Ninjutsu & the Five Elements

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Chase, Feb 28, 2004.

1. sshh

sshh Not Talking Anymore

Besides, isn't the earth-water-fire-wind model a bit outdated? Now we have over a hundred elements in chemistry, and physics is coming up with a near-infinite variety of elemental particles.

"How about this kata? Does it have a cesium feeling? Should I be using a neutrino strike here?"

We are supposed to be modern warriors right?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2005
  2. NZ Ninja

NZ Ninja Live wire.

I first started training in Maai Hyoshi Bujutsu in about 96,we were taught sanshin and Kihon happo back then.I only Know one type of Sanshin.
    Sanshin is very important as it is a foundation for which other forms are linked and built upon.The Sanshin Kata on its own is very effective when known how to apply it properly.Sui and Ka are the most used Sanshin kata{justmy view} so learning how to counter them is important.
    If you took this Kata away from the Art you may as well walk around with your eyes blindfolded and your hands tied behind your back.

All the best!!

3. Grimjack

Grimjack Dangerous but not serious

That is the thing that gets me about people who try to claim that the godai can be a usefull tool to understanding Soke's art. Soke, the Japanese shihan and everyone closely connected to Soke such as yourself do not stress it or reference it.

So, how are people CERTAIN that it can be a way to understand Soke's art? those closest to the source do not stress it. So are these people saying they know so much that they can make these definate statements? What conceit!!!!!!

4. r erman

r erman Valued Member

Dale,

Would you say this was because of limitations of SKH's Godai--at least at that time two decades ago--or perhaps the limits of the people that only had a rudimentary understanding of the model?

Thanks

5. Dale Seago

Dale Seago Matthew 7:6

My personal feeling is that it was a limitation of the model. It can be a very useful tool, initially, to understand and categorize certain sorts of feelings and to integrate them with movement. But there is SO much in the training -- as we've gotten it from Hatsumi sensei and the Japanese shihan -- that doesn't lend itself to that sort of categorization, that I feel the model very quickly becomes much more of a liability than an asset.