New to the forums...

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Street Stylist, Apr 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Valued Member

So how do you know that it has the properties required for a bokken? American Oak is different to Japanese, you know... How do you know what the "right weight" is? Oh, and the swordwork was picked up for a couple of reasons... firstly, there's quite a few serious, genuine practitioners here... but, more importantly, it has a higher chance of injury if approached badly. To quote a famous book, amateur martial arts are a source of great injuries....

2. Street Stylist

Street Stylist Banned Banned

How many times must I say this? I never took instructive lessons in kenjutsu - or ninjutsu, for all you ninjas - So if you have ANY training at ALL in kenjutsu, you SHOULD be able to beat me with a sword. "End of story." If you can't beat me with a sword, oh well, I don't even care. What can I say? I learned the art of swordfighting through personal experience. I don't mean kenjutsu, I mean the art of swordfighting.

3. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

So how does a system that is not a system work?

How do you learn the skills and develop attributes?

How do you develop coherency and avoid conflicts?

4. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

Lets get back to specific technique shall we?

Describe to me your fighting stance without using the words "fluid, adaptable, and changing" because those don't tell me anything.

5. Dean Winchester

Sword fighting without cutting?

Sword fighting that strikes things as you would with a stick?

6. Chris Parker

I didn't say I'd beat you, I said you'd end up in hospital. And no, you haven't got any experience or training in "the art of swordfighting", as you have never done anything resembling sword fighting. You have experience in swinging sticks and deluding yourself.

7. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

You say this...

And then you say this?

Might wanna get some extra cushion on your chair there.

8. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Is this still going on?

9. Street Stylist

That's funny because I haven't dodged a single question yet. I'm trying to answer ALL of them, but you just keep asking more and more complicated questions... About things I'm the LEAST familiar with. You keep trying to snare me, but I keep going. Ask me something I know about an art I have experience with. Or instead of telling me what I don't know, why not tell me what you know? If you know kenjutsu, share it. Me? I don't know kenjutsu.

10. Chris Parker

The thread begs to differ.... and, frankly, to tell you what we know would take far too long... although you've been pointed in the right directions throughout the thread.

11. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

We don't know what you know.

So far anything that has been asked is something you don't know about. Not because traps are being set, but more that you don't seem to know anything to do with martial arts.

So please enlighten us as to what we CAN ask you. Things you know about and are prepared to answer.

12. Street Stylist

Baijong stance, that should tell you everything.

13. Chris Parker

And what is your understanding of that stance? Why is it the way it is? Why do you use it?

14. Dean Winchester

Oh stop it. People only have to look through this thread to see where you have done so.

I've asked about thing you are familiar with this for example is a good example of where you contradict yourself about things but don't offer clarification.

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1074749733&postcount=232

These relate specifically to your "system".

So how does a system that is not a system work?

How do you learn the skills and develop attributes?

How do you develop coherency and avoid conflicts?

15. Dean Winchester

There are a range of people on here so the above could mean very little to some.

Again you offer nothing beyond a word, phrase or vague notion.

16. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

It was probably the first thing that came up when he quickly googled "JKD stance" :)

17. Street Stylist

Has anyone read all the way through this thread from beginning to end? How about my 2nd post after my OP? If not, read it. Grasshopper, you were cool, you started getting to me, but now you're cool again. Thanks for keeping it simple. NOW that everyone is back on track, I'll try to again answer all your questions in more detail once I get on the computer. Again, I'm using a phone. So be patient.

Oh, and at some point, yall gotta give me time to breathe. I have questions too which I'd like to have answered. Respect.

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  18. Chris Parker

Yes.

The one you were called out on pretty well straight away?

What do you think it tells us? My reading of it is someone who has limited (at best!) exposure to a smattering of approaches, no real base, a deep lack of understanding about what you were shown, as well as martial arts in general, a lot of false humility, and, well, a lot of gaps. As well as some outright false statements ("I have also practiced Traditional Japanese Kenjutsu" being a big one...), it really isn't a good thing to remind us of... it doesn't paint you well.

Right....

19. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFS

20. Street Stylist

Humility? Not at this point. Nobody here is showing humility. Maybe one or two people, that's it. If you read through everything like you claimed, many so-called contradictions were already sorted out. A good example being Dean's idea of traditional kenjutsu compared and contrasted with my own idea of traditional kenjutsu. I don't practice Dean's kenjutsu.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.