Nihon Taijutsu

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Zabrus, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

This is about the martial art I study. I put it under the Jujutsu forum, as it is basically an Europeanized version of traditional jujutsu, centered on self defence. Minoru Mochizuk took it to France in the 50s, and it was developed with his students. Basically, the techniques are the same old techniques, what changes is the method of teaching them is a bit more modern (the addition, for example, of some new very basic techniques that have been created so the westerner student can more easily learn).

The techniques (save for the new 24 very basic ones) are near to Daito Ryu JuJutsu. On my particular dojo, we do some Yoshin Ryu Jujutsu and Asayama Ichiden Ryu Taijutsu too.

To summarise: japanese origin and philosophy, but westerner conception.

A demonstration video from recent open door activity:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK2Jhwf9v94&feature=plcp"]TAIJITSU DEMOSTRACIÓN. - YouTube[/ame]

I see that wikipedia has only got the article on my martial art in Spanish, French and Catalan. Beginning of December I should have some time, I think I'll translate it into english. Spanish article: http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihon_Tai-Jitsu

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Where did your training in 'Yoshin ryu and AI Ryu come from, Do your teachers hold teaching rank in these? Are you still apart of the Yoseikan?

3. rne02

rne02 Valued Member

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

4. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

Monday I'll ask about the Yoseikan, not sure about that. My school is part of the Seibukan, for sure. That's where our jujutsu comes from.

About teaching rank, yes, my sensei is very legacy oriented.

This year he and the sensei of a fellow dojo got the scrolls (the traditional ones, those that are almost 2 meters long) allowing them to teach Asayama.

Kaminaga Shikemi is the 17th soke. His student Kai Kuniyuki has a concession from the Menkyo Kaiden to expand the school amongst his students. So he granted it to my school.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  5. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Valued Member

Which Yoshin Ryu Jujutsu?

EDIT: Oh, and the title of a head of a line (family) is soke (soh-kay), not "soak", and not pronounced the same. I'm not sure what you mean when you say "Kai Kuniyuki has a concession from the Menkyo Kaiden".... can you clarify?

6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

7. Chris Parker

Hmm. Reason I ask is that Kaminaga Shigemi was taught by Ueno Takashi. I'm not aware of a Yoshin Ryu through Ueno, as most of the Yoshin Ryu are descendant schools of Akiyama Yoshin Ryu, including Tenjin Shin'yo Ryu, Shindo Yoshin Ryu, and a number of others. The link didn't really give much in the way of lineage, and I don't recognize the list of waza (it's not Takagi related, which is sometimes erroneously referred to as a Yoshin Ryu line), so I'm just curious, really.

8. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

I wrote soke, the autocorrector changed it :confused:

I'll edit to fix.

9. Chris Parker

Ha, cool... when will smartphones learn archaic Japanese honorific titles, eh? Surely it's something everyone uses in their daily life on a constant and consistent basis? Or is that just me...?

10. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

I think the specific Yoshin Ryu is Hontai Takagi Yoshin Ryu, as Kai Kuniyuki is Menkyo Kaiden in it.

edit: but he himself refers to "Ninth Dan in Traditional JuJutsu"

Menkyo Kayden = License of total transmission

So my bad phrase of 'has a concession' is redundant. The Menkyo Kaiden is/has the license as he 'knows all' for that Ryu.

11. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

For this monday I have many cultural - legacy questions for my sensei... :D

12. Chris Parker

Yeah, I'm familiar with Menkyo Kaiden, and what it means. The Takagi Yoshin Ryu and it's variants (Hontai Takagi Yoshin Ryu, Moto-ha Yoshin Ryu, Hontai Yoshin Ryu, Hontai Yoshin Ryu Takagi Ryu, Takagi Yoshin Ryu, Takagi Ryu etc) aren't Yoshin Ryu lines, they're Takagi Ryu lines. It's never referred to as "Yoshin Ryu".

13. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

Menkyo Kaiden definition was mainly for those that don't know, if there is any in this forum.

