New Vids

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by SsangKall, Mar 23, 2011.

1. KJMS

KJMS Valued Member

That kinda reminds me of what my son brought over to our previous Thanks giving dinner,A de-bone chicken,stuffed in a geese,stuffed in a turkey stuffed with cajun rice and crawfish.Nonetheless,it was good!:)

RL

2. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Your preaching to the choir! (lol I had to look up how to spell "choir")

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  3. jamesdevice

jamesdevice Jötunn

the traditional spelling is "quire"

for some reason it got changed during a purge when "experts" tried to Latinise words which weren't
    I'm not sure who was to blame in this case. Dr Johnson maybe?

edit
    for interest, its jut been pointed out to me that the correct traditional pronunciation would have been closer to "queer"
    another of those words that has suffered from vowel drift.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  4. Hyeongsa

Hyeongsa The Duelist

Randomly getting back on topic:
    Many of the videos I have of Masters that are in the World Kido Federation (Korea group) and much of the old Kuk Sool Won break off masters (Koreans mostly) use more shoulder/elbow than wrist. The reason being is the inverted form requires a tad bit more power if trying to do the form and actually hack someone up. Best example is this: try using an inverted sword technique to cut down some rolled up cutting mats and only use your wrist. Then use your shoulder/elbow. Then tell me which one is better. I see alot of people today do the sword forms and they look so beautiful...and so weak. There is no more focus on cutting power like you see here with GM Yang. Another thing I liked is instead of doing the slow "ki" blade motion, he uses the end of the handle to strike an opponent (I was taught that way as well and still teach it that way too).

I would love to see GM Yang doing Woon Ohk Hyung! You should see if you can find a video of him doing it his way (because I can bet money he, just like every old school master out there, does it his own way). GM Yang is very talented and I always enjoy watching his videos. Too bad he doesn't update his site on a regular basis!

5. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

sorry hyeongsa, i am forbidden from putting up any hyeong after SBC2(SBC3, UHH, UBH). the intro master yang does in un hak hyeong is totally different, so maybe i can do a snippet of some of the similar things so copying can be kept to a minimum. what do you think?

6. Hyeongsa

Hyeongsa The Duelist

That would be pretty cool! No offense though, but I SERIOUSLY doubt seeing a new beginning to Woon Ohk Hyung, or seeing a couple of extra hand strikes/kicks in Sahm Ba Cho Hyung, would be some awe inspiring mind freak for me or the rest of us. However, I do TOTALLY agree with you on the Woon Bae Hyung. It should be kept private. Anyway, you should message me privately on our mutual networking site about the forms though. LOL

7. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

i have to disagree with you:
    a) sam bang cho sam hyeong is a whole form in itself, longer than part two AND splitting off at four different angles as opposed to the 90 degree turns in part one and the 45 degree turns in part 2. like the patterns before it there is what appears to be a 25 percent recycling of old moves at new angles with about 75 percent newly introduced material.
    b) in any vid of master yang doing a form you can watch his timing, root, transition speeds. and point of power. it is in his open handed material that you can catch his breathing method. value it or not, this is not for people to emulate or take. it does him no justice.

8. Hyeongsa

Hyeongsa The Duelist

Actually, you do have a point with part 3 and since most people have seen/been taught part 3 that would be a probelm for you I suppose. And I do enjoy watching Master Yang doing his materail regardless as it is always inspiring! That was a very well worded post my friend!

9. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Just a question from the curious.....

Have you ever back-tracked the more advanced forms that your teacher does to see if you can find parallels with any other traditions or practices?
    I understand that K-S has its share of basic HYEONG that were made-up by the "founding fathers", as it were. But I also understand that some of these K-S forms were in existence well-before the Occupation. Have you thought about looking for "kindred spirits in other traditions? I know that some TSD people did this with the forms that they borrowed from Japanese and Okinawan Kata. Thoughts? Comments?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

10. Bruce W Sims

Thanks, Ssangkall:

Who is the fella in the yellow uniform? Is he rather high-ranking? The reason I ask is that I notice all of his responses to a charging opponent include abandoning his combat-distance. Is it not also part of K-S to "Crowd" or advance-on the charging opponent to as to pre-maturely close the combat-distance? I wouldn't ask about this except that I don't think I have ever seen a K-S demo where the opening moves were not responded to by the defender backing-up and this seems to set an unbalanced approach to aggression in the mind of the defender. Thoughts? Comments?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

11. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

i'll tell you something about our hyeong, mr. sims, but i am not sure if it will help. when i played the video of the plano, texas shaolin wuyi teacher doing his 5 animal forms on my iphone for my teacher (the fella in yella), he called out each animal within 5 seconds. there is no title of video on the youtube app, so he has an understanding of this style.

this style is taught at the taiping martial arts institute, courtesy of a teacher from guangdong region. this teacher once taught at the central nanking guo shu (kuksul) association (won). this style of hung kuen seperates the five animals and teaches a twin crane set (like our un hak hyeong). the similarities go as far as the 4 geup level patterns we learn under black belt and the 3 sam bang cho's and Un Hak Hyeong we practise at 3, 4, and 5 dan levels. Geom Mu Hyeong, Baek Pal Gi, and Kyeok Pa Hyeong come from somewhere else altogether it seems.

to relate these points, my teacher has told me that he taught at huh il ung's(former kuk sul hyeop hee member, student of jang in mok...you know, the other DRAJJ master...not yong sul choi) school in seoul during the late 60's when he was attending college at korea university (he is a proud tiger). huh il ung spent time studying martial arts in taiwan.... came back with many books. you kindof getting what i am getting at, sir?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  12. Bruce W Sims

Many thanks. Yes; that helps a lot. "Five Animals" is another way of breaking-down material and organizing it along rational lines.With all of the references I read in K-S material about "crane"-this and "tiger"-that, I'm guessing people could get a lot out of examining the way individuals do Five Animals Boxing. Thanks again.

BEst Wishes,

Bruce

13. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

Sounds to me like a cajun version of a turducken. :cool:

14. jamesdevice

jamesdevice Jötunn

Am I the only one who thinks thats an unfortunate choice of name for an item of food?

15. unknown-KJN

Nope, as I've often thought the same exact thing, J-D. While a portmanteau of turkey, duck, and chicken, if you break it apart in spots OTHER than where the various bits & pieces were put together, one could easily read it as:

TURD-∪CK-EN

Now, "∪ck" IMO is reminiscent of the exclamation "yuck" (used to denote something which is not at all tasty, or perhaps grotesque in appearance) and I don't think I need to touch on the first syllable as I broke it down, since that word when used with foodstuffs undoubtedly would be (quoting from a worn-out phrase) as popular as "a turd in the punchbowl." :evil:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  16. Bruce W Sims

On the heels of my previous question can anyone answer the following?

Since there seems to be a range of political organizations, even a "KUK SOOL" and a "KUK SUL". Is a person at least able to say that all groups that claim to teach KUK SOOL/SUL at least all teach the same forms, if only to a point? Please note that I am not talking about variances since there seems to variance within even the same organizations and groups and even over time. Rather what I am talking about are the fundamental forms such as "KI CHO Hyung". If I go to a European K-S school and one in Malaysia will the groups essentially be doing the same forms--give or take? Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

17. ImaJayhawk

ImaJayhawk Valued Member

Bruce, from what I've seen...yes.

18. unknown-KJN

What if I were to answer that with a *definite* maybe? :D

But since you qualified it with "give or take" the answer would most likely fall to the affirmative.

19. Bruce W Sims

Just to clarify my "give or take". I'm thinking that a person who goes into the schools I suggested might see someone doing a form and,without being advised, recognizes the form to be "XYZ". As I write this I am thinking of the range of schools who do, for instance, the PINAN/HEIAN KATA in Okinawan and Japanese Karate. AFAIK a reasonably well-informed individual would recognize these KATA for what they are. I think that is the line along which I was thinking with the KS forms, yes?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

20. unknown-KJN

AFAIK, Bruce, not all the kuk-sool groups advocate the same forms, but many of the hyeong ARE used by the majority of the various organizations. So while someone may witness a form (or two?) they are unfamiliar with while visiting a kuk-sool dojang that falls under a different authority, sooner or later they're bound to bump into one they know all too well, within the curriculum of the place they're visiting.

Does this make it more clear for you?