Ninja strike again!

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Brad Ellin, Sep 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

This is what gives our art a bad name, as if we needed any help.

2. garth

garth Valued Member

I agree but we have to remember that there are two elements to this.

Firstly the suspects, Secondly the press.

Garth

3. Dale Seago

Dale Seago Matthew 7:6

They were wearing white gloves, it seems, which is a dead giveaway as it identifies their school as the Mikimausu-ryu.

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Why would the press be to blame?

The title of the article did make a point of putting ninja in quotes and even quoted the police chief as saying:

It's not as if they somehow started making up elements to make the connection. They were reporting a story that actually happened and the reference to ninjas was one that the vast majority of people would make if they ran across people clad head to toe in black and brandishing swords and daggers.

I'm not really getting how the press did anything wrong here. :rolleyes:

5. Big Will

Big Will NinpƓ Ikkan

LMAO! :D

The police saying "well... yeah... they were ninjas" is priceless :D

6. slipthejab

wow.
    You must be reading a different article entirely... because that's not what was said. :eek:

7. elftengu

elftengu Banned Banned

The police love to say that they have managed to catch one of us denizens of the night, just as you would love to say you have beaten one in a fight. :p

8. slipthejab

seriously... guys... they're not claiming they caught ninjas. Thus the quotes on the word ninja in the title. Even in the article they don't say they caught ninjas. Wow... project insecurities much?

9. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

:rolleyes: Off course not. Come on Slip even you should know only a Ninja can catch a Ninja...er hold on that's not right... :confused:

:D

10. Lord Spooky

11. fire&steel

fire&steel Valued Member

well they looked like ninja !

Funny isn't it how if someone is dressed in black they by default "ninja"
    if they are carrying and edged weapon it is always a Samurai sword or a dagger.

A guy who trained in one of the dojo's here for about 6 months, a few years ago.His home was invaded and he was attacked by 5 people armed with sticks and iron bars and beaten badly, managed to escape and grabed an old silat sword he owned and killed one guy and injured a couple of others badly.
    The news headlines the next day were something to the effect of.

Martial arts expert kills intruders with Samurai sword in drug turf war !

Although the intruders were looking for drugs it was proven by the police that this guy was not involved in any drug or illegal activity what so ever. He had trained in Martial arts for only 6 months, lost an ear to a hit by the edge of a 2x4 before escaping and fought them off with Silat sword.
    The media never let facts get in the way of a good headline.

12. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

This is hilarious. I don't think the police thought they caught "real ninjas" (aka Ninjutsu practitioners) because like most people they probably don't even know that people still claim to train to be ninjas.

Hell if some people robbed a store wearing bandannas, triangle hats, and eye patches while wielding buccaneer swords, would you blame people for saying that "3 male 'pirates' robbed local bank"? Would you think that the press and people reading the paper actually believed that they were REAL pirates that intended to set sail with their booty to go pillage elsewhere?

13. Ahmad89

Ahmad89 Agent of Chaos

Or this: http://wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_249160229.html

14. slipthejab

Not really. It's a common perception. That's who the paper is being written for... not a select group of true ninjas (whatever that means) that get their shirts up because the police refer to catching someone that looks like or was dressed like a ninja.

Riiiight. The media is to blame. Maybe you ninjas should get it together and get a PR campaign going to change this oh-so-unfair assimilation of the ninja-look/perception of ninja fashion into the public consciousness. :D

15. Lord Spooky

I feel that instances of Ninjism is on the increase and that world governments should take steps to educate people and make them understand that Ninjers are people to.

The US might have some trouble here because as we all know, Americans are unable to do so because, um, some people out there in their nation don't have maps and, uh, I believe that their, uh, education like such as, uh, South Africa and, uh, the Iraq and everywhere like such as, and I believe that they should, uh...........

Ah that got away from me.

:D

hmm maybe Miss South Carolina is a Ninja

16. fire&steel

fire&steel Valued Member

Well first off no one I knows claims to be training be become a ninja. We do how ever train in Jujutsu/ninjutsu based arts.
    Of course no one thinks they caught real ninja or anyone who trains !
    It just annoying that the media like to label things in such a manner.
    Were they really dressed like ninja ? or were they simply dressed in black with motorcycle balaclavas . Do they call a guy with a stocking on his head a Xdressing gay bandit ? why are most dog attacks pitbulls ? etc etc

No you can't blame them, buteven if they said, 3 guys dressed LIKE pirates robbed me.

The Media would say man robbed by 3 PIRATES who held him at black powder pistol point while assulting him with a cutlass with the parrot acting as look out.

17. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

I think the first step to ninja reformation is to.....stop dressing like ninjas :rolleyes: :p

18. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

I dont know too many people with real shinobi shozoku... but then again most people think that tabi and sword = ninja... I dont wear tabi either though.

19. garth

garth Valued Member

Slip the Jab posted

The press are to blame because they like using stereotypes and generalisations to sell a newspaper it is as simple as that.

The people that did the robbery were probably not ninja, had never attended a ninjutsu class or ever heard of Hatsumi and they probably thought Mushadori was a dish at a Chinese restaurant.

Do you realise if the Ninja were a race, or culture they would never be able to get away with this kind of bad reporting.

Garth

20. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

Please tell me the above is a joke.

You can't possibly think that way..........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.