ninjutsu and kendo?

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by furinkazan, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Big Will

Big Will Ninpô Ikkan

Furinkazan,

If you are interested in the sword techniques of the nine ryū I suggest you first find a teacher that can show you where to begin learning. Of course there is the possibility to go to other styles and ryū, as you already suggested doing, but if you have already invested a certain amount of time and effort in the Bujinkan then I think it is worth your while to put in the extra effort to find what is already there in front of you.

There is a lot of specific kenjutsu and iaijutsu in the nine ryū, and the difference when compared to above mentioned iaidō and kendō is that it is actually based on the same way of moving and body structure as what you have (hopefully) learned so far in your time in the Bujinkan. Of course you need someone to show you this, and there are plenty of instructors in the UK that I could recommend.

2. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

I've been part of the Bujinkan about six years total, reaching first dan.

I'm currently in an odd place with dojos as my own sensei has stopped teaching indefinitely due to illness. I looked at other places and was either unimpressed, or found classes were on at times and places I couldn't make due to my current schedule (freelance work and part time postgraduate degree). I've spent the last period of time either going over my notes on the Bujinkan or trying other styles out to see what can help me either develop my skills or gain new perspective.

I've got a few places in mind, since Manchester is looking a distinct possibility of a living arrangement in the next 12-18 months, but then with a career like animation it's entirely like I could end up globe trotting for some time from job to job, and I'm putting money aside so that once I'm out of this course the first thing 'Im doing is going over to japan to train, at least for a month.

Do you mind PM'ing me some dojos and names?

3. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

I have a dojo near Huddersfield

4. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

That puts you at about 2 hours 30 minutes travel time from me on google maps (since I can't drive just yet).

5. Pankeeki

Pankeeki Valued Member

Seek out training under Kacem Zoughari or one of his senior students in the UK.
    I believe there is one in Manchester.
    No need to train in other Koryu or Kendo, It is totally different in a lot of ways so it will only get you further away from the nine ryuha. There is a large curriculum of swordwork in the BJK that is very rarely taught.
    We have sword and iai in all the nine ryuha, each ryuha having its own series of kata and perticulars.

If you go to Japan train with him and Ishizuka sensei if you have the chance.
    They are both excellent with the sword. If you approach Kacem in te honbu dojo and you are polite he will probably let you come to one of his lessons in the Ishizuka dojo.

6. warren33

warren33 Valued Member

This is so, so true :)

7. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

I found a dojo in manchester recently, Circle Martial Arts. It's the nearest dojo I can actually make the time due to being limited to public transport and not being in the city. Hopefully once my Prozac side effects stop in the next few weeks and Im not on an anxiety overload I can actually make it there to continue training

8. warren33

warren33 Valued Member

My recommendation (which I strongly suspect is the same as BigWill and Pankeei's) is just outside Manchester in Stockport.

An honest practitioner who I wouldn't hesitate to direct you to, even if you have to travel a little way it would be worth it. And if you devote time, money and energy to training it's vital to choose a good instructor isn't it, even if it's not the most convenient.

The dojo isn't advertised widely so if Stockport is within range please PM us for contact email.

The classes at Circle Martial Arts are taught by Mr Castan I believe, I don't know him so have no judgement or opinion - only what I read online.... search threads

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  9. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

I believe it's David Castan if Im correct. Not hearing too much stuff about him, but Alfredo's pulled up some stuff.

I might go check it out

10. warren33

warren33 Valued Member

Cool, if you do then please let us know how you get on.

Good luck and I hope you find the training you're looking for wherever that may be.

Take care,
    W