11. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Lift really heavy weights, that way you do yourself physical injury and have to lay of the weights then whilst you'r resting up (Because God hates us) you will start to really really want to do weights just because you can't. Then when you do heal up, voila! You have the motivation to do weights al;l over again.

12. NewLearner

NewLearner Valued Member

In your goal setting, be SMART. Specific, Measurable, Agreed, Realistic, Timely.

I will increase my 1 rep Maximum by x pounds in the next 12 weeks.

You will be far more likely to make your goals this way.

As far as age to start, the idea of it stunting your growth has gone down the tubes lately. Most people don't agree with that anymore. I was 11 when I started lifting. By 14 I was doing a lot of weightlifting for football.

13. soon

soon New Member

If your weights room is in your house, get yourself down the gym. You will be paying money here so you will want to get your worth. You are also away from home distractions. Now and again a meathead will stride pass and look at you as if you were something undesirable on the sole of his shoe. This will probably give you a good bit of motivation. Get a friend to go with you and egg you on. Above all, go and lift some weight you damned weakling! :D

14. SCP_Kensei

SCP_Kensei www.taintedlover.com

Get a training partner.

Nothing will spur you on to do more weights than having someone go set for set with you. I am a weights addict but even I get bored sometimes, having anothe rperson there makes it so much easier.

15. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

Think what you'll be like in 10 years. Think how much MORE weight you'll be able to lift. Think how much bigger you'll be. Think how shirts will fit. Think about how much strength you'll gain. Those should help motivate you. I know something that motivates me is lifting heavy. Pitting myself against the iron is magical. Also, to keep yourself from getting bored, cycle exercises every so often. . There's all sorts of things to motivate you. Remember, you're not the strongest in the world, nor the biggest, but you can aim to be it. That should keep you busy....:D

16. laoch

laoch New Member

One thing I know helps me motivate is just reading and researching exercise and whatnot. I know that if I don't feel like goin to the gym I just hop online and start reading a forum or article about working out and within a few minutes I've gotten myself excited to try something new and I'm out the door like a shot on my way to the gym. Just my $.02.
    cheers,
    Jay

17. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

As far as the age thing goes, I wouldn't be lifting too heavy, something you can manage about 8 or more times, and don't lift to failure. But definitely, don't be scared of lifting.

At your age it'd be more beneficial to keep it FUN! Try everything, regular lifting, Olympic lifting, real-world lifting, clubbells, dumbbells, 'sissy' things like swiss balls, bosu balls (damn those things are fun). At your age, and I'm sure you'll love me for saying this, but you probably don't have the maturation to see too far into the future, hell I don't, and I'm 5 years older, and I can barely see tomorrow :D

Well best of luck, keep it fun

18. fixationdarknes

fixationdarknes Valued Member

Why do you say that, ninjamonkey? I assume you're saying this for safety reasons, correct? As long as he is careful (like everyone should be), there's nothing wrong with lifting heavy, although being a newbie, you should probably lift in the 6-10 rep range anyway because newbies (kinda like me:)) seem to gain best that way.

19. KidCanFight

Hooray im inspired now. Heres what ive done.

1. Im going to measure my arms at the start of every months to try to improve.
    2. Put my favourite excercises near the end so I have to to the lame ones first.

Thats about it. Hooray!

20. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Imagine going into a room and doing martial arts alone. Sure you'd be bored of that in 9 months. I've got rid of my home weights. I get a lot more motivated at the gym were your surrounded by like minded people. And as with your martial arts training you go because you also enjoy the social side to it.

I'd say try training with friends or at a gym?