Ninjutsu - Tradition, History, and Spirituality

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by sshh, Mar 10, 2004.

1. sshh

sshh Not Talking Anymore

Found this an interesting read. It is informative and well-researched, and may serve as a source of answers to many FAQ's:

http://jmcollado.com/historia/N.T.Eingl.html

Enjoy!

Here are a couple excerpts:

"It could be argued that there are at least three ways of categorizing the art of NINJUTSU:

The first one is that of the layman or woman which identifies it, of course, with the image perceived through all sorts of films, which ranges from anything like mutant turtles to black clad assassins who kill people by throwing metal stars and disappear behind a smoke curtain. This childish-magical image is altered according to the age, education and imagination of the individual.

. . ."

"In our approach to this martial art, we will develop certain interesting aspects such as:

*the origin of NINJUTSU and its place in the history of Japan
    *the spiritual side of NINJUTSU
    *its content as a martial art
    *the TRADITIONAL SCHOOLS to date
    *and the relationship of this martial art with the KATANA, as a symbol of self development
    . . ."

"The ninja families in the IGA, KOGA, and NEGORO regions (between KYOTO and NAGOYA), formed about 73 different schools, were employed by feudal lords due to their knowledge of strategy, infiltration and combat proficiency.
    . . ."

2. sshh

sshh Not Talking Anymore

wow, no replies

Would anyone like to share their feelings on this article? Any discrepancies one can find between it and their own experience, or research?

Excerpts:

"The book "Comments on NIN JUTSU" is published in 1921, which together with other books ... were favourably received, although not on a practical level.

However it helped towards creating an interest for something which was apparently extinct. ...

The future of NIN JUTSU seems assured, ... the horizon of NIN JUTSU would have to be found in the writings of one of the last NINJA : TAKAMATSU SENSEI, who said:

'When opening his eyes and spirit, the ninja can follow the subtle changes of the seasons and the heavenly laws, only changing what it needs to be changed, forever adapting, in such a manner that eventually nothing can take him aback'."

"An essential concept in Ninjutsu lore is that of the "TEN-CHI-JIN", in which the role of man (JIN) is manifested as a catalyst between the heavenly (TEN) and earthly (CHI) forces."

"As you can see, the comprehensive study and assimilation of all these techniques, gave rise to a prototype of warrior, whose preparation and efficiency made it very difficult to match."

3. Deshi

Deshi New Member

Well, no substantive things I find wrong...

BUT there is a much better (I think) article about Ninjutsu history that as more truth-feel in it: http://www.jigokudojo.com/ then click on 'Articles' then click on 'History of the Koga Ryu' by Donald Roley.

As for the artuicle you posted... it goes into some interesting modern sides of the question of ninjutsu. As for the origins, it mentions yamabushi and ronin but nothing about displaced Chinese warriors, which may have contributed quite a bit to the development of some ninjutsu 'stuff', not to mention our most favorite samurai ryu, Gyokko Ryu.

The discussion of the Kuji-kiri and Ninpo Mikkyo seems to suffer from some of the misconceptions that have been talked about in the related thread on this forum.

To quote now from that article: "Nin-jutsu, which together with other combat systems ,is exemplified by the sword, brings this brief approach on a martial art to an end: NIN JUTSU, which in these technological, senseless violent and fiercely competitive times, is shown to us shrouded in the mist of the past."

After all that, and it's STILL shrouded in mist? Phrases like this make me feel that the author is more interested in mummy dust than in archaeology, if you know what I mean. I also can't agree that ninjutsu is exemplified in the sword, because even in the Kanji for Nin a sword is only half of it.

Sorry if I sound arrogant - please someone shoot me down! No really I mean it!

4. sshh

sshh Not Talking Anymore

The articles section of the jigoku dojo website is very good. They have a lot of articles / interviews of Hatsumi sensei too (e.g. http://www.jigokudojo.com/interview1.htm) . I skimmed some of the Don Roley article. It was very long, so I'll have to check it out in greater detail when I have more time.

p.s. Gyokko Ryu a samurai school? I can't see how. They have some sword and spear stuff, but it has a lot of ninpo philosophy in it, and nothing I've seen concerning wearing armor. It seems like more of an independent system that was adopted by the ninja of Iga. Similarly with Takagi Youshin Ryu, I often hear this called a samurai ryu, which is a little more reasonable than saying the same about Gyokko or Koto Ryu. Takagi Youshin looks like more of an unarmed bodyguard style, used mostly indoors, and not on the battlefield.

I'll have to go check my sources again, but that's how I've always felt on that issue.