Ninjutsu Gear

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Mugen Tenshi, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Mugen Tenshi

Mugen Tenshi New Member

I just got myself a spare 350 $ to spend on trainning gear, but I'm only 9th Kyu so I dont really know what to focus my trainning on. Could anyone give me tips on what items to buy

Thnx!

2. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

What ever your Sensei sees fit, ask him before us we aren't at your school. :p

3. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

350 $, wow! You could get a lot of stuff with that. I would definitely get a bo and a hanbo; can't go wrong with those. A jutte might also be nice. How about an Action Flex stick? (like a padded bo, only shorter; since it's soft, you can spar all-out with them). If you have anybody to train with when you're not in class, a pair of focus mitts would also be useful.

If I think of more, I'll post again. All the stuff I mentioned wouldn't use up the $350.

(By the way, I'm just 9th kyu myself, but I've used all the stuff I've mentioned, in my classes).

4. Zamfoo

Zamfoo Valued Member

YEAH GO 9th KYU!!! hah. As mentioned before, ask your sensei, my suggestion the above stated like focus mitts and maybe a bokken for sword practice

5. Mugen Tenshi

Mugen Tenshi New Member

Yeah, I`ve used hanbo and bo myself, that might be a nice choice to start with.
    But I`ve seen a few variations of those... do you think a steel hanbo is better or should I stick with wood?

Another question: If I get a bladeless ninja-tou for training, can I sharpen it later on or does it affect the quality of the blade?

Thanks

6. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

I've never seen a steel bo. The wood ones work perfectly well, but you have to get the varnish off of them so your hands can slide along them properly (the varnish can make the bo sticky and hard to maneuver). From what I hear, the best way to do this is to wrap some fine-grain sandpaper around the bo (one piece for each hand), then hold the bo with your hands wrapped around the sandpaper, then practice solitary drills with the bo, sliding your hands up and down its length.

7. ninja4u2hire

ninja4u2hire Valued Member

Well, with $350 you could buy a few things, hanbo, bo, practice sword, jutte, shuko, another uniform, new tabbi's, shuriken, knives of different sizes...
    Check martialartssupermarket.com. They have camo, and white ninja gi's, and they're good quality.

8. Kanja

Kanja New Member

I Agree

9. Mugen Tenshi

Mugen Tenshi New Member

Hmm... camo seems nice :)

Thanks

10. havoc123

havoc123 New Member

Personaly i wouldnt go with the ninja-to just cuz its not as easily weilded as a katana and its not as strong. actually the ninja-to was usually just a peice of metal that the ninja found and sharpened. They were really just junk. The katana was a fine peice of work in that it's durability was far better than that of a ninja-to and also it was just made beter it could hold its edge for a longer time, it was folded 300x and the curve in the blade made it quicker and easier to draw.

As for the sharpening of the blade u could try it but i wouldnt suggest it. Id just buy another sword of maybe better quality and craftsmanship. but thats just me.

11. Zamfoo

Zamfoo Valued Member

i love your sig havoc because i'm the same. i would also go with the katana atleast in my small amount of training it's the only weapon we've ever used.

12. xplasma

xplasma Banned Banned

Hey which ninpo dojo in Colorado are you at, cause we had a couple a guys from Colorado at the Tactical Ninjutsu Retreat in New York this past labor day. One was a Sensei (Shodan) I forgot his name, but he is ex military shaved head, and has a lot of previous expirence, if that rings a bell.

I am over at Havoc's dojo, actually another dojo within Long Island Ninjutsu Centers, (Hanata Dojo, I believe havoc you said you were at Shin Shin under Sensei Frank)

13. Zamfoo

Zamfoo Valued Member

well i believe it's the Ten Chi Jin Ninpo Dojo but now it's called like Kaizen Martial Arts. I'm not sure that description rings a bell maybe this person has't come in a while i don't know.

14. xplasma

xplasma Banned Banned

Ok, I think he was from the Ninpiden Dojo, but I wasn't 100%.

15. havoc123

havoc123 New Member

Actually i messed up on the name its the Yasuragi(sp?) over in port jeff. I train under Sensei Joe. Hope to see u at the shiai.

16. havoc123

havoc123 New Member

i was soo ****ed my parents didnt let me go on the ninja retreat up at Renshi's ranch. I heard it as a blast.

17. xplasma

xplasma Banned Banned

oooh that moved Sensei Joe over to Port Jeff. I remember hima nd Sensei Chuck as 3rd Kyus and was at their black belt test. That's awesome they gave him this own school! He is really good and still only one I lose to at grapppling ( I a good amount of BJJ expirence).

18. Zamfoo

Zamfoo Valued Member

the ninpiden dojo just visited our dojo was this guy like a purple belt or something?

19. havoc123

havoc123 New Member

funny u should mention grappeling plasma, he just beat the hell outta me today in it. i was telling him about this forum today and he wants to know who u r.
    my god he destroyed me today its not funny how much of a beating he gave me. u know even tho he beat me senceless and im having trouble moving my hand i still wanna try it again. altho im sure hell just kill me again.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2003
  20. xplasma

xplasma Banned Banned

I looked at the site and saw that both Sensei Joe's are over there. I am assume you are talking about the young one around (19 or 20). Tell Sensei Joe that its Bryan (Yellow Belt (Go Kyu)) from West Islip Dojo, the one that goes to Binghamton, and grapples alot.