Ninjutsu School to Avoid

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Aegis, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I saw this on Facebook and thought it warranted a repost here for safety reasons in case anyone's looking for a place to train in that area.

The school in question is calling itself the Ninja Order of all things, and was founded by Travis Maxson, who claims to have received a Menkyo Kaiden. He currently teaches the classes based on his style's syllabus, which includes the following:

• Aiki Jujitsu
    • Yawara Jujitsu
    • Kano Jujitsu
    • Kodokan Judo (aka Kano Jujitsu, incidentally)
    • Yoshi Te-Geri Ryu Karate
    • Okugi No Jujitsu
    None of these are ninjutsu, of course, so presumably he's claiming to teach these as add-ons to his main system. Five additional systems seems a little unlikely.

As with all bad ninja schools, there's some terrible swordwork. And naturally they put it on Youtube thinking it would actually be in their favour:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRL0ahZ0Qe0"]Chotan Ichimi - YouTube[/ame]

I think anyone who has been to even one iaido lesson will be able to analyse how bad this looks - for those that haven't it's utter garbage. It's literally like he only picked up a sword for the first time that day. Part of me is really hoping that this is a parody of his school and that he's not actually this bad, especially since the website indicates that they train with live blades.

All of this is bad enough, but the worst parts are truly awful:

• There's a women-only class being set up
    • The founder is a convicted sex offender, having forced a female student to perform oral sex on him as punishment for touching his black sash without permission.
    Full details of the case are available here, though it makes for some fairly harrowing reading. It's possible to cross check the profile against the sheriff's department profile page if you're in the area.

Now, he may well have served his time, but I wouldn't want any female friend or relative of mine to train in his school based on both his criminal record and his history of essentially setting himself up as a cult leader. Couple that with the fact that he's clearly passing himself off as something he's not and apparently teaching stuff he doesn't have a clue about, and you have one of the worst schools I've ever even heard of.

2. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

That was insanely disturbing and difficult to read.

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Difficult to read, but the advice in that article is excellent and should be mandatory reading for every martial arts student.

4. Mangosteen

That video... that video... it looked like he had never even watched a youtube video of people doing any martial arts ever...

5. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

shame the comments are turned off on YouTube. I wanted to ask him some questions :evil:

6. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Too busy sexually assaulting his students to train.

7. Mangosteen

I tried using the report function at the bottom of his web page.

I wonder if his new students know about his crimes?

8. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

9. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Serious question, although I think I know the answer already.

Is there a stance in any system of martial arts like the one at 20 seconds? Or the weird bow stance with knees collapsed like at :51?

I can't even past the stances to look at what he does with the sword. But maybe it has some validity in another system?

10. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

Looked like he was trying to do the goat stance from wing chun with sword. Scary… I liked most of the points brought up in the article, but don't agree that you "must" discuss any concerns you have with the instructor you have the concerns about. Instead of confronting them, you should talk to people outside of your martial art as well if you have concerns. That way you get more than just the party line. Sexual assault is probably a lot more common in the martial arts than most people want to think. It is sad but the reality is that many instructors aren't prepared or professional enough to know how to behave with their new found power.

11. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

It looks like the worst aspects of a call of duty griefer meshed with a back up dancer from an amateur production of west side story, point is, there isn't a whole lot i'd describe as martial going on.

12. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Wow.

That is the scariest looking martial arts school bar none.

13. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

That iaito demo is enough reason to skip this school/dojo. I didn't see anything I would recognize as solid handling technique or movement/stances from any iaito style. Even the noto doesn't make sense. If that were a real shinken he would've hurt himself very badly.

14. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

I would hope no one uses such stances! :eek: The stance at :51 looks like it comes from ballet and has no martial purpose AFAIK. It certainly has no place in a sword art-too easy to come off balance if you were to do any kind of effective block.

15. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

At 20 seconds it looks like he's trying to do sonkyo as for the rest? The mind boggles.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  16. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

At 20 seconds, yes, in a sense. Kendo competitions begin with both fighters squatting like that. (If your knees are such that you can't or shouldn't squat, then you drop your sword tip to the ground as the other guy squats.) But they rise up very suddenly and smoothly in kendo and boom, attack immediately.

Edit: Like Dean said, the kendo term for that squatting pose is "sonkyo."

At 51 seconds, I don't know, but regardless he appears to be off balance in his thrust, so it was done poorly even if that stance is legitimate.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  17. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I scanned the syllabus page. I want to learn "Thunderbolt stick tactics." I'm picturing Thor's hammer, and lightening coming out of it. :D :jester:

18. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

I pictured it as a stick version of the hurticane. :D

19. Christianson

Christianson Valued Member

I hardly wish to defend this -- every aspect of it is poor -- but I'm curious as to why you think his sheathing doesn't make sense. I would describe it as derivative (if a very poor and unsafe derivation) of some fairly standard noto.

20. StrikingDragon

StrikingDragon Valued Member

Can he teach me how to throw a chi ball as well?