Nice intro to leglock defence

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by icefield, Aug 16, 2021.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I definitely tap much earlier to people going for leg locks explosively, unfortunately that encourages people to do that, it's a training culture thing that's not always easy to manage.

2. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I was always taught that in training my partner's safety is my responsibility so it is on me to make sure my submissions never injure them, competition is different.

So submissions should always be applied in a controlled way, they can be entered explosively of course but applied in a controlled manner and let go off if I feel theirs an injury about to happen even if my partner doesn't feel or see it.

Where I see this not happen the class is normally full of young MMA guys, straight bjj and nogi guys seem to respect that but MMA guys not so much and that's across a number of gyms I've been too.

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  3. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Which is ironic because the growth of leglocks has been mainly in nogi where buttscooting is allowed and being under an opponent isn't really a bad thing, in MMA leglocks are still a bad thing to go for with experienced opponent's

Dead_pool likes this.