No more slo-mo cardio?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by YODA, Apr 3, 2003.

1. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Here's an excellent article I've just been reading. Feel free to discuss :D

No more slo-mo cardio

Crikey! 2000 Posts!!!

2. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

Hi Yoda,

Some interesting points I guess but not sure I like the style of writing. Have you recommended HIIT training before - I vaguely recall reading about it previously?

One hilarious part:

Yeah as long as the action involves sitting on a pec-dec looking at themselves in the mirror or maybe a little flexing routine for the other 'roid-heads!

Having said that the interval training suggested does seem to logically make sense for MA's. I mean we train & fight in similar intervals varying between levels of intensity. I'm not a sport scientist though. Do you think the programme is enough for to stimulate significant fat-loss.

The 30 second jog / 30 second sprint split is this good. It seems that the sprint and rest periods are too short to sufficently allow heart rate to fall? Also what % of max heart rate should we head for in each period i.e. is a jog 50-60% and a sprint 85-90%?

In my current battle of the bulge I have just bought a heart-rate monitor in order to finally try some interval training. So 3 to 4 sessions a week for the next 2 months - how much can I expect to loose?

By the way how do I calcualte body-fat percentage and where do I get those caliper things you need? I seem to remember being at about 13% when I started at the academy 2.5 years ago and I've definielty lost fat since then so I don't think I'm it terrible shape but it would be nice to see all my abs just once more!

Also I thought the 2 tables were a pretty unnecessary way of explaining a pretty simple concept. I mean there are only 2 periods (jog/sprint) and every 3rd session you add a minute.

3. Jay

Jay New Member

Spooky .. I printed that article off last week !! 4 mins of exercise - I can handle that :)

Gonna try and follow it.

Jay

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Yes - I include it in my training.

I still do endurance based CV though.