north-south mount escapes

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by beknar, Sep 20, 2007.

1. beknar

beknar Valued Member

So I'm looking for north-south escapes. I find some. Unfortunately, they involve:

a) a gi
    b) pushing your feet up past your head to roll out of it

Any thoughts on a no-gi escape and one that doesn't require the typical rollover? Any time I do any kind of tumbling, I get all dizzy. Yes yes, I can hear all of the 'man up and just do it' comments, but maybe I'd just like to have another alternative.

2. Mikey Triangles

Mikey Triangles Neo-Ninja

can you bring your knees to your chest?

just bump him up to create space, and bring your knee in under his shoulders and use thewm to spin you back into guard... or a triangle.

3. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Hm

Haven't done any jits in a while, but I would think a good way would be to trap the arms and spin, reversing into a north-south in your favor?

4. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I'm assuming you're on the bottom?

5. fanatical

fanatical Cool crow

I disagree, unless your opponent has had his legs severed in an accident.

6. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

I keep my elbows in to make space, and slowly pendulum my legs out till I have space to spin and reverse, or get to my knees.

If not that, then I frustrate them by playing tight until they go for another position or loosen their base by attempting a sub.

7. beknar

beknar Valued Member

Thanks for the tips, guys! I'll drill these for a bit.

8. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Question: The North-South you are working with, is the pressure mainly on the sides of the head or on a single point on the chest?

9. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

I struggle under North South like not other position, the pendulum escape is the only one I've had a lot of success with.

10. beknar

beknar Valued Member

I've felt it on either one in different situations. Will this affect the kind of escape I want to use?

11. Shiho-Nage

Shiho-Nage I'm okay to go.

Bite their groin while you repeatedly knee them in the face.

12. Yohan

What is "pendulum?"

13. Atharel

Atharel Errant

Do you mean bite the cloth covering their abdomen while you hilariously hit the top of their head with the soft part of your thighs?

Lately I'm having a lot of success with bringing the knees in and spinning to guard.

14. Yohan

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

15. KempoFist

The switching of your hips back and forth to make your butt slide across the ground. Your legs look much like pendulum of a grandfather clock swaying back and forth.

Here is a move I was coincidentally just working on the other day
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umYtZQlIpMA"]bjj north south escape - YouTube[/ame]

They don't swing their hips in the same way I just described, but they use the same idea to grab near the hip and make space.

16. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Where the pressure is doesn't so much affect the kind of escape it just determines more what parts of your body you are able to move. If the pressure is a point in the center of your chest, your hips and legs are still free to move, so you can use them to transition to a better position. On the other hand, your shoulders and torso will be pinned and hard to move, unless you are big and strong enough to just force your way free.

At the same time, you should be applying your own pressure. In the escape with pressure on your chest, you use your hips and legs like a pendulum AND use your arms to apply pressure to the opponent's hips, slowly this relieves the pressure on your own chest allowing you to escape and counter.

Now if the pressure in on the sides of your head, then it is your head that is pinned, the rest of your body can move freely. So using your shoulders can help you escape (for instance, tucking your chin down and raising your shoulders like a turtle retracting his head into his shell). The arms again are used to apply pressure to the hips.

So in conclusion, if you can't power your way out, use what you can move to help you escape and apply pressure.

17. Yohan

Like Shrimping??

P.S. that escape is really crackheaded looking. Can you apply that pretty well?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  18. KempoFist

Well shrimping is one way, but the typical problem you run into is the person on top making up the distance by shimmying forward keeping his hips square. I extend my feet out straight like I'm doing a leg lift, and straighten my arms to prevent them from closing the space while swinging (pendulum) my legs back and forth till I am out from underneath.

As for the rolling up to take the back, I can't apply that for **** myself. I usually buck on an angle, either roll to my knees, or spin into guard or a triangle.

19. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

If I have a choice I want to get to my knees from the North/South bottom position. Usually I will use several moves to create misdirection ie. pendulum attempt to guard, attempting going up the back, etc. to set up a simple bump (to create space) on an angle and get to my knees and then from their take a leg and work my way to the crossbody. :cool:

20. Yohan

Ok - I'm pretty sure I know what you are talking about - it's essentially walking with the hips, correct?