Ninja tattoo suggestions !

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Kikaku, May 22, 2006.

1. Kikaku

Kikaku Gakorai Tosha Akuma Fudo

Just got a call from my girlfriend. It seems that her old University mate, now owns a tattoo shop. Apparently, her brother (main artist) has tattooed, a variety of different rock stars including Flea, the bassist from the Red hot chilli peppers. She's offered to have her brother do a tattoo on me for FREE ! :eek:

I've got 6 already, including a dodgy red tribal "S" on my left calf. Now I'm looking to cover it up, with something black, and Ninjutsu related. I've been toying with the idea of having a Shinobi climbing up my calf. I've also been toying with the idea of a large Kanji, which looks like it's been painted on, rather than a solid shape. Kanji meaning wise, I've been thinking about either "Gambatte" or "Kikaku".

Any suggestions ? :)

2. Nick Mandilas

Nick Mandilas Resistance is an option..

LOL!
    A red, white & black striped shuriken target!
    :eek: :eek:

3. Kikaku

:D

4. xen

xen insanity by design

honest opinion?

i wouldn't.

i'm not against tattoo's, quite the opposite, but there is something about having stuff related to the art tattooed that can seem almost 'cult' like.

i've seen some really good ones and some really bad ones.

don't take this the wrong way, but you've only been in the art a very short time and i am sure you are fully commited the training, but you don't know how you'll feel about it in 10 years time.

if you have a shinobi climbing up your leg for example, that could look cool, or it could come out looking very 'hollywood'.

if you go for kanji, then what you feel best represents your inner-self now you could look back on and think, 'i wish i'd chosen...'

the main consideration, as you already know if you've had work done, is that prime real estate for tattoo's is a precious commodity, sure, you can get a cover-up, but any cover is heavilly constrained by whats underneath.

what makes me say all this is that you are asking on here for advice about what to wear on your body for the rest of your life...

that in itself should make you think really hard about whether or not this is the sort of tattoo you REALLY want.

BUT.

if you do go find a good idea, all power to you...

make sure you post a pic when you've had it done :)

5. Kikaku

I totally understand and agree with where you're coming from.
    It's a hard one to call :D

6. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

I have Banpen Fugyo in kanji, in my own handwriting, tattooed under my arm, on my rib cage. I've only had it for a few months but I'm glad I got it. It reminds me all the time to keep my cool. Plus, even if I decide to hate ninpo later on in my life, it wouldnt matter, as its a good saying, plus it represents a part of my life.

Thats why I dont understand when people say "I wish i would have...." (no offense xen), I think thats stupid. It represents a time in your life where you thought having a ninja crawling up your calf was cool. Later you will take up something like dancing and become a pansy-boy, but when you look at your calf it'll remind you back when you used to be hardcore. You only live once, dont worry about it so much.

7. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

Do the cover up and use the nin symbol. Or get a barcode done.

8. benkyoka

benkyoka one million times

Choosing to get a tattoo done simply because it's an offer you can't refuse is probably not the best idea.

If there was something you really, really wanted, cost wouldn't matter. (kinda like Budo)

9. xen

xen insanity by design

none taken :)

i used to work in my mates tattoo shop years ago, so i've sort of been conditioned to give people advice that makes them think really hard about what they want.

10. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Food is the source of life. So that means that a can of Campbells soup is the only real alternative for your calf tattoo.

On second thought - women don't get pregnant by a can of Campbell's soup.. so something else is really the source of life... so what you want tattooed on your calf is... oh.... nevermind. :p

11. althaur

althaur Hunting scum

Go with a pciture of Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd dueling with Katana!!!

Or Snoopy throwing shuriken at Woodstock!

Or, oh nevermind. :)

12. Iron Fist

Iron Fist New Member

How big is the tattoo you have to cover? If you really hate the original then i would definitly cover it, otherwise it's like having a bad hair cut all the time. What i did for the tattoo's i have is to at least think about a certain design for like 2 months if after that time you still think its a good idea then go for it. But seeing as you have 6 already you know that i suppose its down to personality what you like?

Like steve-o from Jackass he would only get a tattoo that made people laugh - like he had the words "your name" on his ass.

13. cj256

cj256 Valued Member

i have the nin symbol on my left shoulder i had this done as the translation of this character can mean endurance and perserverence which has personal meaning for me and as stated in previous posts, represents a chapter of my life i feel is important to me that i will never forget !!!

choose wisely!!

cj

14. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

I had a tattoo of a ninja, but I can't find it now. :D

15. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Ninja tattoo's are invisible aren't they? :)

16. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

I have a life size tatoo over my whole body, but just slightly bigger than me.

17. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Another Steven Wright fan.

18. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

There's a term for roundeyes who get tattoos of Kanji...I'm not sure I can say it on MAP though.

19. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

YEP! :D That comedian is too good for this planet.

20. Bujinkan83

Bujinkan83 Valued Member

hello all, i would love to have a tatoo, but i'm fraked out by needles and not really a big fan of pain, although i have been on the receiving end of a couple of shutos and what not from my instructor lol (OUCH!!!)