Nissan Leaf and other EVs

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Stevebjj, May 28, 2010.

1. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Hey guys. I put my $99 down to reserve my place in line for a Nissan Leaf back in April. I know it's very early and I'm taking a big gamble on an untested car... but what the hell. I'm in a position to be able to afford it, and I am in favor of reducing our dependancy on foreign oil and on supporting alternative fuel technologies.

What do you guys think?

I also saw this Tesla, but at $50k after tax credits, it's a little outside my price range.

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

3. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Yeah, exactly... I almost never go over 100 miles in a day. Charge it every night and I'm good.

They're claiming that the batteries should maintain 70 to 80% charge capacity over 10 years. Charging at 440 volts (quick charge stations) will push it closer to the 70% line while charging at home on a 240 volt circuit will keep it closer to 80%.

As far as the engine noise, I've tried imagining that. I've heard that they're pushing for a noise generator in them that will create at least a minimum amount of noise so that people (particularly the blind) can hear it coming. If that's true, I'd LOVE to figure out how to change it from whatever fake noise they come up with to the Jetson's car noise. :)

4. Simon

A friend of mine has a BMW in which the engine stops when you are stationary and starts again when you put your foot on the gas. It feels real strange until you get used to it.

5. Omicron

Omicron is around.

Awesome! I want one.

6. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

Looks great!

7. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

For people in major metro areas, I think Nissan Leafs and the like will make a lot of sense. I doubt they'll get the advertised battery range in the real world, but when your commute is 8 miles of gridlock, it doesn't matter whether it's limit is 100 miles or 80. It'll be GREAT for big cities.

For those of us who don't live in large cities, EVs are a non-starter (and hybrids aren't as useful either). I'd like to see more than just VW and some luxury brands (i.e., BMW and Mercedes-Benz) offering clean diesels for the US market. A biodiesel compact or midsize sedan or crossover makes a heapload of sense when you live out in the country or in a small city.

8. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

If you are going 8 miles in a city (or anywhere) the answer is push bike.

9. Simon

You are from Oxford, where the car is seen as evil. :rolleyes:

10. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

If you care enough to spend $000's on an electric car, you should care enough to sweat a tiny bit and save co2 and $000's

11. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Subject to practicalities I think that's a very good point. People seem increasingly unwilling to use their legs to pedal. Similarly, unless there is a bus stop almost directly outside their place of work and their house they seem uninterested in public transport either.

Unfortunately public transport is poorly organised and sometimes seems almost deliberately designed to put people off using it. I seem to remember that the train timetable for me into Nottingham meant I could get there either too early for work or too late. Lunacy.

Right, I'm off to ride my motorbike with the terrible economy and ridiculous performance for no purpose other than pleasure. :D *

Mitch

*Actually I'm off to read a bedtime story then go training.

12. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

How far do you drive in the average day, Mitlov? I'm just curious. I think that most people (not you, necessarily) think they drive further than they actually do because of traffic congestion and such.

Bike's would be practical in the city, but where I live, you'd be literally risking your life. It's an area that's really not set up for bikes or even pedestrians. If I wanted to bike to work, I'd have to ride about 6 or 7 miles along a 2 lane road with no shoulder and traffic averaging 50mph. I'd end up dead in a ditch.

13. Simon

You are right, the car is overused. Unfortunately public transport is not practical for me. I am in the office at 06.30 in the morning and I work 60 miles from home.

As for the short journeys, I am either taking my wife and 4 kids out or going training, where I carry several large bags, so for me riding is just a hobby.

14. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Right. Clearly you've never tried to ride a pushbike in a business suit, with 30 lbs of client files, and two passengers, in the pouring rain. Or even just with five bags of perishable groceries in the summer heat, for that matter.

15. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Then clearly, an elec car with 100 miles range is not for you.

I think its only a matter of time until the government massively taxes firms who employ people who need to do big commutes.

16. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

My current round trip to work is a very short (for the area) 12 miles. Until recently, it was 35 miles (southern Ashland to central Medford and back). But I routinely drive far much than that in a 24 hour period, and trips to Grants Pass (60 mile round trip) are anything but rare.

The longest commute I've had recently was in 2005, when I had a 130-mile round trip (living in Eugene, OR and working half the week in Eugene, but half the week in Salem, OR).

17. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

I lived with only a push bike as my only (or main) transport for years and years, until about 10 years ago, its not that hard.

And if you are only doing 8 miles to work, 99% of the time, not riding a bike is a cop out.

18. Simon

You are probably right, but without derailing the tread, the world has opened up. People trade not only across the country but across the globe. Video conferencing is okay, but we need to get out and see our clients.
    How much does the government waste on travel. Big talking point in this country at the moment.

19. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I wear a wool suit everyday and more often then not are carrying client files with me to home and back. If I showed up to work with helmet hair, a frayed pant leg, and a sweaty shirt, I would get sent home. If I got client files soaked in a surprise downpour, I would likely get fired.

I would be more hesitant to judge people if you don't know their circumstances. What works for somebody does not necessarily work for everybody.

20. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Hey people manage it all the time.

You just need a guy in a limo to follow you carrying your files and suit (you are not in the UK so you won't get it)