New to Thai, question about gloves.

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Combat Sports, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

I just got invited to try a Muay Thai class for a few weeks, is there a specific type of glove I should be looking for or am I just looking for regular boxing gloves?

(I don't mind buying gloves, I KNOW I am going to take Thai full time eventually, just trying it now because it is free for the time being.)

2. EdScissorhands

EdScissorhands New Member

In the classes I've been to gloves were provided - we only had to bring hand-wraps, and you can survive without those a few weeks :)

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

14oz-16oz training gloves normally suffice, depending on how big you are.

4. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Thai gloves are slightly different as the padding isn't the same as for boxing. Anything will do though for now. Usually the club will provide a nice smelly pair?

5. MindTricks

MindTricks Valued Member

you want to be able to catch kicks with your gloves so i dont think pure boxing gloves will let you do that well

Just don't make same mistake as i did when i started, don't buy cheap pair because they look cool. Your hand will be sweaty as hell and padding wont last very long on them.

if you planning on training long term id suggest getting something from Top King, Twins, Yokkao, or Fairtex

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  6. holyheadjch

People manage just fine in my gym.
    Hmmm. A pair of cheap boxing gloves will last a year of training. Since most people will quit within a year, I don't think spending a pile of money is a good idea. Besides, you can't appreciate quality until you've spend enough time with the cheap and nasties.

7. MindTricks

MindTricks Valued Member

yeah you can train with any gloves until they fall apart im sure but if you want to feel more comfortable when you training i think spending that extra money is a good idea. Plus im pretty sure a good pair will give you more hand protection

8. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I bought a cheap pair of Thaiger gloves about 5 years ago and they're still lasting me. Boxing gloves are differently shaped a little, yes but if its only used for the short term then there's nothing wrong with it.

I say only spend the money when and if you start taking MT as a serious and long term commitment.

9. holyheadjch

Sure, you'll get more hand protection from better gloves, but beginners are hardly going to be punching through their 16oz Lonsdale's are they? The difference in comfort isn't going to be that important for a beginner, since any gloves are going to feel uncomfortable to someone unaccustomed to wearing them. I don't think the benefits outweigh the additional costs. Beginners should buy what they can afford.

10. MindTricks

MindTricks Valued Member

yeah totally agree, but he did say he wants to train long term thats why i was suggesting him to buy a good pair.

11. holyheadjch

Everyone says they want to train long term before they've started.

12. Moi

Although a pair of 16oz gloves will never go to waste?
    Me might be married?

13. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

If you've got money to spare then I agree with Top King, Twins, Yokkao, Fairtex or Venum.

14. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Standard boxing gloves will suffice until you are sure you want to commit to the art. I used normal boxing gloves for K1 style Kickboxing for the best part of a year before moving on to using Muay Thai gloves and I managed just fine using them for clinch work and catching kicks.

Ideally you're supposed to train with gloves suited to your weight and height, but even if you are lighter I would still recommend a 16oz - 18oz glove. It is basically the equivalent of punching with weighted bracelets on and will help increase your punching speed and power, as well as increase the stamina of your guard.

For brands, Top King, Twins, Yokkao, Fairtex, Venum, Sandee, & Boon are all highly recognized brands in the Muay Thai community and generally you should be looking at getting equipment from these companies if you are serious about Muay Thai and want top quality equipment that will last.

Some gloves may have stiffer padding, or be smaller in the hand compartment, than others. So try finding some reviews for any specific pair you intend to buy first as it's important to know that your gloves will protect you and any potential sparring/drilling partner.

15. daggers

daggers Valued Member

A good pair of 10oz gloves

16. holyheadjch

A lot of gyms won't let you spar with gloves that light. Especially if you're a beginner

17. Moi

I'd be telling a grown up to buy bigger

18. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Quote of the new year!

14-16oz gloves. Any brand. I prefer Twins.

19. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Eeewwwww. Like wearing someone else's used underwear.