New Training Schedule

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Liquid Steel, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Liquid Steel

Liquid Steel Valued Member

So I just recovered from my iffy shoulder (been out for 10 days?) and money is ok for the moment *touch wood but the time away from training has made me think that I'm not using my time efficiently.

Being a masters student means I can get a hell of a lot done if I manage my time correctly! I want to train much harder from now on... what do people reckon to this training schedule?

Bagwork: Daily at completely random times. (driven by metal and DnB;))

Monday: 12-1 MMA + 8.30 - 10 BJJ + Swimming + Sauna
    Tuesday: 7 - 9 Luta Livre (mainly no gi) + Weights + Swimming + Sauna
    Wednesday: 1-2 BJJ + 8.30 - 10 BJJ
    Thursday: 6.30-7.30 MMA + 7.30 - 9.00 Traditional MA
    Friday: Weights + Light Sparring/Padwork
    Saturday: 10.30 - 12.30 Traditional MA + Swimming + Sauna
    Sunday: Swimming + Sauna + Weights + Light Sparring/Padwork

I'm trying to gain weight, are the mild sauna sessions after my swims going to effect this too much? I assume as I'll only be temporarily losing water it will not?

I have the chance to do Judo on Friday evenings too but I don't want to run the risk of injuring myself by overtraining. I tried to find some wrestling to throw into the mix but it's really hard to find in the UK, the only classes I could find would interfere with my other arts. I train with friends on friday and sunday so I'm thinking of giving those sessions a wrestling flavour and just practicing stuff from DVDs.

Cheers for any input.

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Why all the saunas?

Mitch

3. icefield

icefield Valued Member

your trying to gain weight and are worried about over training and injuring your shoulder and you think that routine is a good idea:eek:....you are doing weights 3 times a week, cardio 3 times and 7 days of martial arts....can i ask when are you thinking of resting recovering and growing ?

4. Liquid Steel

Detoxification...and they're good for muscle recovery. The gym I go to has a hydrotherapy section so it includes hot tubs/sauna/steam rooms etc. :)

5. liero

liero Valued Member

From the looks of things you don't have a rest day, even a rest morning or afternoon!

And your trying to gain weight!? You had better be eating more than homer Simpson at an all you can eat buffet 3-12 times a day.

Personally I think you might be training too hard after coming back from an injury, but I don't know your work capacity. Are you a competitive fighter? How long have you been training?

Also, what does your weight lifting program look like?

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Is that a real thing or only in diet books?

Mitch

7. Liquid Steel

I'm on weight gain shakes and I hit sainsburys every day to get at the reduction shelf. I'm aiming for 3500 calories a day minimum.

It is a hard schedule, no doubt. But I am building it up in stages with the day classes starting in January.

The TMA classes are really not very physically taxing as they focus (perhaps rightly so) on technique. So to me Saturday is a rest day. The sparring sessions on friday and sunday are very much just helping friends to train and again not that taxing on my body. I have a history in athletics and competed on a national level in high jump (hence the weight gain ;))

I'm currently on the 5*5 intermediate weights programme.

I think I will take what you guys have said on board though and I will leave the Luta Livre alone for a while. :)

I don't aim to be a professional fighter or anything like that and have never competed in anything martial arts related. I've been training MA on and off since I was 16 years old, but have to admit I have been far from dedicated.

Leaving it as;

Now til end of Jan...

Monday: 8.30 - 10 BJJ + Swimming + Sauna
    Tuesday: Weights + Swimming + Sauna
    Wednesday: 8.30 - 10 BJJ

End of Jan onwards...

Wednesday: 1-2 BJJ + 8.30 - 10 BJJ

Would you guys like me to start some sort of blog to keep you appraised of how it goes? You may enjoy reading about how I destroy myself! :confused::cool:

Who knows, I certainly feel better after them. I get acne sometimes so it's good for my skin too. :)

8. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

First off, I wouldn't do bagwork every single day. It does take a toll on the body and without rest it can lead to injury down the road. Several times a week is great, but every day is overkill.

As for your schedule, I think you will jump into overtraining quickly and either quit or get hurt in a short time. You may need to tone it back some, especially after coming back from a shoulder injury.

