Ninijitsu?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Casado, Jun 15, 2003.

1. Casado

Casado Valued Member

Ninjitsu! Wasn't it an art to assassinate? What do people learn in modern day Ninjitsu? Can anyone tell me more about the style and techniques (and anything else) about it. I can find a lot of information stating that it covers all ranges and has weapons, but what does it look like (linear etc.).

Thanks,
    Casado

2. JessyBlue

JessyBlue New Member

As I know, the traditional Ninjutsu was the art of spying.
    The Ninjas were scouts and mercenaries.
    I don´t know what they do today, but I´ve heared that the true (traditional) style is only teached by one man (for the name I´d have to look up).

3. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Hatsumi is the most recognised teacher of it

It is more a way of life - now I choose my words on this carefully as its not mean to be all spiritual.

They were mercs, spies and also from my views more aimed at just getting by!

SONSHU

4. Darkflight

Darkflight New Member

If I may quote the standard response given on many websites:

Ninjutsu began more than 800 years ago among the ninja people living in Japan. The warrior class which ruled Japan at the
    time were called the Samurai. They controlled the land and it's people. Their lord, the Shogun, was the only person the Samurai
    was answerable to.

The ordinary peasant served the warriors every whim. A peasant could never strike a Samurai. If he did, it would mean his life.

The ninja would not serve the Samurai, and fled to the barren, cold, mountainous regions of Iga and Koga. There they trained
    in the arts of war. It is said that their art is based upon a great Chinese military text written by a general named Sun Tzu, The
    Art of War.

Over the centuries the ninja (word meaning 'stealers-in') trained from the cradle to the grave in every known martial art. Their
    forte was espionage and assassination, by any means possible. But their training also taught them to reach spiritual heights, by
    pushing their bodies and minds to limits far beyond that of normal human endurance.

Training for a ninja began almost as soon as he could walk. Childhood games were designed to inculcate expertise in unarmed
    combat, swordwork, weaponry, camouflage, escape and evasion. In time, the ninja warriors came to be feared throughout
    Japan. Even the mighty Samaurai looked over his shoulder if a ninja was known to be in the area.

Over the centuries, while ninjutsu was being practiced in secrecy, no one knew anything about the art except the ninjas
    themselves. When Japan emerged into the modern era, and feudalism collapsed, the ninja were absorbed into Japan's secret
    service and special services groups.

The martial arts boom of the 1970's saw two men searching for something different. Doron Navon and Stephen Hayes found a
    ninjutsu headmaster living in Japan who came from an unbroken line of ninja instructors dating back almost 800 years. The art
    was then brought to the western World.

When speaking of Ninja, the image of a black clad assassin disappearing in a cloud of smoke is what comes to mind. This
    distortion has nothing to do with the reality of studying Ninjutsu, or "Ninpo" in its highest order. Ninpo is a traditional Japanese
    bujutsu martial art with a rich and viable history that stretches back over ten centuries. Developed as a highly illegal
    counterculture to the ruling samurai warrior class, Ninpo still flourishes today under the direct guidance of Dr. Masaaki
    Hatsumi,34th grandmaster of the Togakure Ryu Ninjutsu tradition and eight other budo traditions. Dr. Hatsumi is the last
    variable true Ninja grandmaster having a direct line of decent from feudal Japan. The instructors at the BBD Newark Ninjutsu
    Club are directly affiliated with Hatsumi Sensei and his international Bujinkan Dojo.

Ninpo is a more global title for the nine ryu (families) related. Po is Japanese for 'principle way'.

5. Sonshu

Thanks mate

I was going for the quick answer.

SONSHU

6. Darkflight

Darkflight New Member

Sorry mate, just whenever I say I practise Ninjutsu the first thing I get is 'does that mean you can do that assassin ****?'.

7. Casado

Casado Valued Member

Thanks! I didn't think for a moment that Ninjas were psycopathic killers. It's just that I don't have much of an idea of what Ninjitsu does teach. If you teach all weapons and ranges, is it similar to Hapkido? Which other arts does it most resemble? Do you spar?

8. Sonshu

No I am ex Taijitsu myself

Its easier to say less as often people get the wrong idea. Its a good style and I loved it.

Just needed to go off and look at other things as well.

SONSHU

9. Sean O

Sean O New Member

Actually, I've heard from many sources (one of which being a ninjitsu instructor) that ninja actually means nin=balance or harmony/ja= one who practises.

10. Darkflight

Darkflight New Member

I've heard both explanations. I shall ask my Shidoski tomorrow :)

11. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

nin means "to endure or persevere" or "to conceal". The conceal defintion is where one gets "stealers in". But it can and has meant "one who endures". As Hatsumi explained once, many years ago, the kanji nin is made up of two seperate kanji. Kokoro, the bottom half meaning heart and the top one jin, which translates into blade (edge of). Combined (rough translation) "although my enemy holds a knife over my heart, I will endure (persevere), I will win" Back in the day, Hatsumi said Ninjutsu was the "Art of winning" (How many oldtimers remember that?).
    Funny thing though. The definition of ninja is constantly changing as one's understanding of ninjutsu and taijutsu grows and developes. Very few practioners today will still go by the old definition, matter of fact most would laugh at it. Nin tchanges in definition as the art grows, as Soke's knowledge and understanding of it grows. I imagine he has changed his own definition of what it means quie a few times since he took over as Grandmaster. I know my idea and definition has changed, and he has been at it a lot longer than I.