Ninja Virtues / Principles

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Kalifallen, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Kalifallen

Kalifallen looking for partner

After having a long discussion about the samurai and bushido. I started wondering what are the ninja virtues / principles? I looked in much of the Hatsumi books that I own and I couldn't find any. I did find information on what skills to learn and what are the tools of the ninja. I even found some brief parts about kuji and meditation, but nothing about ninja virtues / principles.

I know the ninja had to of had them but does anyone know what exactly they might be?
    Loyality
    Honor
    Kyojitsu - manipulating perceptions of truth

What else?

Does any Shihan know?

2. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

Shinryu Masamitsu Toda

32nd Grandmaster of Togakure Ryu Ninjutsu
    New Years message of 1891

Know the wisdom of being patient during times of inactivity.

Choose the course of justice as the path of your life.

Do not allow your heart to be controlled by the demands of desire, pleasure, or dependence.

Sorrow, pain, and resentment are natural qualities to be found in life; therefore, work to cultivate an immovable spirit.

Hold in your heart the importance of respect for your seniors, and pursue the literary and martial arts with balanced determination.

3. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

Is manipulation a virtue? :confused:

4. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

Yes, if you use baby oil!!! ;)

5. Victoria

Why am I shocked? :D

6. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

Really? Oooh! ;)

7. garth

garth Valued Member

Posted By Kalifallen

Essence of Ninjutsu has the 10 rules of the Ninja. Tanemuras book "Ninpo Secrets has a huge amount about martial arts and Ninja virtues. In To-Shin Do we have the 14 point mindful action code which are covered in the book "How to own the world", which although may not be specifically "Ninja Virtues" are based on Warrior and Buddhist principles.

I think its worth pointing out that because some of the Ninja schools were influenced by buddhism, some of the Ninja virues were very similar.

However at the same time some of the Ninja principles and vrues may not fit in too well in todays world. I remember Mr Tanemura talking about in the training of youths, the training was very harsh, and if they did not train they would get beaten.

Try that on your kids, or your kids class today, and social services and the police might get involved.

Gary Arthur

8. saru1968

saru1968 New Member

which is?

9. garth

garth Valued Member

10. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

Hmm! A 14 point ninja code when the system described by Garth is not even truly ninja.

Reading through that 14 point thing, it sounds more like a contract than a code of being moral. All the "I will.." ETC to me seems to be an enforcement upon self will. But that is my view.

11. Victoria

12. Victoria

He did say it wasn't ninja. I haven't seen much in the way of 'ninja code' to compare though :D

Most lists like that seem very "I will". Or the one that irritates me slightly, "you will". "you must" "we must" "this is how life should be lived" attitudes. A list of do's and don't's. But that's a list of princples for you :cool:

13. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

But is not placing "I will..." in front of everything make it an enforcement upon will? If it did not have that, then it will read more in the virtue of the person having to live up to that standard instead of it sounding like it is forced.

but as I say, it is my view on that.

14. garth

garth Valued Member

Immolation posted

What is?

These 14 point codes are there to help us ti improve ourselves, NOT to recited if one wants to become a member of Quest.

Therefore if one is reciting these things to one self as a kind of meditation, words like "I might" really have no changing effect. To overcome something one must be committed.

"I will quit smoking" might work, if one says it enough with meaning.
    "I might quit smoking" will probably never work.

the other thing one should consider is that these 14 point codes are great for kids, especially when you tell them that these are warrior ideals, and the parents love it.

Gary Arthur.

15. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

Sounds like a promise built upon a lie does that.

16. Victoria

I was ok as far as there. There's something not right with that paragraph...can't quite put my finger on it...

I agree. It does sound forced with "I will" infront. Personally I prefer thoughtful guidelines. The "I will" I'd rather use for what I actually believe fully

17. xen

xen insanity by design

re; the 'i will' line...

don't make more of it than is needed, correct me if i'm wrong garth, but aren't those statements just affirmations?

an affirmation is much like a Buddhist mantra, where you follow the principle that what you truely believe can infuence your physical presence.

would it be controlling for someone to say to themselves, 'I will do my best to succeed at <insert individual life challenge here> ' as a way of boosting ones confidence?

No. Its is just a way of putting ourselves in a appropriate frame of mind to succeed at a task.

In a similar manner, the 14 points would be pretty ineffective if they were worded any other way. The intent is to engage ones will, so it makes sense to invoke it.

Also, if a person feels threatened by the sentiments expressed within those 14 points, then perhaps they need to have a quick look inside themselves. If everybody lived according to those principles, living in this world would be a much more pleasant experience.

18. saru1968

saru1968 New Member

'Blue Belt - Ju-ik-kyu 11th Class
    I thoughtfully express the truth,
    I avoid the confusion of dishonest words.'

Well looks like you fail the Blue belt then Garth...

Just reading you prior posts proves that, I'll be back soon.

Got to see a man about a dog....

:)

19. garth

garth Valued Member

Saru 1968 Posted

So I guess you are calling me a liar.

But then based on what you say I guess I also fail the red belt

Xen Posted

Thats it.

Victoria posted
    Don't quite know what you mean by that, but isn't it great when a parent comes and tells you how they have seen a real change in little Johnny, that he is now so helpful and polite.

Gary Arthur

20. Victoria

So what the parents actually like, are the results...?