Ninjukai Taijitsu - An Insiders Perspective

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by nostromogremlin, Apr 10, 2009.

1. *27*

*27* Valued Member

I've never heard this, but just because an instructor comes from Korea does not necessarily mean the art comes from Korea. I'm not really interested in the history, but on the website it says the art originated in Japan.

Personally I have no interest in the traditions of the art so I couldn't care less if it had a Japanese style grade system or not. My reasons for studying it are not because of any history or tradition the art has, but because from what I have experienced I feel it is the most effective one in Perth for me.

But yeah, it's not the art's effectiveness that seems to be on trial here. It is it's history. If you don't see me answering anymore questions about it, it's because I never really found the need to inquire into the topic.

We obviously need more evidence before we can draw any conclusions here as to who to believe and such, if the history of the art is something you're interested in.

2. *27*

*27* Valued Member

I'm not John Ang.

3. *27*

*27* Valued Member

4. Nutjob

Nutjob Jimmy Tarbuck

you sound like a desparate scorned woman.....

5. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

You're getting horny aren't you Nutjob?

:D

6. Nutjob

Nutjob Jimmy Tarbuck

no mate, he/she is like a bunny boiler...

7. Dean Winchester

Fair enough to be honest I couldn’t do that I’d have to find somewhere else to train, I couldn’t train under someone who was lying about what he was delivering just to get bodies through the door and face it apart from ego inflation that’s the only reason most people do that sort of thing.

Can I ask what you are basing this assessment on?

To be honest I could make up a BS system and fool Joe public that they were getting something of value however I wouldn’t pass any from of scrutiny from someone who knows what they are looking at.

To be honest if it were marketing I don’t think it would be raising so many eyebrows. I think the problem comes from the fact that many see it as being complete nonsense rather than just clever marketing.

Structure relates to function. The art is based around “this” because of “that” and I would wonder how a traditional not to mention very old art (if it’s all true) manages to meet the self defence requirements of today’s world without certain alteration.

Does Ninjukai differentiate between “old school” and “modern self defence”?
    If not what is the reasoning behind it?

You put value on the fact that others you train with are of quality, top blokes as you say, yet in the next breath say that you don’t care about the head of you school, the man running the show and calling the shots.

I find that very odd and somewhat contradictory but then, sorry to be harsh now, you do come off as someone who is purely concerned with getting what he wants regardless of any implication arising from it, just the impression I get from your posts that’s all.

This is the problem many find when they discover the art they are practicing isn’t what it claims to be, I’m not saying that is the case just what I’ve seen from personal experience. People have invested so much in their training be physically, intellectually, emotionally or financially that they are reluctant to just walk away and throw away all that time and effort, it’s easier to keep their head in the sand.

Yes convenient that yet funnily enough it seems to share all the “perceived” (as in what Joe public thinks it involves rather than the real thing) trappings of Ninjutsu, to be honest in my opinion it associates itself, looking at the site, with the perceived trappings of an 80’s Ninja flick.

It just always makes my spidey sense tingle when people try to shut others up with legal action a rather than just go no your wrong because of x,y,z here’s the proof.

Oh and there’s a big difference between saying “I’ll set my lawyer on you” and actually setting your lawyer on them. A lot of people just count on the fact that the threat alone will shut up the critic.

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  8. Arashima

Arashima Banned Banned

I heard he handed the school over to a son he didn't know he had by a previous student, a Ms. Kerr.

I believe the new grandmaster's name is Walter Ang-Kerr.

;)

9. Ladder

Ladder New Member

Thanks for putting in your 2cent 27.

I too dont care about the linage of an art, but instead what you get from it. In the last 3 years i have spent considerable time in the MMA scene, and unfortunately my skills from ninjukai were worth nothing.

I think that the fact that the Shihan lies and deceives his student is a big issue. He miss understands the the spirituality he teaches, and uses the Tao as an excuses to act in an unmoral way. I have seen a lot of things that show that man's dark side.

