Ninjutsu

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Bruce Lee, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

There may have been some that shortened the sword by a few inches, but they would be the exception rather than the rule. From my training, the length of the blade has little to do with how fast you draw, the "secret" being that you also pull your scabbard back from the blade as you draw. Since the ninja made their own swords, they could make the blade as long (or short) as the desired. The same with the scabbard.
    A quick history of the ninja-to can be found in Hatsumi's book "Ninjutsu, History and Tradition", page 93. And in Stephen Hayes' book "The Ninja and Their Secret Fighting Art" pages 88-93.

On a side note: My own quick draw skills have something to be desired since I haven't had a sword of my own to practice with in awhile. But, by observing those with beautiful technique, both speed and accuracy, I have noticed they pull back the scabbard as they draw. This goes hand-in-hand with what I was taught. Also. the drawing of the blade is also the first cut. In any case, the timing of the drawing and the distance from your opponent were just as important a factor as the speed of the draw.

2. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Yeah I know...my brother has practiced iaijutsu for almost 10 years...very fast drawing...he has helped me alot with drawing...I've noticed pulling back the scabbard as well...but I have also noticed a few inches can save alot of time too... but I guess you are right,I will check out those books. :D

3. ichiro katsumor

ichiro katsumor New Member

very good books just got history and tradition its one of the best books ive come accross

4. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Okay...I can't find anywhere to get them, but when I do I will read on that.

5. ichiro katsumor

make an internet search for them if you cant afford them tell me and ill copy the books onto the comp and email them to you

6. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Thanks,today I bought Ninjitsu history and tradition...I have only read a few pages but it seems interesting.

7. ichiro katsumor

good its very informative

8. Kagebushi

Kagebushi New Member

About a bigger Tsuka, they were often used as steps for short walls,(but only if you mean handguard, i have always heard it referred to as a "tsuba") and the blades were shorter so they would fit through tight spaces, although more speed was likely a reason too.

9. Juzo

Juzo New Member

Tsuka is handle, Tsuba is hand guard.

10. Kagebushi

Kagebushi New Member

oh thanx for correcting that (not sarcastic)