Ninjutsu Form...HELP

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Kevin W Collins, May 21, 2015.

1. Kevin W Collins

Kevin W Collins Valued Member

that youtube clip portrays something that is a total insult all the way around...it is stupid to think that something called "Rex Kwon Do" is truly authentic and it looks to me like a clip from a film titled Napolean Dynamite as revealed by another clip with 2 of the same people. It's people like Mr. Rex in that clip that make people like me look bad not to mention thats so-called "Rex Kwon Do" of the hollywood movie stream.

Rex would be the type to come on here hollering, "Hey, look at me...join my class for 300 dollars" Its totally insulting to the martial arts and anyone who has anything to do with the martial arts from just being attracted to it all the way up to the best of the best of the best.

As I said many times and i will say it again...it doesn't matter to me if i created my own style or not and neither does it matter to me if I teach anyone ever ever again...so whats the point in harping on me...I mean really?

And thats not to mention that the so called ninjutsu form in my op here isnt something I came up with...it was something being taught to me at one time and people just automatically went off on me without giving me the chance to say that it didnt take me long to leave that training.

Who cares if I started my own style!!! It's no big deal really...I'm not here advertising or anything like that.

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  2. benkyoka

benkyoka one million times

Look at the thread title and tell me that's not a big "hey look at me".

Of course it doesn't matter to you. You're not a real martial artist nor apparently are you interested in becoming one. You want for yourself easily and quickly what others have spent a lot of effort, time, and resources on. It's kind of insulting, actually. We can only expect conversations like this.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbX3NAUSKTY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbX3NAUSKTY[/ame]

3. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

I think it's a case of it being irrelevant how you feel about creating your own style, it's about the perception of others toward you for creating your own style off a pedigree that hasn't been established, and trying to relate to people who have sought mastery in styles that have.

4. Kevin W Collins

It's not created off the so-called style that so-called form came from...what I created was created long before that was being taught to me and 3 days after being taught it I left and never went back.

what I created has established histories. My uncle...a pro-wrester who also took judo/jujitsu and moo duk kwan taught me as well as others...I would expect him to be called a fraud too because nobody knows who he was and nobody knows he was even teaching it to anybody...and those are not all that I have learned either. And I dont even have a name to call my style.

I feel it is wrong to be harping on someone who isnt trying to make his own molehill of a creation into a mountain as if to say it is way better than what everybody else is in or has done.

It's utterly rediculous IMO

5. Plusminus

Plusminus Valued Member

Hello.

This is the Ninjutsu forum. Ofttimes, discussion goes around general principles found in what some call the Takamatsu-den arts, that might have nothing to do with ninjutsu - and this is OK.

However, Kevin W Collins, you asked a very specific question and, at some point, got a very specific answer. That was about the time when you probably should have typed something along the lines of, "Thank you, I'll go revise my notes now."

But you didn't. :)

As much as I frown upon trolling, I do have to thank you for the Sho Kosugi reference. Be well.

6. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

I never stated that it was.

While i realize you had previously stated this, you must understand there is no way to gauge your uncle's level of skill as an instructor as you have not stated what, if any level of ranks or achievements he received as a student of these arts, he may have taught others, but there is no way to know if he was qualified to do so, particularly if he was changing these arts himself.

I don't think you can really call it a style, you have studied a number of styles and come to conclusions based upon what you have learned, I've studied more than one style of fighting, but that doesn't mean that by mixing them in a physical confrontation I've created my own.

Further more, i am not harping, i am trying to provide my interpretation of a situation you were seemingly exacerbated by.

7. Kevin W Collins

Takamatsu-den arts as taught by Toshitsugu Takamatsu...the one that Soke Masaaki Hatsumi learned from??? Isn't he the one that inspired Soke to have anything to do with Ninpo Ninjutsu...now referred to as Budo Taijutsu Ninjutsu. Takamatsu-den or Budo Taijutsu...to me it is still ninjutsu.

On very specific question and answer...I shall take the advice and thank you. :)

Be well in return

8. Kevin W Collins

well as far as my uncle being qualified to teach anyone anything...I can't say for certain because I honestly don't know, but everything he taught was right on...and for him to be teaching his family...doesn't most everybody do that whether qualified or not???

I do know his ranks in each one...

Pro-wrestling...self-explanatory...A pro yes, but not well known.

Judo/Jujitsu...brown belt...this was not tournament judo that he took...he took the judo that was taught not for tournament. The one who trained him in judo was also a teacher of jujitsu.

Moo Duk Kwan...he said brown belt...the pic of him i seen in his gi had 3 black stipes on his white belt. When I asked him about the difference in 3rd degree white belt and brown belt in Moo Duk Kwan, he said they are equal to each other.

