newbie saying hey

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by RussianKenpo05, Dec 30, 2005.

1. RussianKenpo05

RussianKenpo05 Valued Member

Hello all,
    I am a student degree black belt at One Martial Arts, in San Francisco, CA, taught by professor brannon beliso, son of Lenny Beliso. I am testing for first degree around June :).
    Just saying hello,
    Russian Kenpo Guy

2. dianhsuhe

dianhsuhe Co-Founder: Glow-Do

Howdy!

Welcome to Martial Talk I hope you enjoy your stay and congrats on your upcoming test/promotion!

What style are you in?

Cheers!

3. Vadla

Vadla Valued Member

Congrats! and welcome to MAP :)

4. Dr.Syn

Dr.Syn Valued Member

Greetings and welcome to MAP..Best of luck on your upcoming test..

5. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

Welcome to MAP. I hope you enjoy your grading.

6. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

Do you study Kempo of some kind? Please tell us about it :)

7. RussianKenpo05

thanks

Thank you all for the warm welcome.
    I have had my grading date pushed back to august in order to complete my stripe requirements. I actually just completed two stripes this week,and have a third and fourth around the corner in perhaps a month or two, then again, it gets more and more difficult, but thats why i train :). I train in kenpo, not kempo, coming from the grandmaster rick alemany lineage(i am sorry, i do not know any further back). I have been training since age 5 and have loved every minute of it.

edit:i train in kenpo, my ignorance tells me it is shaolin, but i am unfortunately not 100% sure, for we incorporate many different elements from aikido, jiu-jitsu, with the main influence on kenpo, so i cannot specifically name the kenpo style in which i train. If it is any indication, its of hawaiian decent, of that i am certain.

PS:pardon my ignorance

Last edited: Feb 4, 2006
  8. dianhsuhe

dianhsuhe Co-Founder: Glow-Do

here

I quickly found this info. on Mr Alemany.

"Grand Master Richard Alemany has been actively teaching for over 40 years and has directly instructed 8 students to the rank of Professor (7th Dan or above). GM Alemany has developed a vast number of skilled instructors and is a frequent instructor at international master's events. His focus on effective competition, self-defense tactics and reality based training makes him a highly sought after instructor. Grand Master Alemany began his training in the martial arts in the 1962. He quickly became a skilled fighter and established him self as a champion in the tournament circuit of the 60's 70's and 80's.

Grand Master Alemany's main style is kenpo karate with Great Grand Master Ralph Castro as his primary instructor. His expertise further includes Ju Jitsu instructed by Dr. Duke Moore, Wing Chun instructed by Chris Chan, Modern Arnis (Filipino stick fighting) with Grand Master Remy Presas and Grand Master Ernesto Presas, Tai Chi with Tony Ho, Shorin-Ryu with Richard Kim, Kajukenbo with both Abraham Kamahoahoa and Sid Asuncion.

CURRENT MARTIAL ARTS RANKS

10th Degree, Grand Master, A.T.A.M.A., Duke Moore

8th Degree, Shaolin Kenpo, Great Grandmaster Ralph Castro

6th Degree, Kajukenbo, Professor Sid Asuncion

5th Degree, Kajukenbo, Sijo Adriano D. Emperado,
    Professor Sid Asuncion, Professor Abraham Kamahoahoa

7th Degree, Modern Arnis, Grand Master Ernesto Presas

3rd Degree, Modern Arnis, Grand Master Remy Presas

Grand Master Alemany's philosophy is that martial arts can benefit anyone, spiritually as well as physically, without regards to age, gender, race or capability.

Grand Master Alemany is one of the co-founders of A.T.A.M.A. (American Teachers Association of the Martial Arts)"

So your Kenpo comes from Gm Castro.

James

9. RussianKenpo05

thanks a bunch, thats what i thought at first, just never did my research. Love kenpo alot, professor beliso has been incredible since i transfered from alemany to his school.

10. Joe V.

Joe V. Valued Member

Hello to you and welcome... You come from a very respected branch of the of the Kempo tree!
    Best of luck in your training!
    JoeV.

11. RussianKenpo05

Thank you for the warm welcome. Castro indeed is an incredible martial artist :)

12. bdocili

bdocili New Member

Grandmaster Alemany was certainly once a high ranking and respected Professor under Great Grandmaster Ralph Castro. However, he is no longer part of the Shaolin Kenpo association and his black belts are not considered black belts in Shaolin Kenpo. His teachings have changed and even his forms are no longer the same.

13. RussianKenpo05

so i have heard....its a shame, Alemany was a great master back in the day....i have actually just switched over to Ralph Castro's Kenpo Karate from One.....training under the great grandmaster now :)....i absolutely love it.....i outgrew One and its babysitting.I get my rear end handed to me daily, and yet i keep on coming back for more.....the black belt class is absolutely intense but i think im doing well and keeping up. i feel pretty damn priviledged to be able to train under great grandmaster castro :).

14. Nuck Chorris

Nuck Chorris I prefer North South

Why is it a shame?

15. shaolinmonkmark

shaolinmonkmark Valued Member

Hey russian kempo!

Hey russian kempo!
    My name is mark!
    Keep it up!!!
    Let me know if you ever come down to carlsbad, california!
    Cheers!

16. RussianKenpo05

haha will do :)....its keNpo btw :D :p thanks for the encouragement!!!

17. RussianKenpo05

because he was a pretty kick ass master back when i trained with him for quite a while....iono, just would be cool if he was still under the shaolin kenpo banner...

18. Nuck Chorris

Nuck Chorris I prefer North South

So since he is no longer under that banner he is no longer an asskicker? Or that because he no longer is under that banner, he can no longer be pointed to as an example of an asskicker within your organization?

19. RussianKenpo05

you completely misread my post....he is still a world class asskicker,lol(I can tell you that much...he came back to sf a month ago to visit)....iono how to explain it....it would still be cool if he was under the shaolin kenpo banner....thats just my honest opinion.

20. RussianKenpo05

Just a small update.
    Great Grandmaster Castro has informed me today, that I will be promoted to 1st degree black belt on december 13th at our official promotion ceremonies for the lower belts :).
    15 years of training, 8 as a student degree black :).
    Cheers folks, I'm on cloud 9.
    Ilya