What is the traditional martial art you train in?

I would probably look into something more reasonable, maybe something like this:

M - MMA or BJJ (not both), swimming, sauna.
    T - Do the LL only if your recovery is good, and pass on the weights (2x a week is plenty for a martial artist if you train it with enough intensity).
    W - Only if you've recovered, do one BJJ class
    T - Today would be a good weights day, and do only either the MMA or the TMA for the day. Again, only do the classes if you're recovered.
    F - Off day, you need one!
    S - Fine if you want to keep it this way.
    S - I'd just do the weights and swimming today. No need for anything else.

Still, this breaks down to 5 martial arts classes, 2 weight training sessions, and 4 cardio workouts a week. I'd still say that's too much. You also have a lot of intense days stacked together, which can hurt you in the long run. If you want to train six days a week (you always need at least one rest day), you need lighter workout days to recuperate.

Here's my schedule breakdown, which isn't concrete but is one I typically stick to.

Mon - Kata/kihon workout
    Tue - Muay Thai, running, yoga
    Wed - Kata/kihon workout, weight training
    Thu - Muay Thai, running, yoga
    Fri - OFF DAY
    Sat - Combatives training with friends, weight training
    Sun - Kyokushin Karate, running, yoga

So as you can see, I have four "hard" MA sessions a week plus two light ones (the kata/kihon workouts). Sometimes the combatives can get a bit intense but also sometimes the Kyokushin one can be a bit milder (for example, if we're focusing more on kihon or kata that session). Sometimes we just can't together for combatives either, which is understandable. The kata/kihon workouts are more for recovery and focusing on technique than endurance or power. The yoga helps a lot with my recovery.

Naturally due to my busy schedule, things change but it's very manageable. The kata/kihon workouts I can fit in at any time when I'm at home. I often do the yoga in the morning before sleeping. After MA class I go for a run and do abs afterwards. I always do the weight training after class, and since I train in my garage it's whenever I can squeeze in an hour.

I would recommend picking only two max that you want to train in right now. Say, MMA and your traditional martial art. If your TMA sessions aren't too intense, you can toss in the LL too. Do weights twice a week, and swim three times a week. Build up to this though, you don't want to mess up your shoulder again, and this time permanently.

9. Liquid Steel

My shoulder injury was just RSI from being at the computer too long, damn uni work! Nothing serious and I wanted to keep it that way.

I will take away the BJJ daytime session and I will cut down the bagwork to everyother day.

Leaving me with...

2 classes of BJJ, 2 classes of MMA, 2 classes of TMA. Nice balance I think.

I will go to Luta Livre as and when I feel like it. :)

P.S. What happened to the journals on MAP?!

10. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Just be careful, that might still be a bit too much. Especially if your TMA classes give you a good workout. 4 days a week of swimming might be tough on your shoulder too.

11. Cavedweller

Cavedweller Valued Member

My God! I need to go and have little lie down after reading that!

12. liero

liero Valued Member

Kuma's workout advice is sound.

with your intended workout plan...3500 calories still isnt enough!

Bump it up alot more. Pasta dinners for midnight snkack and Steaks for breakfast and lunch.

Weight gain shakes are good but you shouldnt get the majority of your calories from them, they are just sugar normally.

how do you do all this and study, do you work?

13. Liquid Steel

Cheers for all the input, I'll pump up the calories with more eggs and milk. 4500? Surely that's insane!? At the moment I seem to be bulking at a slow and steady rate on around 2500 but I don't want this to end suddenly as I switch the training up. I really like steak though and as I live 3 mins from sainsburys I can go bargain hunting everyday to keep my diet costs down. mmmm steak.

"how do you do all this and study, do you work?"

I have an ebay business that gives me pocket money but I live mainly on my development loan. My masters doesn't take me as many hours a week as you'd think and if I fall behind I simply stay in on a friday or saturday night and beast it. I'm studying German and French too which actually takes far more hours of my time per week than my masters does (don't tell my tutor that though). You can get a lot done if you manage your time well. I have my whole week timetabled with random two hour and one hour gaps all over the shop. Apart from friday, saturday and sunday evenings which are all completely free. Unlike most students I refuse to simply waste my time on facebook or watching mind numbing TV.