He would never tell who his instructors were. He told us that for the purpose of him teaching his family...it doesn't matter who he learned from and I felt no reason to argue with him on that.

On top of all that...I would not put it past that man to be blowing smoke at least a little bit.

Concerning creating my own...maybe it is best to just stick with, "I have studied a few styles" rather than saying, "I have created my own and don't even know what to call it." As far as those I have taught...maybe i should just say, "I helped them become better confident in knowing they CAN win while they understood that they may not ALWAYS win."

9. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

While this is true, instruction from a family member doesn't really translate to being instructed by a fully accredited teacher, my father gave me instruction from his background Wing Chun, Chow Gar Tong Long and Shorin-Ryu Karate (3rd dan black belt), but i couldn't with a straight face claim i'm a practitioner of any of these styles, let alone claim to draw from them to create my own style, as for his level of qualification i cannot comment, i do not know what the distinction between tournament judo and non tournament judo is, and i am unaware of what particular style Moo Duk Kwan refers to, Either Tang Soo Do, Hwa Soo Do, Soo Bak Do or Moo Duk Kwan Taekwondo, which also leaves me ignorant of the belt system, and it's implication on the validity of instruction by a practitioner of that level.

10. Kevin W Collins

Other training I have...

My 1st cousin (about 15 or 20 years older than me) was taught by a student of one of Bruce Lee's students named Billy who was at some time or another a member of the Japanese Koku-Ryu-Kai Black Dragon Society. The student named Billy appeared in a few of Bruce's movies, though I'm not sure which ones.

That is where I get mixed up about what all exactly I was taught and I may have been taught all of the styles referred to behind the names and the Koku-Ryu-Kai founder.

Keeping in mind that my cousin, and Billy's student who taught my cousin, were more than likely not qualified to teach...I can only trace the styles back to Billy and Bruce Lee whose styles have been well documented. I believe Billy learned from Bruce before he founded JKD.

Not really sure how legit this next one is but I seen a video of this instructor as an instructor student of Stephen K. Hayes, though I'm not sure if it was under his Ninpo Ninjutsu era or under his To-Shin Do Quest Centers. The form I inquired about and posted here on the forum was being taught by this instructor.

Other training I have consists of whatever my brother and I seen in the movies, we practiced and practiced and practiced and sparred and sparred and sparred some more. Whatever we seen in the movies. Well, not all the gymnastics.

None of the above training was formal in any way. I would love to take up ninjutsu but I'm not sure when exactly. In my research I find so far that the Bujinkan is most convenient for me and mostly fits what I am looking for. I did have the Shodan No Maki by Shihan Richard Van Donk until my ex wife destroyed it a few years back.

11. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

Your shodan from Rvd is no great loss

12. Kevin W Collins

It was $300 she made sure went down the drain...so yes it was a $300 loss.

13. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

You were charged $300 for a blackbelt? Did that include the video training?

14. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Almost 100% certainty this is untrue - not necessarily you telling the lie, just being given one and passing it on

15. Kevin W Collins

Not $300 for a black belt...the manual covered from white belt (10th kyu) first test was 9th Kyu to pass white belt then through the ranks to 1st kyu then the 1 dan test is in person to pass to Black belt. It also included a 1 year membership as a member of the bujinkan which gave me access to their websites member training vault for that year. Yes it was the video course as that is what was most convenient for me at the time.

With the move from Michigan to Georgia that still is most convenient for me but transportation is a current issue right now.

I have read that there is a bujinkan Shidoshi here in my town but I'm not sure which faction of the Bujinkan he is a part of.

I know about the Bujinkan (IBDA) members in Atlanta known as The Georgia Boys, however Atlanta is over an hour drive away from me.

16. Kevin W Collins

Not sure if Billy was ever credited in Bruce's movies but it wasn't Billy who taught my cousin...it was a student of Billy who taught my cousin. That student was Billy's student after being trained by Bruce but before Bruce introduced JKD.

Wasn't sure if I made that clear enough.

As far as Billy's status with the Koku-Ryu-Kai...I cannot expound on that.

17. Kevin W Collins

That's not to mention the military jujitsu I learned when I was in the Army. I am a disabled American veteran who suffers from PTSD and bipolar and the martial arts help me stay focused.

UFC/MMA and tournament are not places I need to be. I'm seeking a non-combat stuctured martial art where I can enjoy what I am doing without feeling pressured into fighting or winning some trophy or cash. Thus, in my research I find the Bujinkan best fitting for my needs. It also may be important to let everyone know that I have no criminal background at all.

18. Pankeeki

Pankeeki Valued Member

Hahahaha you must be pulling our leg, hahahahahaha

19. Kevin W Collins

Pulling your legs...really

20. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Three questions, What is military jiu jitsu? Why seek martial training that is non combative? Why would it be important to stress a lack of a criminal background?