new workout (please Critique)

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by tetsu ryu, Sep 24, 2006.

1. tetsu ryu

tetsu ryu Death is always a option!

Hoorah! new workout (please Critique)

1st week
    Monday:abs/back/pull muscles
    for endurance and balance for core and endurance/speed in pull muscles

i do a plank with my arms extended out further for incredible intensity
    then i fall flat on my face and do hyper extensions for my back muscles, then i roll over and do a backbend and shift my weight back and forth and left and right untill i feel a good burn and then i do bob and weave exercises left and right front and back till i tire and then I finish up with torso twists. I repeat that cycle of exercises 3 times.
    for pull ups i do 3 sets of as many pullups as i can each set and i change the grips up from reverse regular and wide grip. Also i do 1 set of hanging from the pull up position till i feel i cant and then i do another set from a half way pullup. and thats it for monday

Still.. 1st week
    Saturday: push/leg muscles
    for endurance speed and power

First i do 1 set of my max pushups as fast as i can then i follow up with 1 set of my max of divebomber pushups then 1 set of 2 of the varried pushups in my arsenal such as decline, full range, diamond, wide spread, or uneven placement. Also along with this i do 2 sets of hand stand pushups (wall assisted) and 1 handstand wall assisted untill i pretty much can't. and for legs i'll be doing explosive jumping back and fourth, some jump roping and hill climbing whenever possisble and when im feeling frisky ill do 2-3 second rushes.

2nd Week
    monday: Abs/Back/pull muscles
    for strength and speed

First i'll start off with 1 set of max situps ill take down my 60 pound punching bag and straddle it and lock my arms around it and lift it up to my chest and do so fairly fast. Imagine hiking a football only bring it from the chest to the hiking position and then back up. After that I'll do throw downs but all alone =(. and then i'll do hanging side crunches. and finally i'll do a vacuum to engage the deep mucles of my abdomial wall. As for pull muscles im going to 3 sets of weighted pull ups as i can each set and i will also do 1 arm hanging for forearm strength for 2 sets.

Still 2nd Week..
    Saturday: push muscles/legs
    for strength

First i'll start off with 2 sets of bench (162lbs but thats all the weight i got) then i'll do 2 sets of 1 arm push ups and ill do shoulder shrugs (im shrugging the 162lbs that i press.. (i really need more weight)) then i will do arm raises with 30 lbs dumbells to the front and if a had a dip bar.. i would tear that thing up man.. for legs ill do pistols 1 legged calf raises and last but not least weighted jumping and when im feeling frisky (haha) ill do weighted versions of the calf raises and pistols.

Well thats pretty much it! I was wondering if this workout was both good for generall fitness and i would like it to evolve into a millitary fitness regime because i want to join the U.S. Marine Corps (hence the 2-3 second rushes ( i use em all the time in paintball)) and fight for and support our nation, so any comments by a Marine of any country is much appreciated. But any critique would be usefull!

with much gratitude,

Stephen

Last edited: Sep 25, 2006
  2. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

3. SickDevildog

SickDevildog Lost In The Sauce

So you're only training twice a week?

You need to focus on your pullups, crunches and 3 mile run if you wanna get in shape for the PFT.

I'd say do gtg on pullups till you get up to 20 with no problem.
    If you got one of those pullup bars that mount between your doorframes make it a habit to knock out 5-10 reps everytime you pass under it.

Do your crunches the way you're gonna do them in the PFT; arms crossed infront of your chest with your hands on your shoulders. To perform one repetition touch your ellbows to your thighs. I suggest you try to slam your upper back into the ground and use the bounce to get the next rep done quicker if your crunches are weak.
    Use the cheat bounce version only if you can't knock out 100 crunches in 2 minutes, if you can, do them with good form.