Unlike most of the population I am not imprisoned for 8 hours a day helping to fund my own childrens enslavement so I have far more time to play with. I don't want this period of my life to be wasted.

I've never trained this hard before so we'll see how well I do, it's far too early to be sure. Journals aren't working atm so perhaps I'll just update this thread now and again?

14. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

Is there any reason you have to gain weight?

I used to eat like a horse and workout everyday and couldn't gain any weight.
    Until I hurt myself anyhow.

Actually I think trying to work out everyday isn't a bad idea because unless your a pro athlete things come up and really make it impossible to workout everyday anyways.

But if you do actually manage to workout everyday and have a bad shoulder I'm sure you'll hurt yourself at some point and most definitely gain weight if only cuz its hard to cut the calories out once you get used to consuming a certain amount.

Like everyone else I think Kuma's suggested workout schedule is good but
    Honestly I think having 2 rest days is really the best route to

1) avoiding another injury, Trust me you'll be stuck doing nothing more if you get stuck rehabbing an injury.
    2) You'll gain more weight resting up on that extra day and you won't have to add more calories to your diet.
    3) The extra day will give your muscles time to recover. It looks like you have a pretty intense workout schedule anyhow. In your case I think you'll actually see more performance gains with more rest not more work.
    4) you'll have more time to do a good job on your master's degree. Its your education dude and your paying for it you might as well leave enough time to do it right.

15. icefield

icefield Valued Member

this is good advice

speak to any pro S and C coach and the first thing they will say is planning the rest periods is the most important part of a training programme, that and cutting the training programme most amatures come to them with:)

16. wushurichard

wushurichard Banned Banned

Traditional martial arts are a grewat and powerful ewapoin that are great even for proze fighting,

what styles do you train firned ?

17. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I'm guessing you're only in your first or second year. When I studied for My Masters in Engineering I was doing similar training (but with rest days and big weights), but for the last three years my training eventually only allowed one evening a week for MA and I hit the gym in the mornings.

Just remember why you are at university and don't let your short term MA goals, screw up your long term career plans.

18. Liquid Steel

The T.M.A.'s are Jiu-Jutsu (the judo+ variety, it's Aiuchi if anyone is familiar) and Budo Taijutsu (Bujinkan). I'm more naturally inclined towards the chinese arts but I feel the Japanese arts to be more "efficient", especially as you get older.

BTW You should improve your spelling, nobody will take you seriously in the big wide world if you write like that. It's important to be eloquent, for starters women like it.

------------

I'm a masters student my friend. 5th year at university. I'll be sure not to let training or languages interfere with my academic performance.

-------------

I've spaced the classes depending on the stress they will put on my body. Thanks everyone for the advice. The training in the TMA classes and the rolling/sparring with friends isn't too stressful on my body, the BJJ classes are definitely the most bruise and ache inspiring sessions! MMA I've only done a few times before now, seems to be roulette. Some sessions you come away sweaty, other sessions just plain broken.

Monday: 8.30 - 10.00 Traditional MA + Swimming + Sauna

Tuesday: 6.30-7.30 MMA + 7.30 - 9.00 Traditional MA + Weights + Swimming + Sauna

Thursday: BJJ 12.00 - 1.00 + 6.30-7.30 MMA + 7.30 - 9.00 Traditional MA

Friday: Weights + Light Sparring/Padwork with Friends

Saturday: 10.00 - 11.00 BJJ + 11.00 - 12.00 No Gi + Swimming + Sauna

Sunday: Swimming + Sauna + Weights + Light Sparring/Padwork with Friends

--------

When the journals start working again, maybe I'll start one. :)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  19. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

So you're training Aiuchi Jiu-Jitsu, Budo Taijutsu, MMA, BJJ, and Luta Livre all at once? Doesn't that seem like a bit much for you?

20. icefield

icefield Valued Member

hes young and new, he wants it all now :)

sometimes its best to make our own mistakes (when i was at uni i remeber lifting wegiths and doing cardio eery day for 2 hrs plus martial arts 5 times a week) then wondering why i didnt make progress and was always injured

sometimes its best to come to our own conclusions on these things, he cant really learn from our expereinces he has to learn from his