Nito Ryu and Niten Ichi Ryu

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by shaolin_hendrix, Nov 21, 2005.

1. shaolin_hendrix

shaolin_hendrix Hooray for Zoidberg!

What's the difference between Nito Ryu Kenjutsu and Niten Ichi Ryu Kenjutsu?

2. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

As far as I am aware - not much. My Japanese is pretty aweful but I believe the following is correct.

'Niten Ichi Ryu' - 'Two Swords, One Heaven Style'

'Nito Ryu' - 'Two Swords Style'

I think the former is the style of Musashi Miyamoto. The latter can be shorthand for the former but I think others developed two sword styles of fighting as well, so this one might also serve as a generic term for any sword style that uses Katana and Wakizashi.

Someone with a bit more knowledge could well correct me though.

3. Sojiro

Sojiro New Member

i've been reading up on the guy, found a cool book about him too, gonna buy it next payday >.<"

i'm not certain, but i do recall name-changes to the style as it 'evolved', by musashi himself.
    it was at first Niten Ryu, and Niten Ichi Ryu was what the name of the style was renamed to after further development.

again, not entirely sure about the above but i am sure it is something along the lines of

i'll try find the quote in a bit, and if nobody else has replied on it or corrected me then i'll post it tommorow morning...

ps, there is a thread in this Weapons section about Fan fighting...i did actually post a link to a website in that thread, dedicated to Miyamoto Musashi, and that site (and affiliated sites) is the source of most of my info, so maybe better reading up on the style from there ^_~

4. Sojiro

Sojiro New Member

and something i forgot to mention, i do remember there being another name to the style, besides Niten Ryu and Niten Ichi Ryu~

5. Sojiro

Sojiro New Member

http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Courtyard/1553/ken.html

6. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

I have never heard of Nito ryu. Nito is a general word describing the use of both the long and short swords at the same time. Kendo has players that use nito, and several koryu have nito techniques as a part of their curriculum.

When reading the web site referenced above, please bear in mind the author's disclaimers that he doesn't read kanji and is not a Japanese historian. That web site is made from English language sources, and misinformation about Musashi and his life is far easier to come by than true information. The best place I have found for information about Musashi is Hyakutake sensei's web site ... http://www.hyoho.com/

7. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

There is no reference to Sword in the ideograms contained in the name of Niten Ichi-ryu. 二天一流 Is Two heavens as one tradition in straight translation.

Like PG Smith said, go visit http://www.hyoho.com It's run by Mr. Colin Hyakutake, who has trained in the school for quite a number of years and has Menkyo Kaiden.

8. splice

splice New Member

Kenji Tokitsu's book has a nice section on the ryu and its descendants. Other names for the ryu included, I believe, Niten Masana Ryu and Musashi Ryu. I also believe that "Enmyo ryu" is wrong and should be "Enmei ryu". Same kanji, different reading. I found a message over on e-budo by Meik Skoss that claims both are accepted, but Enmei ryu is the more common term.

But Nito Ryu? I doubt the school was called that. Maybe Colin can correct me on that if I'm wrong; he has access to many documents none of us have seen or heard of.

9. shootodog

shootodog restless native

never heard of a nitoryu. ittoryu kenjutsu, i've heard of.

10. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Nito-ryu is a particular (albeit rare) competition method used in kendo. Kendo practicioners use both a long shinai which is a little lighter than a normal shinai and also use a kodachi shinai. If I remember correctly, you are allowed to parry with either sword, but you are only allowed to score a point with the long shinai.

[​IMG]

Nothing to do with Koryu Kenjutsu.

11. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

That's interesting. I thought it was referred to as simply 'nito' in the same way they refer to 'jodan' and 'chuden' players. Never knew they threw 'ryu' on the end. Learn something new every day!

12. Hyaku

Hyaku Master of Nothing

Well to open a can of worms some people who do nito kendo makes claims that what they do is adapted from the Niten Ichiryu. One would have to make adaptations to such an extent that it would not longer resembles the original. So I see little point. Still it's a free world. They are more than welcome to dod what they do if they think its of relevance. But I really cant see them applyong for membership of Kobudo Kyokai.

Here is a bit I wrote on Sword Forumrelating to "ten" and "to":Niten Ichiryu relates to Kannon, Goddess of Mercy and Fudo Myo: He converts anger into salvation. Fudo seeks to frighten people into accepting the teachings of Dainichi and carries "kurikara" or devil-subduing sword in right hand that represents wisdom cutting through ignorance. Often seen seated or standing on rock because he is "immovable" in his faith. Both are protectors of Buddha and the God's that Musashi particularly liked.

This is the meaning as far a Niten Ichiryu is concerned. Japanese has On yomi and Kun yomi (two readings) So its possible to use the same kanji and get two, even more meanings. Even more in English as it is so ambiguous in translation.

This question seems to crop up a lot. Maybe I should add something to the site.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2005