Newbie to MA, starting Zen Kempo Jujitsu

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Angus101, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

As he should! Every martial art has a value of some kind! And I'll stand by that.

Has your instructor been graded in BJJ or Sambo?

2. Angus101

Angus101 Valued Member

Hmmmm, not sure.

3. Pretty In Pink

Well do you guys learn groundwork?

4. Angus101

Angus101 Valued Member

Yeah sure, but classic Jujitsu has that in it doesn't it? Not just BJJ and Sambo?

5. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Not necessarily in the same manner as those arts.

The classical systems will often involve the use of weaponry at close quarters and will have influences from fighting whilst wearing armour.

All that tends to lead to different things being taken into account.

All depends on the ryu-ha of course.

6. Pretty In Pink

It's true, I used to roll in Ninjutsu, but I should tell you, if your teacher is determined in becoming a more complete martial artist, I highly recommend BJJ/ sambo/ Judo/ Wrestling/ CSW. All these are much better than just JJJ.

I have a story that will serve as a good example:

I started Ninjutsu at 16/17, and there was this guy who took the class, had been going for about four years, he was (and still is) very dedicated to learning MA. Anyway, move on 3/4 years, and I'm starting BJJ for the second time. And by chance my friend had enrolled at this school too. So I asked him how Ninjutsu had been going ( I was only there for a few months). He says "It's alright, falling in standards a bit" I asked if they still rolled there he says "Yeah! But when they are rolling I can see the massive gaps, and I try and point them out to the instructors, but they say "That's BJJ, NOT Ninjutsu" so now I can tap out the instructors without difficulty."

So yeah, long story short, BJJ = much more effective than Ninjutsu (and probably JJJ too).

7. Angus101

Angus101 Valued Member

Double Post

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  8. Angus101

Angus101 Valued Member

Here's some stuff from a seminar a few years ago I think. Our instructor is the slightly older guy in the black Gi top who's in it most of the time.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McDIQALpxkM"]Seni Ki Ryu _ Zen Kempo Seminar.flv - YouTube[/ame]

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Those are all things I would ask if I was giving a seminar - seems douchey to write someone off on that basis, especially as Dan is one of the most talented martial artists on the face of the planet

10. Hannibal

Looks like bog standard WJJF to me. Some of it was actually pretty bad if not out and out dangerous

11. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

^

This!

Wet lettuce uke, poor attacks and wonky distancing.

Knife work was shocking.

12. Angus101

Angus101 Valued Member

From him or the other guys?

13. Angus101

Angus101 Valued Member

......Because I don't know who anyone in that video is apart from him, I think they're from a different club trying out things he's shown, literally just going through the motions. When we do it, we effing attack each other like it was real life, we don't hold back like they are here. I agree they're not exactly making it representative of real life.

The knife defence shown there is a simple 'something you can learn straight off the bat if you have no-where to run' for beginners. It's not designed to turn you into Luke Holloway.

I'd love to learn the Silat knife defence stuff he does having said that!

I'm really enjoying it!

14. Hannibal

Mainly from the otehr guys, but he pulled some pretty lame stuff too

Sorry to say this, but if that is what he is doing he should keep his mouth shut about Guru Inosanto

15. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

inosanto is probably the best all round MA'er on the planet.

16. Hannibal

Bar none!

17. Angus101

Angus101 Valued Member

Fair enough.

I've been around quite a few clubs now and talked to different senseis; seems like EVERYONE'S got their own opinions about EVERYTHING, good and bad, so I take it all with a pinch of salt.

Just like if you asked me my opinion about certain professional guitarists!

18. Humblebee

Humblebee PaciFIST's evil twin

You sound very level headed. You'll do well.

19. Humblebee

Humblebee PaciFIST's evil twin

So yeah, long story short, BJJ = much more effective than Ninjutsu (and probably JJJ too).[/QUOTE]

In groundwork or in general.

20. Angus101

Angus101 Valued Member

Here's a new video: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMkOguj5oxY"]Zen Kempo Ryu Ju Jitsu Demo - YouTube[/ame]

Still enjoying it by the way!