"No Gi Judo" Videos thread

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Done-Gone, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Done-Gone

Done-Gone Banned Banned

Excuse? For what?

BTW: kissing little girls? Most folks look down on that sort of behaviour. KISS OFF!

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I do think he has a point that by making it such a big deal when a girl has beaten a boy that it makes it into something it isn't as it's just one kid beating another kid. It's kind of a lose -lose situation for the boys of pretty much any age at the best of times fighting women. Better not to highlight the gender so much

3. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

Awwwe, bless her. She did well, and it was the little girl's first match, and I can see why JC took offence to Matt saying 'no big deal' To a little child, their family and the little child's Sensei it is a big deal, their child's first match. :)

4. Done-Gone

Done-Gone Banned Banned

Or you could do what I do when I compete with those of the opposite gender. Be a gentleman and let them win. Turn a lose - lose situation into a win - win.

5. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

I'm sure most self respecting Martial Artists would disagree with you there. Regardless of gender.

6. Done-Gone

Done-Gone Banned Banned

You dont really believe I let them beat me, do you? I do! And I turn a lose - lose into a win - win. She wins the match, I win her respect, as well as the respect and admiration of the spectators... especially the ladies. TRY IT SOME TIME, IT DOES WORK. :jawdrop::happy:

7. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Isn't that the same thing? You're basically saying that no woman will beat you unless you let them. What value is there for a woman in sparring with a guy if he always let's her win? She builds a false sense of achievement which at best makes her think she is better than she is and at worst could put her in a real self defence position which she believes she is prepared for. Women aren't stupid, if you're bigger and stronger they know the odds aren't in their favour, it just makes the achievement of a real win that much sweeter.

8. SenseiMattKlein

SenseiMattKlein Engage, Maverick

Hi Blade, I meant no disrespect to the girl when I stated it was no big deal, and I was not taking anything away from her accomplishments, but with a headline like 'Little Girl beats-up Boy", you're gonna stir something up. Not to mention the additional shame the little boy will feel if someone he knows gets wind that the video is on this forum, and now quite public.

9. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

Of course you didnt. :) I was merely pointing out why JC could take offense to it.

and this is true as well. Poor choice of words on JC's part. i agree.

as for 'letting' girls win, I wouldnt like that. I for example hated when my brother 'let' me win at something. Of course i hated losing too, but i didnt want a win just 'handed' to me because i'm a girl and he's a guy.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  10. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

An opinion that you're welcome too, however much I may disagree. We have had enough gender equality in training debates to last a life time.

This does however, lead me to ask whether you share or teach your above method of letting women/girls/lesser matched opponents win to your students?

To comment on the original clip: I would be very wary of meeting either of those children in a few years time....tough kids! :D

11. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Video is not available. :' S

powchoy

12. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Personally I have no respect for any man who would let me win because I'm a woman. It is disrespectful to me and serves no purpose other than to make the man feel like his some sort of noble knight. It also has the potential to be dangerous by making me think I'm better than I am and in a self defence situation that could cost me my life.

13. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Hate to break it to you Frodo, but all those times you beat up Moi and Mitch when they snuck into your bedroom at night... they just let you win.

Or so that's what they're telling all the lads down the pub.

14. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

I'm 20, probably much younger than you.. and still I'm going to tell you, you have to grow up. :/

Your attitude towards women is demeaning and the way you deal with people you disagree with I can get from my 5 year old god child.

15. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Methinks some folks are getting their panties in a twist at some misunderstood humour.

16. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Cute children, but what happened on the final tapout? Where was the ref? How many times does a person have to tap before the ref stops the fight? I was a little worried there at the end.

As Matt Klein said, I'm glad that wasn't my son who just got ridiculed.

But the girl did fine. Very cute. I bet she has a good judo teacher. :)

17. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

I have mixed feelings about the clip and the competition - I don't like people shouting from the sidelines - other than general encouragement.

As to the letting girls win thing - I used to train in a karate club where one of the black belts a lady was given an easy time in sparring by some of the larger males - I NEVER EVER EVER did anything but my best - and most of the time I would win, but as we trained together more often her fighting skills improved (as did mine) and fun was had by all.

And as a matter of fact I have sparred with women who could KICK MY A$$ - I treat anyone who steps onto the mat and is there to train to the best of their ability with 100% respect.

Of course there are times when you limit what you do in sparring - there may be no point using strength techniques (e.g. some throws) if you are with someone half your weight - that doesn't mean you don't train effectively you just train so that both people benefit.

18. jh1

jh1 Valued Member

What is so great about a win by advantage?The Spikey kid was stalling. I was more impressed with the other kid towards the end working his way back to half guard.

19. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Oh no the lady has skill and beats me fair and square, that baby oil makes it so difficult to get a purchase. In fact I know a couple of women I wouldn't want to fight, i would lose

20. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

That's were the no gi practice comes in - sweat/baby oil, same difference really!