Ninjutsu for Self Defence

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Emil, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Maybe look into Genbukan if it just has to be Ninpo/Taijutsu or nothing, too?

2. Big Will

Big Will NinpƓ Ikkan

Well, it depends on the student. If the student cannot see if an instructor is bad, there's a 99,9% chance he wouldn't be able to understand and study the intricacies and complexity of a 900 year old weapons based martial art under a true master. So if the student is happy under a worthless teacher, let him be.

3. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Utter bollocks.

4. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

I don't know where to begin picking this apart, there's almost too much to face getting into.

The palpable levels of elitiism and self regard are probably the primary things to highlight, as its the simplest and most toxic element of your post.

I feel I'm sufficiently experienced to see that the majority of BJK training isn't fit for my purposes and that poor quality instruction is pervasive in the org, but I'm not so sure I'd have seen that when I first wanted to train. In an art whose training is such a massive abstraction from actual violence and whose exponents continually pride themselves on its complexity and esoteric nature; I think it's a little unfair to expect an unseasoned student to separate what's unofficial nonsense, official nonsense, abstracted foundational practice, functional practice etc etc etc especially when a significant amount of its legit instructors can't understand, implement or teach the art they are officially graded in.