Nice to meet everyone!

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by SifuJason, Sep 22, 2006.

1. SifuJason

SifuJason Valued Member

Hello,

I just stumbled upon these boards the other day, and being obsessed with the martial arts, I figured I should join up.

I am in my 17th year of martial arts training, and the majority of my time has been spent studying Wun Hop Kuen Do (a branch of Kajukenbo) under grandmaster Al Dacascos. In my time in the martial arts, I have earned a high green in Tae Kwon Do, a 1st Dan in Tang Soo Do, and a 2nd Dan in Wun Hop Kuen Do.

I am currently attending graduate school and teaching WHKD, and I am also the secretary for the WHKD International Association, and Editor-in-Chief of its newsletter.

Nice to meet everyone!

2. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

youve been studying since you were 5?!! :eek:

welcome to MAP

3. SifuJason

SifuJason Valued Member

Close! I am 23 now, and have completed 16 years (in my 17th year), so I have been studying since I was 7 for over 16 years.

4. flutterfists

flutterfists Valued Member

That's quite a martial arts background you've got there. Cool stuff.

In any case, welcome to MAP! :D

5. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

Welcome to MAP!

6. SifuJason

SifuJason Valued Member

Thanks, nice to meet all of you!

7. Tommy-2guns...

Tommy-2guns... southpaw glassjaw

heyhey, welcome to map,tell me a little about your style:)?

cheers
    Tommy

8. SifuJason

SifuJason Valued Member

Ah, my style.

Well the short of it is as follows:

Wun Hop Kuen Do (WHKD) is a branch of the larger system called Kajukenbo. Kajukenbo is blended, street-oriented martial art that focuses on practical, effective self-defense. It is a blend of KArate, JUdo, JUjitsu, KENpo and BOxing (western and chinese).

WHKD is characterized by an added level of kung fu and the filipino arts for added flow and weapon (stick and knife) work. The art is focused on doing what ever works for a given situation, and in being adaptive and progressive in both training and implimentation. WHKD means "combination fist art/way" in Cantonese.

While we do compete is some tournaments, the art is designed for practical self-defense. It has been taught to the Army Rangers, various police units, and various Anti-Terrorism Task Forces internationally.

9. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Hey Jason welcome to MAP.

May I ask if you think it's a bit arrogant to refer to yourself as "sifu" Maybe its a cultural thing but, in all the years I've been involved in MA I've never refered to myself as "sensei" despite the fact I run and teach martial arts.

Could you elaborate on why you refer to yourself as "sifu" which is a Chinese term yet, you hold a "dan" grade which is a Japanese concept for rank?

Ta

10. SifuJason

SifuJason Valued Member

The easiest question to answer is in regards to the use of both Sifu and dan. Kajukenbo is a blended system, and uses a variety of terminology. In our system, belt rank is delinated in dans, from our kenpo and karate roots, while our titles are Chinese: Sihing, Sifu, Sigung, Sijo (and the female equivalents). It's just the way the system is. Additionally, I teach/study/learn the more kung fu influenced branch of Kajukenbo, Wun Hop Kuen Do, so Sifu is doubly appropriate.

In your response to my alleged arrogance, I don't feel using the title of Sifu is arrogant at all, just like I do not find it arrogant if someone denotes themselves a Sensei, Sihing, Sa Ba Nim, etc, given that their title is appropriate to their actual rank and duties (i.e. they are full of it). I teach a style of kung fu, and have given a Sifu-ship by my instructor, hence I am a Sifu. By putting this in my signature, you know as a reader that I teach, and am not just a student, and you also know my rank, as I am up front about it, and this is a martial arts forum. I certainly don't have my friends call me Sifu :) .

11. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

Don't fret Jason, I see where you are coming from ;) . When I joined MAP, I was not used to using internet "handles" and just used my teaching title since it was what both my instructor, my peers, and my students refer to me as. If this were a venue outside of the martial arts, it may be a bit off, but in a martial arts context, IMO it's appropriate.

12. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Hey, if you've got it, flaunt it! ;) I don't think there's anything wrong with advertising one's accomplishments. It can help inspire others to work harder at the Art. If I were a Maestro, I'd probably put it in my sig. As it is now, I've just got Scholar rank in Longsword and Rapier. Which means in essence, nothing, IMO. There are those with less experience who could in all probability, would spank me utterly with my weapons of choice, and those with more experience who would find me a difficult opponent. For me, it comes down to "can you do the stuff or can't you?", and "can you fight or can't you?" However, not everyone is in MA to learn how to fight. Some study swordsmanship as a meditative/cultural/esthetic experience. Personally, if I can become a decent swordsman (in a "living engine of destruction" kind of way), I'll be happy, regardless of my title.

And there I go again, babbling away. Welcome to MAP, Jason! :)

Best regards,

-Mark