Thats not to say you cant learn anything at the dojo. Tim and Yari are quite capable fighter (as far as TMA goes), though you might be interested to find where they learned those skills.

The throws and locks are very poor i would recommend trying out a judo club to compare. The way the sparring is taught is in an nonconstructive way.

The facilities are quite good there, especially the gym. My advive to you would be use the dojo to train but look else where for your education.

10. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

Really? Oh dear.

[​IMG]

11. *27*

*27* Valued Member

(a) Really? I would have thought MMA and Ninjukai to be very similar? Can you elaborate?

(b) I don't know who they are but where did they learn their skills?

(c) I went along to a judo club once but I stopped because I kept using horse stance throws and finishing them off at the end. I'd do it as second nature, and then realise what I had done after. I had to keep thinking 'don't finish them off'. Haha.

(d) Can you go into more detail?

My main interest in martial arts is having a good solid defence against the prostpect of multiple attackers. Would you reccommend MMA over Ninjukai even for this?

12. Dean Winchester

Not many arts will give you good odds against multiple attackers (engaging and going toe to toe I mean), best bet don't be there and if you are there get out asap.

To be honest if that's what you're after go look for some solid RBSD training and learn colour code awareness, verbal techniques, posturing, fear control etc.

That backed up with a good basic skill set in stand up, clinch and what to do if it hits the deck will be better than spending years learning a TMA or purely sport based system.

Oddly enough I’d say a grounding in basic MMA skills along with a good RBSD “philosophy”/approach would be a good start.

Self defence/protection is different to “fighting”

13. *27*

*27* Valued Member

Thanks for sharing this. I would like to hear about these fights, were they like boxing matches with the other police officers, or something else?

What Ninjukai techniques did you find handy in these situations? And did you use techniques from Bujinkan, or any other art, during these fights?

What would you say is the fundamental differences in style between Ninjukai and Bujinkan?

And finally, what martial art would you reccommend to me for effectiveness against multiple attackers?

Sorry for all of the complicated questions, I just feel I can benefit from your experience.

Cheers.

14. *27*

*27* Valued Member

My guess is that you're right there. With defence, I envision a scenario where I am with my friends and we are being attacked by a greater number of people. So fleeing is not an option, because I would have to make sure my friends are okay. I would guess that going for a quick knockout against my attackers is preferable, because seconds I save on one attacker means less time other attackers have of getting me.

Whereas in fighting one-on-one you have all the time you like to suss out your opponent and employ a strategy of some sort, slowly breaking them down.

However, both fighting and self defence would value the ability to knock someone out at will.

What are your views on Krav Maga?

15. Dean Winchester

Good stuff, the bit I've done.

Simple enough for the most part so that you don't lose the plot when things kick off. A lot of the stuff was repeated a fair bit which IMO is good, you didn't just skip through the syllabus. I liked the “mind set” behind bursting.

Different approach to something like the Bujinkan which is a bit more "free" in it's teaching methods.

Same as a lot of things though I think there’s bad instruction out there, it’s all about finding the right teacher.

16. garth

garth Valued Member

Posted by nostromogremlin

What were you doing as a police officer having fights?

Surely you should be arresting people that fight. Not fighting yourself.

Garth

17. *27*

*27* Valued Member

Nah dude I've seen it on the Bill. Cops have fight comps b/w each other as a good way of training. Or he could have been fighting at those fight nights which are a perfectly legal spectator sport. Or maybe he just meant fighting crime. Either way, I don't have a problem with it. It sounds normal to me.

How is he going to arrest people that fight if he can't fight himself?

18. garth

garth Valued Member

Fighting and restraining people for arrest are two different things.

19. Dean Winchester

Arresting and restraint techniques differ to out and out "fighting".

There's a reason Police use numbers and things like "mace" to subdue an opponent. Courts tend to frown on a suspect being taken into custody unconscious.

20. Dean Winchester

ah GARTH beat me to it