Nlp

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by khafra, Oct 9, 2002.

1. khafra

khafra New Member

Neuro-linguistic Programming. Looks like the new wave of the DSI.

The example I saw went like this:
    Does anybody here work with NLP? What other applications have you found useful (turning on "fight mode" in yourself as well as turning it off in others, etc.). What are some good articles on the subject? NLP.org, ANLP.org, and NLP.com don't have too much besides about 3 recommended books.

2. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

http://www.mnet.fr/nlp/nlp.htm

http://www.purenlp.com/ (Charisma enhancement? Sheesh!)

http://www.nlpco.com/index.html
    Master Practitioner
    The Advanced 20-Day Training that Dramatically Enhances Your Mastery with NLP! Take your personal evolution with NLP to new levels of artistry.
    (er...)

http://skepdic.com/neurolin.html

OK...from what I have read...which honestly isn't that much...meditation can do about the same thing. So can being brought up with decent manners. I am hugely skeptical here..how did you hear about it Khafra?

3. khafra

khafra New Member

On the Internal Strength yahoo group, that's where a lot of the DSI's top guys talk. Obviously, there's a significant amount of non-martial applications out there, which is why it's hard to get to what I'm really interested in.

4. Melanie

Cheers for that khafra...seems I am now on 35 forums :D

5. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

i hav done NLP with hypnotism to change bad habbits :D
    hmm may be i can use it in MA...thought never come to my mind...
    -TkdWarrior-

6. Thomas Vince

Thomas Vince New Member

I once met a Master of NLP his name is Tony Robbins. My favorite topics of NLP regard how you can pace and lead someone and build instant rapport with a complete stranger by making them think that you are just like them.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2002
  7. Melanie

I must know more NLP than I realised then...

I am a sales rep by day and have always found it relatively easy to get along with complete strangers...probably why I thought it was a good idea to take up self defence in the first place???

8. khafra

khafra New Member

Probably are, Melanie. I got the idea that NLP was used semi-regularly in non-martial applications, but I didn't know it was this widely used. Seems like there'd be more on the subject than those three 15 year old books.

And perhaps I've started some of our members with significant experience in both fields into developing some martial applications, I'm very curious to see what you come up with, Thomas Vince and TKDwarrior.

9. Thomas Vince

Thomas Vince New Member

Khafra,
    NLP (nuero linguistic programming ) talks about matching and mirroring people in order to change the ideas of who you are. The best way to do this is with body language and tonality levels. We sit like they do, we talk like they do, express with our hands like they do and before you know it we are now leading them.
    In Kenpo we can use this mirroring idea against our opponent. Many times if you match stances with the opponent like you are looking in a mirror you can discover the weaknesses and strengths of the opponent. Also by matching his movements as if in a mirror you can effectively gain the upper hand in closing the gap on them when they commit to an attack. you can also break his rythem by matching him and then immediatly change the tempo, or stuter you movement, this will break them.
    When modeling, which is matching or mirroring a person you want to be like, you have to do it with precision. You can discover what masters know in little time by discovering thier:

*Beliefs ( you must elicit thier key beliefs about what they do best and why they believe this )
    *Syntax ( duplicate the order and sequence of the movements)
    *Physiology (discover what is critical versus what is ideo-syncratic)

Now simply install those attributes into your brain and you will do what they do as well as they do it! This works because you now believe it, you have the order and sequence of movement and you have the physiology to carry out the movement sproperly.
    Every Martial Art Instructor is teaching this in some way or another. I teach this way and it is simple and effective.

10. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

hmmm thnx for sharing that thomas...
    well the kind of NLP i used was basically was to change bad habbit...i did it quite good... but didn't chage bad habbit actually a good habbit to a bad one... :D
    one of my freind who's budding cartoonist/designer actually he neeeded solution...he was just too much into it, can't get it out of his head...he had so much probs that sometimes he used to draw even in his answers sheets(rite there in xams)... so i basicaly re-programmed his mind to much usefull ways... yup he got rid of his probs...
    it follows the same routine as thomas described getting more familar with theirself and then... realising them that u(or they) r rigth...as u r their heads they tends to think ur way...
    sorry if u can't get hold of my stories...it;s kind a hard to explain..
    -TkdWarrior-

11. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Hi all

I looked into NLP a while back, read some books, researched in online etc.

Some very good stuff & I learned a lot BUT it seems the whole NLP thing is run very much like a cult. I know people who have been sucked into paying a fortune for weekend seminars etc and they come out of it different people - and not for the better.

12. khafra

khafra New Member

Scary. Well, I'll still plan on training with the DSI people if I ever live close enough to, until they start working Scientology into their training...