Newbie!

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Gonki, May 25, 2013.

1. Gonki

Gonki Valued Member

I'm a martial arts fan and an amateur practitioner :D Nearly 40y/o now since being a kid I was able to stretch my legs far apart beating my peers at that, imo a trait needed for good MA practice and did splits long time ago. I trained up for some muscle weight and endurance with own efforts. Never attended a school or anything, but practiced on my own after watching kung-fu movies on VHS tapes :D Recently beat up a stick-wielding thug trying to rob me and had him running, masked profanity removed! Actually it was not the only one time I was in a street fight :rolleyes: Here's a short vid cut of my moves http://youtu.be/3KMd_JTbMsI

Gonki, welcome to MAP.

I suggest you read the ToS, to which you agreed when you joined. Masked profanity isn't permitted.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2013
  2. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Welcome!

Did you use the moves in that video to fight the thug?

3. Gonki

Gonki Valued Member

Some of them. I'm not very good with names of MA moves, I think it's called a jump-kick. To start the fight after he swung the stick which I deflected below my left elbow I used it to strike him in the chest. He got tipsy and then I knew I had him.

4. Gonki

Gonki Valued Member

My bad, boss. :baby:

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Two things:

I'm not the boss.

You're not doing martial arts in that video.

6. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

Welcome to MAP!

7. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Is it because they are sports based?

8. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Welcome to the MAPness! A very helpful and friendly community here. :) I didn't watch the video yet, but please don't try to teach yourself a MA. It is inherently a partner activity. Forms are somewhat an exception, but you need a teacher to make sure you learn them properly and their applications.

ETA: what you are doing in that video is not MA. It is (clumsy)dance/cardio.

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  9. Hive

Hive Valued Member

Lol @ the video :D

10. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

Hey gonki. Your video is... Interesting. I suggest you take a look around the forums for a while. Self trained people often fall short and I don't want to sound insulting, but that video shows me that a teacher would do you some good.

I'm not a master by any means, but I am a decent martial artist. I also have a video thread that includes many kata videos as well as some bag work. I encourage you to check them out and cross reference my technique with yours.

11. ned

ned Valued Member

12. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Reminds me of hardcore dancing. And that's not a good thing.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrcqvKgVo1A"]Hardcore Dancing at Warped Tour - YouTube[/ame]

13. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

I think Grass Hopper put most of our thoughts all into one statement. As he said, self trained martial artists have had hard times, not because it is necessarily a bad way of learning, I know some self trained martial artists that can fight very well, but because they lack a teacher that can point out what is being done wrong, how to improve, etc. Also the reason self trained martial artists have a hard time is because many don't have a convenient means of practical application or just a way to practice the moves on a live person, they can't pressure test their skills unless they have a training buddy or get into a street fight. You can shadow box all you want, etc, but until you spar or train with a real person, who moves and reacts like a real person, it is really hard to know what works and what doesn't, what is smart to do, and what is not so smart.

EDIT: The reasons why self trained martial artists have a hard time is purely IMHO. Not really going to call it canon but that is just how I feel where they are lacking.

14. Gonki

Gonki Valued Member

I checked out some of your vids. There are some sharp hand strikes and posture work yet the leg work I saw was at the waist level. I meant for my vid to be silly and give laughs (where possible). It is not serious MA work. At the same time I show jump and spin kicks with the heel at or above the head level. I rotate on one leg while throwing kicks with the other on each gyration that are high enough to reach above a forehead. Is that worth anything? My one jump kick disabled a real-life assailant.

15. Gonki

Gonki Valued Member

16. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

OP, I've got nothing but positive things to say about the video. Judging you by it you've got a fair bit of things in your favor in terms of martial arts:
    1) You're physically fit! Much easier to start martial arts from a position of fitness.
    2) You're enthusiastic! You want to practice and take part! You're interested in martial arts in particular and want to practice martial arts! That's awesome!
    3) You've got a sense of humor about yourself and are willing to be a bit silly at times. This is, like honestly, something that makes you want to train with someone. It's no fun training with some constipated piece of beef jerky who isn't interested in anything except blowing smoke seasoning up his own self sealing plastic packaging.
    4) You have a sense of adventure! You've obviously traveled and tried different things before, some of which were probably uncomfortable (I know all about SouthEast Asian toilets!).
    5) You're striking needs some work. I'm sorry man, it's just, I mean, it's just absoludicrously in need of some work. Take a martial art. Any martial art. Spend 12 months there, post a message, you will be saying "Yo, you were so, so right."

PS Are/were you in Thailand? I lived in Bangkok for 3-4 years.

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  17. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Just because you can get your leg high does not mean you have a strong high kick. You could be able to kick over the head of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar but if there's no force behind it you're not going to be much of a threat. I'd much rather see a strong kick aimed at the torso or legs than a powder puff kick thrown really high.

18. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

It's not martial arts, it's dancing.

If you hit someone with that spinning kick they posed little threat and were completely untrained or skilled.

Join a class if you're interested in training.

19. Gonki

Gonki Valued Member

My spinning kick sucks. Imo spinning kicks are dangerous to make as there is a moment of blindness when you are not facing the opponent. My jump kick on the other hand is strong and I can prove it. And have.

20. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Jump kick could mean so many things.

What do you mean by "jump kick"? Do you have a vid of you striking a target (bag, tree, Justin Bieber).