Newbie asks questions...

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by sys-x, Jul 15, 2003.

1. sys-x

sys-x New Member

I began attending a MA class about a year ago (I won't say which one since I don't want to sound like I'm criticising that particular style/school), primarily for self defence, but 12 months down the line I don't really feel any more capable of defending myself in a "real" situation than I did before I started (although I ama bit fitter now so I could probably run away a lot faster :D )

Perhaps it's my own fault... perhaps its down to the fact that we rarely do any sparring.... anyway I have two questions:

[1] Should I really be expecting to feel more confident in what I've learned after only a year of 2 classes a week, (plus some training at home most evenings)?

[2] Based on your own experience do you consider/have you found TKD to be a good MA to study for realistic self defence?

Sorry if these are stupid questions :eek:
    I'd be grateful for some advice.

2. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

if you havent really learned anything in a year you need to look at you school. Are they giving you what you want? Are you getting what you want out of if. If not. Go somewhere else.

Most traditional TKD school are good about teaching self defence. So if that is what you are wanting go watch a few classes.

3. grandmaster mat

grandmaster mat wataaaahhh!!

i train in tkd and it does and has taught me many things but this might be the same for u, its just not for me. dont get me wrong i do love practicing tkd but i dont see myself staying with it in many more years to come.

4. xplasma

xplasma Banned Banned

Hey
    I have done TDK for about a year too, I even TA the TDK GYM class at my university. However, I have found it very poor for self defense, manily because there are very little moves, if any, for when an attacker is in very close. If you are looking for Self Defense I would try
    Ninpo
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    Those are the two arts I do and I find them very good it self defense stituations.

Judo
    Krav Maga
    I have done these but not stuck with them for various reasons, but I still recommend them.

5. sys-x

sys-x New Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I guess thats 1 for, 1 against and 1 maybe....

I recently started learning Escrima, and the contrast between this and the other class I was going to was what made me realise I wasn't really sure I was getting what I wanted out of it. I'm really enjoying the Escrima and it seems to be great for close-range work, but I was thinking of cross training in something less weapons oriented, with more of an emphasis on fitness but still good for self defence, which is why I was considering TKD

Xplasma, what you said about TKD being poor for defending yourself against close range attacks is pretty much what I had heared before, but the TKD school in my area advertises teaching TKD for "practical self defence". Thats why I wanted to ask people with some experience of TKD what they thought about this.

I think there may be Judo and Krav Maga classes in my area. Not sure about Ninpo though - don't know much about it except that its a Japanese MA (I think!). Do you have any links to some Ninpo info?

6. xplasma

xplasma Banned Banned

7. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

(1) If you have been training for a year, you probably should start to feel more confident. Of course, it also depends how much time you are spending outside of class practicing... in order to make those techniques more natural. Something else to consider is that in some TKD styles after a year you would probably be approaching green belt/blue belt level (my guess and pure speculation)... this level tends to have a hig dropout rate partly because people start to feel doubts in how good they are, and may be intimidated by the prospect of the amount of work necessary to become really good. (personal speculation based on own school)

On the other hand, if you aren't feeling very confident in what you are doing, maybe that's a clue to go and check out some other styles/systems/or schools and see what their program is like. If they seem to be about the same as your current school, maybe it's okay.

In any case, cross training is a good thing to do to find/fill in gaps in your self defence training. See if you can try some seminars or attend a different style for a certain length of time to polish your skills and possibly add some new ones.

(2) I am primarily a Taekwondo stylist and am very happy with the self defence skills I have learned at my school. My school is a bit different because we also do Hapkido classes and have many cross training opportunities... leading to a very strong (in my opinion) self defence program.

The bottom line though, is not how good Taekwondo (a whole encompassing style) self-defence is, but rather how good is the self-defence program at YOUR OWN SCHOOL? Individual vs. entire style.

8. beta_b

beta_b New Member

'The bottom line though, is not how good Taekwondo (a whole encompassing style) self-defence is, but rather how good is the self-defence program at YOUR OWN SCHOOL?'

Totally agree. Although we practise mainly kicking/sparring techniques at my school, the instructors also try to include self-defence moves and hand techniques (jabs, palm strikes) for streetfight situations into the lessons.

sys-x, if you really like TKD then stick with it but perhaps look at joining another club that offers more re:self-defence.

9. USHY

USHY New Member

There are no stupid qustions... I don´t belive TKD is a self-defence art, cos it has not changed into this direction...
    If your club would teach TKD it simply wold not teach TKD because its princeples don´t work at the street... to much rules...
    I gues TKD is good for the basic, try CMM or ATK for S-D... I think I read about some combat TKD at this forum too might be helpful if you would like to stick with TKD in general...

10. sys-x

sys-x New Member

Thanks, that all seems like sensible advice.
    I think I'm going to try a few TKD classes and see how it goes. I found out my nearest TKD school does womens self defence classes as well, so along with the Escrima that might help me cover everything I want to learn.

11. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

Tkd is a good art, if u havn't learnt Self defense in one year then probably ur school is not good...
    i hav been student of this art for years and i myself or anyone from my class didn't hav any problem with self defense....

I agree with Thomas on this... better find out school which teaches specifically Self defense not arts...
    -TkdWarrior-