Ninjutsu Maho Hiden - Takada Schunichiro - 1917

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Botta Dritta, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Botta Dritta

Botta Dritta Valued Member

After reading Eric Saha's excellent translations of Gingetsu Itoh's early 20th century works on ninjutsu, I've been looking about for other early stuff written post Meiji Restoration .

I stumbled upon this list of books:

http://namachapanda.xxxxxxxx.jp

Most of them are known to me including the background of the authors, who have been well discussed elsewhere. But one book and name to me is totally alien.

Ninjutsu Maho Hiden by Takada Schunichiro -1917

I have never heard of it and as its from in 1917, pre dating Gingetsu's proper published work (as opposed to his newspaper Articles) on ninjutsu by 2 years, it might be interesting

Any of you budding ninjustu practitioners can shed alight on this?

2. CMM

CMM New Member

I'm not sure this helps, but is this what you're looking for?

3. CMM

CMM New Member

Rats--double post! Sorry!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  4. Meitetsu

Meitetsu Valued Member

Actually this is one of those books i have had on the back burner for a while. The only reason I haven't been more proactive is that it has chapters like "Napoleon's Ninjutsu Research"

5. Botta Dritta

Oh but you are teasing us Eric! After the "ninjutsu and catholicism" stuff of Kane Doshi you have to give it your best shot. I initially thought the whole jesuits using ninjutsu like techniques was utter BS. Then looking into it I learned that they ran no less than 15 academies in Italy teaching fortification science and gunpowder/ artlillery which was one of the reasons they could ingratiate themselves with local cultures, the chinese emperor let the jesuits hang about almost soley for their expertise on this field. Futhermore there are numerous reports of them using 'scientific based' party tricks and illusions to impress upon locals the power of catholic miracles (though admittedly the reports are from the new world, yet to find any sources from japan).

Now you are saying there is a chapter in this book on napoleon researching ninjutsu? Well give it a whirl, you might be suprised.

6. Meitetsu

Meitetsu Valued Member

That whole subject has hardly been touched eh? My last couple of books have been on Koryu arts (except for Senjutsu and Ninjutsu) but Im sort of getting an itch for Ninjutsu something or other. Actually checking out Ninja no Seikatsu by Yamaguchi as we speak. So maybe that. Or that napoleon Ninja book. Or the Gingetsu book i haven't done yet. And i have to finish Seppuku. And Heiho. And Kansuke.

7. Botta Dritta

Well I guess you're spoiled for choice! Incidentally, the Jesuits had made a translationSun Tzu's the art of war, which as we know includes the theory of five types of spies. We don't know of course if napoleon had a copy but one of the more outlandish theories is that it was one of the volumes of his portable library on military tactics and strategy which followed him around on campaign. I'm guessing that the book alludes to spies rather than specifically to ninjutsu.

8. Botta Dritta

Thanks for this.However my Japanese is limited at best and I certainly can't read it.

9. Meitetsu

Meitetsu Valued Member

Wow so it could be true? May have to redouble my efforts and half finish another book...

10. jchristoph1

jchristoph1 Valued Member

Hey Eric,

Thank you for making the translations you've made. I haven't gotten around to reading all of them yet, but I really like the ones I have read and the rest are on my Amazon Wish List.

11. Meitetsu

Meitetsu Valued Member

It is learning as i go! Any other suggestions? The people have to have been dead for more than 50 years...

12. Botta Dritta

I would personally would prefer a translation on Itoh's last untranslated book for the sake of completeness (though I'm guessing he will be going over much of the same content). I've bought all the others and would like to trace the development of his thought on the subject matter (Is the book called Ninjutsu and Alchemy or something along those lines?).

A little more biography unearthed on the chap such as an appendix tracing his movement and other written works (especially the non martial arts related ones) would be greatly appreciated, much like you did with his last book. Also an short essay from yourself on your final thoughts on the subject would be great. You deserve some spotlight yourself as the translator.

13. jchristoph1

Over a year ago, one gentleman in the Bujinkan said something to me about you having an untranslated something-or-other that somehow relates to the Toda family. If that's the case, I'd love to read that.

14. Meitetsu

Meitetsu Valued Member

Hmm.., not sure what that would be. A book? Or just a scrap of something?

I should do the third Itoh book eventually though it does seem just to be a warm up for Gendaijin no Ninjutsu. Possibly a transcript of his lectures. And I can't find his grave or obituary or descendents...

15. jchristoph1

I never went as far as to ask about the exact thing he was talking about.

That's really interesting, though, that you can't find Gingetsu Itoh's grave, obituary, or descendants. In any case, more "Ninjutsu Something-or-other" would be a great itch to scratch and I'm looking forward to what you have in store for us next!