Non fight related situations where MA's came usefull

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by 6footgeek, Aug 8, 2010.

1. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

Hi. something interesting happened today and i wondered if you people ever had interesting non fight\self defence situations where a MA technique, concept, movement came in usefull. i'm talking about anything, pinches, kicks, footwork, takedowns whatever.

today i was fixing my bed. picked up a pillow, and there was a lizard underneath it which panicked and darted straight towards me. Now i was terribly startled at the movement, scared even and incstictively lunged back like i lunge away from kicks, kind of mawashi geri'd one foot on my table and then climbed on top of it.

Yes yes i know. total defeat via lizard fu =P *reptile wins*

made me think though. i play table tennis and all my back hand smashes are like the wrist thrust strikes in praying mantis. i bridge my arms while changing sleeping positions.

Any of you guys see such things happen to you in your daily life?

2. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Falling off my mountain bike or in moshpits. Those breakfalls were damn useful :)

3. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

You ever walked quickly through a packed city street? You can spot the dancer or martial artist immediately, they're the ones actually moving lol

4. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Pulled a girl the other week who was interested/intreged/repused/turned on by the idea of cage fighting. I had a bit of a black eye going on at the time. win :)

5. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Wait until you get groupies

6. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Falling off of my bike years ago was a really specific use of techniques learned in class.
    I recently started playing Airsoft, and for those that don't know, it's like Paintball with pellets and a more military-simulation atmosphere.
    Anyway, the idea of patient aggression learned from grappling came in very useful. Not getting attached to a position or angle saved me many times. The willingness to throw away a sketchy position or attack and keep calmly shifting towards a place where winning is a sure thing is important in many many situations.
    If you want a broad illustration of the interplay between attack and openings, get into paintball or airsoft.
    The conditioning helped a lot, too. It allowed me to keep moving smoothly and stay low and fluid when I was tired or otherwise would have been lazy about it.

7. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

triangular entry is great for passing through crowds.

8. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

splitting foodstuffs (cereal bars, etc) exactly down the middle with knife hands is always nice as a party trick.

on a similar note, i also tend to brutally attack chocolate bars that have been in the fridge too long and hardened past my ability to snap pieces off them (occasionally the chocolate wins :p)

9. Metal_Kitty

Metal_Kitty Valued Member

Defense against being tickled by my boyfriend

But we have a system where I'm allowed to tap out now after being pinned down and tickle-tortured! :)

10. Estrix

Estrix Valued Member

In a somewhat more round about way, the confidence I've developed over the years of training have helped in all the areas of my life, just in my general day to day interactions with people. I'm pretty convinced its the training that's made me assertive and confident, and consequently able to control my life and the world around me much better.

11. Hatamoto

My tai chi teacher said he pulled in a club once by doing the fei sau (tai chi "dance") form lol

Fish, you and I are more alike than I thought. Awesome hair aside :p

Another example, I don't sleep well, a lot of nights I'm awake (like tonight, could only sleep 12.30am till 3.30am, then spent until 6.30am trying to get back to sleep before giving up) while my mother's in bed, so I move more smoothly and with better balance even when moving slowly going up and down stairs and across the landing - lot of creaks involved if I didn't know how to shift my weight more softly and that. Tai chi in the dark, woot

12. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

hmmm. i've always wondered why they don't allow tickle attacks in UFC... they should be damn usefull for getting donminant position or escaping one =P
    No, reallY!

Hatamoto... i think rather than making a movie called Indian love guru, they shoulda made the TaichI love guru =P

Fish of doom: you know what, next time i have a really resilient bar of chocolate, i'm setting it up and breaking it.... kyokushin style =P

Ratty: thats a really interesting take on the subject.

Corona virus. Breakfalls. mine usually break while i'm falling :'(

13. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

ive used a backwards roll over my shoulder at airsoft once i learned from bjj but that was kind of wierd. Main thing really is breakfalls especially during the snow in the uk over new year and elbowing my leg when im bored

14. Matias

Matias Smoky Fist

Well to meh it comes in somewhat unfortunate...

My friends did the scare-in-a-box trick at xmas. When the guy popped out, I instinctively jabbed him on the nose. Of course the ones to follow were conscious, but you get the point.

15. Hatamoto

You think you got problems, one time my mother was screaming at me, my adrenaline was FLYING, and I saw her hand twitch. Don't think I need to detail the rest.

The downside to training for preventing getting hit, you respond when someone tries it. Ain't that a bitch?

16. Matias

Matias Smoky Fist

ROFL! :bang:

17. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Because everyone knows that if you get tickled hard enough you pee. And sweaty, muscular men clad in spandex shorts rolling around in pee... well... it's just wrong.:confused:

18. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Unless it's yellow spandex

19. General_Tso

General_Tso Valued Member

Horse stance is great when you are searching through the refrigerator for some chow..Can really get a good look at those lower selves..

20. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

dude, you just reminded me.

shotokan kokutsu dachi when aiming shots in pool or snooker.