Nice ringen by a polish WMA group

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by Tommy-2guns..., May 10, 2007.

1. Tommy-2guns...

Tommy-2guns... southpaw glassjaw

http://ringschule.wrzuta.pl/film/xatAY2lJjU/ott_s_trailer
    check it out, some bits look a bit modern compared to whats available in most fectbuchs but this stuff looks great i recognise some stuff from passchen and i think petter.It reminds me of greco-roman wrestling and JJJ, the throws look common to many grappling systems although the positioning after the throws/takedowns look more ready for striking from a top position then any floor grappling, as you can see from the striking-esq guard after a throw is done.

what'd you guys think?

2. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

I thought it looked damn near exactly the same as JJJ, I mean really strikingly similar down to where they where gripping for the hip throws and shoulder throws, I spotted maybe two techniques in the whole thing that differed in their execution.

3. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

I've actually trained with theese dudes! They held a seminar in Sweeden at Swordfish 06. They are extremely nice people, very polite, and professional.

Theese techniques are from german manuals from 1400, 1500 and 1600. The way they perform the techniques can of course be influenced by other MA's they might have done in the past. (People say I do Fiore with an "Aikido-dialect". I have never trained Aikido, but the one teaching me Fiore had a background from Aikido, and it's fun how people can see aikido in what I do.)

Last edited: May 10, 2007
  4. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

I have their DVD. Excellent stuff. The service was really good, too.

-Mark

5. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

it was rather amusing. Very flamboyant.

6. Ran Pleasant

Ran Pleasant Valued Member

Cudgel

Amusing and flamboyant? In what was is it amusing? I'm asking so that I don't mis-understand you.

In any case, the peope in the viodeo are members of ARMA Poland. As Stolenbjorn noted, they are very professional and their interpretation of of the German unarmed arts is one of the best. ARMA members across the world are dying to train with these guys! By the way, the leader of ARMA Poland, ARMA Senior Researcher Bartlomiej Walczak, is one of the authors of the translations of "The Codex Wallerstein" which your instructor has recently been working with. For more videos of their very professional work see the following web page.

http://www.arma.lh.pl/zrodla/filmy.html

Ran Pleasant
    ARMA DFW

7. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

I have to ask, how much of that stuff is authentic and how much is holes being plugged by taking from similar arts?

I'm curious because, as I said before, so much of it looks like it is Ju Jitsu, not merely similar but the same technique.

As an example, IIRC the hip throw I saw used exactly the same set up and grip I was taught in JJJ, but in wrestling, the grip and set up is slightly different and I would have expected the throws in the video to look more like the wrestling stuff., indeed looking at old illustrations of JJJ throws, the stuff in that vid looks more like the modern day JJJ stuff I get taught.

I guess what I'm asking is if the techniques in the vid are techniques from old western manuals but taught through the medium of JJJ classes or something like that?

I'm not trying to pick a fight here, I am genuinely curious.

8. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

There is lots of wrestling info in the manuals, so any holes would likely be small.

Ringen had the same function as JJJ, so it's no surprise that they are very similar. I've heard that Ringen is very similar to Koryu Jiu-Jutsu.

Have a look at the Ringen plates (there are two sections) at this link: http://www.thearma.org/Manuals/CodexW.htm Do they remind you more of modern wrestling or JJJ?

I doubt that. :)

Best regards,

-Mark

9. Tommy-2guns...

Tommy-2guns... southpaw glassjaw

10. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

I said the video was amusing and flamboyant because there were spots in it that were obviously intended for comedic value, like a high spinning jump kick I saw.

EDIT: I was disparagin the skills demonstrated by the two people or implying anything insulting.

Last edited: May 17, 2007