No Grappling?

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by KSN_Princess, Apr 16, 2012.

1. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

so who is the ks practitioner that competes amateur or pro in mma?

2. VegasMichelle

VegasMichelle Valued Member

I don't want to expose her name just yet but she is a top 15 fighter in her weight-class and top 75 pound for pound in the world according to multiple different sources including Unified WMMA and Fightmatrix. All her losses were to higher ranked opponents.

Admittedly, women's MMA is probably not at the same level as the men just yet but how many people out there can claim top 15 in ANYTHING in the world?

3. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

exposing her name would bring discussion of her televised matches and how she uses her kuk sul techniques. this would be great because she is an innovator if she only trains in the dojang.

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

http://www.mmarising.com/rankings/womens-pound-for-pound-top-15/

Top 15 Women’s Pound-For-Pound MMA Rankings * * 1.*“Rowdy” Ronda Rousey *(5-0-0) * 2.*Sarah Kaufman *(15-1-0) * 3.*Jessica “Jag” Aguilar *(14-4-0) * 4.*Tara LaRosa *(21-2-0) * 5.*Megumi “Mega Megu” Fujii *(25-2-0) * 6.*Miesha “Takedown” Tate *(12-3-0) * 7.*Ayaka Hamasaki *(8-0-0) * 8.*Alexis “Ally-Gator” Davis *(12-5-0) * 9.*Naho “Sugi Rock” Sugiyama *(8-0-0) 10.*Sara McMann *(6-0-0) 11.*Rosi “The Surgeon” Sexton *(13-2-0) 12.*Marloes “Rumina” Coenen *(20-5-0) 13.*Sheila “The German Tank” Gaff *(10-4-1) 14.*Jessica Penne *(9-1-0) 15.*Hiroko “Cat’s Eye” Yamanaka *

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

She is top 75 p4p Fusen so won't be on that list....top 15 was her weight class

6. Dead_pool

7. Dead_pool

Oppps, and they say chokes dont effect the brain!

8. SeeDarkly

SeeDarkly Valued Member

I tend to disagree there my friend:) The other 2.7% contains biting, gouging. spitting, hair pulling , fish hooking etc?
    Because I have had the misfortune to end up on the ground once or twice outside the gym and both times contained the above. No picture perfect armbars there :)

9. Dead_pool

Positionally its the same, posturally its the same i.e. a highly controlling Mount is still mount, a poor guard is still guard, Having inside control so they cant grab is still inside control. Tactically its different i.e. Which techniques you choise to use come from a smaller catagory, no pulling guard, chokes over armbars etc

10. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Absolutely, 100% right, S-D. Thinking of situations such as, say, the stadium in New Orleans during KATRINA is an excellent example of what happens when society breaks down and people are left to there own devices. Reports are that people literally circled-up in the stands to form a perimeter with possessions and children inside the ring. People moved about in large groups, if only to use the declining toliet facilities. And where were the police? Why they had all left their duty posts and abandoned the populace. Under conditions like that there are no nicey-nice, "please-don't-do-that" responses.People wind-up in bad shape and I would have no intentions of being the last one. :)

Down here in Mississippi we just ducked another storm and as friendly as the locals are here and how they all pull together, you really don't want to joke around about messing with someone while they are stressed-out about these storms. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

11. Dead_pool

Eh? Non sequitur, or are are you saying grappling only works in SD if the other person is nice enough to not claw your eyes?

12. SeeDarkly

SeeDarkly Valued Member

I think he means the mindset and intent. Grappling is a tough discipline, very rugged for sure. Grappling on the nasty end is a whole different level of intensity. It works sure, but there is a whole lot of extras that go with it. Just one eye gouge can end a fight. I read once a jiu jitsu practioner got into a street fight by misfortune, he took the guy down armbarred him and broke his arm in several places-the attacker? Didn't even flinch.
    I think Bruce was referring to the situation once the human animal rears it's ugly head.

13. Dead_pool

You should read the mcmap after action reports from Afgan and iraq, very eye opening.

14. SeeDarkly

SeeDarkly Valued Member

I'd rather not, I have a few friends that have been out there-what they have told me is enough, they are far braver men than I.

15. Humbleseeker

Humbleseeker Valued Member

The biggest reason why I chose Kuk Sool was because of the ground work. Actually it was my 13 yr old sons biggest reason. I stink at it. He wasn't disappointed we hit the mats at least once a week. I get smoked but I am learning a little something.

16. Hannibal

Why Kuk Sool for groundwork? The standard is nowhere near the level that would make it a deciding factor

17. Humbleseeker

Well we could have went to Miletich Fighting Systems in Bettendorf but I wanted to go a more traditional route. I am not interested in BJJ my son would like it, but I wanted to do it with him so it was a compromise. I think we just got lucky this place does a lot of grappling.

18. Humbleseeker

Also I know nothing about martial arts other than what I have read or what I have practiced this last month. So we are sort of just going in blind. I get a good work out either way.

19. Hannibal

As long as you enjoy it that's the main thing, it was just the phrase that threw me off a bit

20. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

When you say "grappling", they're doing a lot of sparring on the ground something like a BJJ school would?