Friday in the extra class we went over 'Yoshin Ryu' Shoden ('first teachings'). A few of them, as an example:
    1. Katatedori - Tekubigatame
    2. Ryotedori - Kotegaeshi
    3. Sodedori - Udehineiri
    4. Munadori - Hijijime
    5. Katadori - Udehishigi

14. Chris Parker

Interesting. Those names don't match Takagi Ryu methods, unless part of a Kihon section. Certainly not Shoden Gata in the lines I'm familiar with. For the record, the Shoden Gata (omote only listed here) for Takagi Yoshin Ryu are:

Kasumi Dori
    Do Gaeshi
    Karame Dori
    Kyoto
    Kata Mune Dori
    Ryo Mune Dori
    Oikake Dori
    Kaigo Kudaki
    Iki Chigae
    Yui Gyaku
    Ran Sho
    Ken Nagashi
    Hiza Guruma

Then you have the Ura Gata, which are a separate section in some lines, or taught with the Omote Gata in others, or alternate names for some of these kata in other lines (such as Do Gaeshi being called Horaku Gaeshi).

15. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

More specific information about the three jujutsu's we practice at my dojo (as you can see, this is my most structured post in this thread, ergo, the information is not mine, comes from my sempai):

· Tai Jitsu or Nihon Tai Jitsu (Ju Jutsu school created from Minoru Mochizuki's teachings about Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu, with contributions by his students Roland Hernaez and Jim Alcheik).

· Yoshin Ryu Jujutsu (Yoshin Ryu Budo): Founded by Kai Kuniyuki from his knowledge of Asayama Ichiden Ryu, Bokuden Ryu, Shinto Ryu Kenjutsu, Mugai Ryu Iaiheido, etc.
    Kai Sensei combines different styles in his desire to develop a school with solid basics and the objetive of transmitting not only the techniques, but also the spirit of Budo and cultivating mind and heart.

· Asayama Ichiden Ryu: Its origins are not that clear, there are more than one possible founders, what is known is that it was quite notorious in Japan during the Meiji era.
    Its weapon techniques have been lost and nowadays we only have the tai jitsu techniques.

So what has been mentioned in this thread, of not recognising the waza, them not being Takagi, its because this Yoshin Ryu is sensei Kai's.

16. Chris Parker

Cool. So the Yoshin Ryu is a new system. That's kinda what I expected, so all good! Small note on the Asayama Ichiden Ryu details there... not all lines are the same. The line that Ueno Takashi held (also taught in the Genbukan) is only the Taijutsu, with teachings for hishigi (a small stick utilizing the patterns of the taijutsu tradition), as it's the Chi no Maki, with the Ten no Maki (Sword) and Jin no Maki (Bo) not being transmitted from two generations before Ueno. There are other lines of Asayama Ichiden Ryu, such as Asayama Ichiden Ryu Heiho, which have almost nothing but weaponry techniques, including an over-sized kama, and all their Iai being done as paired forms. Some groups have approached the Taijutsu lines to add, or re-incorporate a taijutsu approach into their methods. So, for the line you're talking about, yep. Not for all lines of Asayama Ichiden Ryu, though...

Oh, and for the record, the spelling is always "jutsu", not "jitsu". It's a completely different word in Japanese.

17. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

About Asayama Ichiden Ryu Taijitsu (Chi no Maki scroll of Asayama Ichiden Ryu)

All investigators agree it was founded at the end of the Muromachi period. But when it comes to the founder, it can not be determined exactly if it was Asayama Sangoro Ichidensai or Marume Mondo.

It was developed inside the Aizu han samurai clan, mainly by the Tanaka family.

Legacy:
    12th Soke: Tanaka Tomotsu
    13th Soke: Okura Naoyuki
    14th Soke: Nagamuna Tsuneyosi (opened the school to police)
    15th Soke: Nagamuna Yoshiyuki
    16th Soke: Ueno Takisha
    17th Soke: Kaminaga Shigemi / Sato Kimbei (*)

(*) here there are two successors, depending on what branch you ask.

The technical 'differentiating points' of Asayama are that it uses your own body weight, projections are not a basic part of it, and most techniques end with katame dori (this made it quite good for police)

18. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

note: I wrote my previous post at the same time Chris was writing his very informative answer.

19. Chris Parker

There are also some interesting stories about Asayama Ichiden Ryu... one origin story has Asayama Sangoro Ichidensai developing such insight into martial arts and combat that he felt that it was useless learning from any teachers, as he already knew how to beat everyone. This became the founding of Asayama Ichiden Ryu. Of course, Asayama Sangoro Ichidensai was 12 at the time....

20. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

About the hishigi, haven't seen it. But we do have tambo jutsu (and yubibo). Very very occasionally, boken.