Nihontodo: Combative Kenjutsu

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by awakentheronin, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Poetic, concise and true to boot.

I salute you sir.:hat:

2. fifthchamber

fifthchamber Valued Member

LOL...And here I was trying to be polite until they came out and said they just made it all up from watching bad Kung Fu movies and some Kendo fights on Youtube...Dammit...

I'm getting soft...Need training...

All the best bruv...

3. Kogusoku

Yer gettin' nice in yer old age.

Hope all is well with you.

4. spchanbara

spchanbara New Member

Hi, I am from the Singapore Polytechnic Kenjutsu Club, where our FB page link was posted.
    I'm a practitioner of Nihontodo for quite a while. Previously, our club was called Singapore Polytechnic Chanbara Club.
    I heard there is also a RP Nihontodo Club at Republic Polytechnic.

I thank everyone here for their inputs.

If Master Dav was indeed misleading us and teaching us fake stuff, I think that is very serious, because a lot of people believed that we are learning Japanese Samurai Kenjutsu from him.

However, I hope that people here will substantiate what they say with evidence or some kind of proof.
    Just by saying "oh he's fake", isn't very helpful.

Thank you.

5. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Valued Member

You know what, I was going to tell you to go to the thread on Kendo World, but you've just posted the same thing there, so....

(Originally posted on KW by rfoxmitch)
    This is a short list, there's a lot more that screams to us that there is nothing resembling actual kenjutsu whatsoever, let alone "Combat Kenjutsu".

6. fifthchamber

fifthchamber Valued Member

Sadly, "proof" doesn't work that way round...The onus is (And always SHOULD have been) on "Master Dav" to provide backup for what he claims to be teaching..You want him to be proven right? Ask him for his teachers and documents that show his level of training in the arts mentioned...Simple..(And since it's all YOUR side, rather easy to do I'd guess?)
    If you doubt what I say, then prove that I'm NOT a Menkyo Kaiden in Shikko Ryu please? (And I'll guess you'll see what I mean....)..
    He HAS to back HIS claims up...We couldn't give you that proof..He can, go ask him.

All the best.

7. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Hi spchanbara,

Welcome to the forum.

Agreed. No matter what people do, that is fine with me - as long as they are honest about what it is and what it is not. As soon as misrepresentation occurs, I tend to stick my nose in.

What training with Mr Dav is:

Fun, aerobic activity that may offer some challenge, friendly competition, exercise - and all round chanbara goodness. It gives the casual user a chance to train in a sword art or get padded up and do some pseudo-kendo.

What training with Mr Dav is not:

"Our signature modular sword system teaches the essential fundamentals of swordsmanship"

I'm afraid it does not. All-round understanding would require (in my opinion) a solid understanding of iai (for the handling and drawing of a real sword), kenjutsu (to learn distancing, timing and training against someone who is attacking you), tameshigiri (for increasing your depth of understanding about cutting, hasuji etc) and kendo (for an opportunity to openly free-spar) - BUT all from a well-studied person.

This is where Nihontodo falls down.

Much of Mr Dav's technique is at best, limited. That is as polite as I can put it. If you have no other options to learn a sword art, then you just may be stuck with him. However, if you can compare his swordsmanship with that of many others who have videos who are known and respected (a lot of senior teachers are willingly or unknowingly showcased on Youtube - just ask on here for good examples of JSA videos) - you will note a massive difference in technique, ability, timing etc. These all equate to his depth of study - or lack of it.

You will find that other schools that offer formal tuition in established styles will have people who are above Mr Dav's level after a very short period of time.

Next steps:

If a person is fine with training with Mr Dav and understands what he is doing (or trusts him enough to let all of the above go), then I say 'carry on, have fun'.

HOWEVER

If a person is remotely concerned that any of the above is true, then I would suggest they ask Mr Dav a series of questions:

1) Where does the art you are teaching us come from?

2) How long have you studied it?

3) Who taught you?

4) Was Mr X in Q3 above qualified to teach you?

5) Do you still study with Mr X in Q3 above?

6) If not, how are you continuing to develop without someone pushing you?​

Now, if one of my students were to ask any of the above, I may (being human and for the briefest of moments) be mildly offended - but all of these questions are very important, and for a student to ask tells me he/she is serious and wants to learn from someone who can teach, has the skills to do so - and the authority.

In short, ANY teacher of worth should have no problems with these questions.

There are a number of people on martial arts forums who you can PM the answers to - and they will be jolly honest with you if you are still unsure. Just don't be fobbed off with vague and ambiguous answers. Any that revolve around 'being sworn to secrecy', 'an old dead master' or 'oh, it is a small family style, not even known in Japan' are quite often male bovine excement. We've heard them all before.

Whether a sword art claims 'koryu' or 'genbudo', it still needs the same things:

Lineage:

With an established lineage of koryu (or genbudo based on established koryu), you are learning something that has survived the ages, probably seen battle and probably used to kill. Therefore it works. Sure, I am generalising, but in a nutshell, my description fits.

Without this established history, a sword art is just swinging a sword about with only a rough idea of what it is to use a sword.

Skill of the teacher:

A teacher needs to have the authority to teach. No teacher of merit would allow his student to teach unless he was happy for this student to represent him, his art and his reputation. Without this authority, you are looking at someone who isn't good enough or for some other reason cannot present their teachers' art in the correct manner.

In 'corporate budo', the above is not applicable as 'head teachers' want their understudies to get out there and teach ASAP to get the school growing - so be careful of this one.

Lots of other things are needed, buty I have limited time today so I will leave it to others to expand on this post.

Summary:

Both time and money are valuable. Don't waste them on something that is not you think it is. Choose your art wisely, and don't forget to Google for Dana Abbott. I need say no more.

8. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

see above.

Sense spoken sensibly.

The Bear.

9. Kogusoku

I seem to recall Dana Abbot's name being mentioned in the KW thread too.
    Was I mistaken?

10. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

Nihontodo is Samurai Sports Singapore, Dana Abbot is Samurai Sports.

11. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

WTF is all this chanbarra rubbish anyway. Looks like boffer play to me.

The Bear.

12. Kogusoku

Call me silly, but they sound very much connected...

Do some digging and...... http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36962

I knew I had heard that name before!