What are your goals, and are you already in the delayed entry program?
    If you are, ask your recruiter to get you a free membership to the YMCA so that you can get some quality strength training done.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Edit:
    Here's a link that explains the crunch you'll be doing for the PFT:
    http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marines/l/blfitmale.htm

4. tetsu ryu

yes, Ive looked at all of those sights and there is definitely some usefull stuff in there thanks for the post and links Blessed samurai. i reallize that for one to become efficient at combat one must do combat and thats why i train mma. for some reason i forgot to include that on every thursday I train MMA..and very intensely too!

5. tetsu ryu

yeah! ive actually been to that sight as well i appreciate the link and help!
    are you a marine and if so are you expected to lift weights in the marines?
    delayed entry? nah im only 16.

6. SickDevildog

Ya I used to be in the Corps,
    Are you trying to go in at 17? If so you'll need your parents to sign you a waver.

I suggest you get well acquainted with the mountainclimber, pushup, proneflutter kick and running high knees(with your forarms parallel to the "deck" and your knees touching your palms).

If you're going to Parris Island you'll get quarterdecked atleast 5 times a day doing all kinds of "fun" bodyweight excercises nonstop at high intensity.
    To get ready for that I'd say do atleast 3 conditioning sessions a week consisting of intervalls, circuits and pyramids.

You'll be doing PT in the middle of a sandflea and Red-ant infested field and are not allowed to scratch, so try to keep your hands at your sides during and after your workouts. (no wiping sweat out of your eyes, hands on hips, etc)

Get ready for the Drill Instructors to "play" Mount' Suribachi where they dump the contents of entire platoons footlockers out and kick all your gear into a pile in the middle of the squatbay with 3 of your Squadleaders and the Guide holding the platoons guidon in place resembling something like this famous scene: (imagine the debris at the bottom of the pick beeing your platoons freshly shined boots, extra camos, belts, socks and everything else you had neatly stashed away) :D
    [​IMG]

I'm sure they've invented all kind of new and fun games to play with the recruits by now. :rolleyes:

Also, be ready to run any and everywhere you're told to go. ;)

7. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

You can divide it into these sessions

squat
    ohp
    chins

bench
    deads
    rows

8. SickDevildog

Last edited: Sep 25, 2006
  9. tetsu ryu

oh actually i think im going to join at 18. My goals are to simply be the best recruit i can possibly be.. and then be udderly humbled by the fitness regime of the Marines. (lol) but the real training begins next summer when i have access to a swimming pool because i'll be working daycare at a gym and i'll swim on weekends and ill also have access to weights for free. it would be absoloutely wonderfull sir if you could give me a workout that may help me prepare myself for what you went through in bootcamp. I know much of it is physical however alot of it is mental. From what i hear, the early morning runs are hell.. Also again is there any weight lifting in the marines?

10. SickDevildog

You don't have to call me sir, i'm only 24 ;)
    Take advantage of the pool, you'll be doing water survival drills with and without gear.

I'll see what I can do, I wont make you an entire routine but I can tell you what I would do If I had to go back to bootcamp.

Most of the stuff in bootcamp is strength endurance, so you're already on the right track.

Important!
    Don't get screwed like me, make sure your recruiter keeps track of your progress, his job is to get you ready for the PFT and the ASVAB nomatter what he's trying to tell you, that's what it boils down to.

Free ASVAB study tools:
    https://secure.military.com/leads/Recruiting/RecruitingLeadForm1.jsp?ESRC=ggl_rec_asvab.kw&asvab=yes
    http://www.petersons.com/testprep/d...e.pft.asvab&WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=48&WT.mc_r=180
    http://www.military.com/ASVAB
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&rls=GGLJ,GGLJ:2006-34,GGLJ:en&q=asvab+free

You need to study hard for the ASVAB, the higher you score the better chance you got to get an MOS that's intersting and challenging. It's just like your SAT for college/uni.

Alright, here are the excercises your most likely going to do in bootcamp, if you do them daily you'll have commited them to muscle memory and it wont be sucha shock to your body once you do them in BC. Remember repetition is the mother of learning.

Quarterdeck and Sandpit torture: :D
    Pushups
    Pullups
    Pushups
    Dips: (most likely on footlockers)
    Crunches/Situps:
    High Knees
    Jumping Jacks
    Superman
    Lying leglifts(feet never touch the deck or go lower than 6 inches)

Burpees:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/rossboxing2.htm

Mountain Climbers(halfway down the page)
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/henkin18.htm

Prone flutter kicks(on back and stomach, you'll be doing them on the ground not like in the link)
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.php?Name=Flutter+Kicks

During PT
    Endurance Run
    Stepups
    BB curls
    Military Press
    Plus all the fun stuff from the pit and quarterdeck

To put a routine together check out these links:

Adams awsome resource guide:
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40033

H&F stickies:
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82

Tabata Intervalls:
    http://www.warriorforce.com/newsletter/warriorwire3.htm

Circuits, Minute Drills and Intervals:
    http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/indooroptions.html

Tabata Sample:
    Pushups x20sec
    rest x10sec
    Lunges x20sec
    rest x10sec
    Pullup x20sec
    rest x10sec
    BW Squat x20sec
    rest x10sec
    Situps x20sec
    rest x10sec
    moutainclimbers x20sec
    rest x10sec
    Jumping jacks x20sec
    rest x10sec
    Burpees x20sec

Or

Pushup x20sec
    rest x10sec
    repeat 8 times

Windsprints:
    Sprint 25m
    Jog back to start
    Sprint 25m
    Jog back
    etc.

When you make your routine try to give each session a theme:
    Conditioning upper body emphasis
    Maximal Strength
    Plyometrics
    Speed endurance
    Strength Endurance
    etc.

Endurance runs:
    Can you run 3 miles nonstop right now?
    How fast is your 1 mile run?

Ya, once you get into the fleet you're allowed unlimited acces to the gyms, in BC you'll probably touch a BB every now and then for curls and stepups.

Good luck with everything, keep asking questions if you got any. The only dumb question is the one floating in your head but not beeing asked.

*Waits for the fitness gurus to jump in and give some better advice ;)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2006
  11. tetsu ryu

yes actually i can run 3 miles non stop but I should think I would get around 23 and 26 (jogging pace) at the most and i havnt timed myself in the mile in forever! i need to though. yesterday i was able to do 15 dead hang pull ups in 2 minutes i actually think i was going too slow though because i was allowing no movement what so ever (or is that how it will be in the pft?) this saturday im gonna test my push ups. Yeah i can definitely formulate a new workout with all of this stuff! thanks alot! hmm only 24 huh? i guess that means you went through MCMAP? i bet thats fun! well first thing i gotta do is graduate from highschool and I've got a big project comin up so i might not be on again till friday but keep the posts coming and any combat (millitary) specific exercises like 2-3 second rushes for example would be extremely appreciated. thanks again guys!

Stevo

p.s. please explain supermans. ty

Last edited: Sep 26, 2006
  12. ItalianStallion

ItalianStallion Valued Member

13. tetsu ryu

Thanks i appreciate it! (btw i did very good on the project.)

14. SickDevildog

What project? :confused:

15. tetsu ryu

oh it was a big science project haha anyway. im trying to formulate a good summer workout as we speak. btw i tryed to see how many pushups i could do in two minutes.. i burned through 50 the first minute or so but i got up to 67 before the timer beeped. ive got some work to do but none that i can't handle. ive been doing plenty of burpee's and im reaping the benefits... more sore muscles! i appreciate all the posts and keep 'em coming.

16. SickDevildog

How's your summer workout look sofar?

17. tetsu ryu

well im not exactly certain but there will probably be plenty of swiming and lifting saturday at the gym though.. im thinking about doing hiit with swiming and burpees. has it been done before??? sounds like a pretty good idea to me.. and i'll get in at least one mma class a week. and i'll reserve one day for plenty of pt with pushups pullups and situps and i'll see if i can run some too. Also I would probably like a day where i can just work on my bag and do various training drills. for lifting weights i think i might try out the 5*5 thing that your doing sickdevildog. especially if it works well for you.. btw nice profile pic! :p