New to martial arts in a new city...

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by conure1986, May 2, 2011.

1. conure1986

conure1986 Valued Member

Hi all,

I've done some research and feel it's time to actually speak to people who are experienced. I hope you can offer me some guidance!

I have just moved into a new city for a job and (finally) have a fair bit of free time in the evenings. I've been interested in MA for a while though my fitness up until now has been swimming and running. I have found 2 places that interested me here, one teaches Jeet Kune Do twice a week, and the other, MMA. I'll link the schools here.

http://www.tonbridgemma.co.uk/

and

http://www.iceblackbeltschools.com/

So, through my amatuer eyes they both look quite interesting and I do like the idea of these modern and (from what I've read) highly effective arts, however I have a few worries, which I'll list.

First, they train on alternate nights...Would it be a worthy investment to train MMA and JKD together (I believe JKD is in essence, an early form of MMA?) or will 4 training sessions be over kill? If I decide to only go for one, is two session a week enough? If I take the hobby up I intend to take it up seriously and invest a fair amount of time into it.

Also, my hand eye coordination is not incredible (due to running and swimming not doing much to improve it!) and I am far from being a 'hard man'. I am a little worried about blundering in, look like an utter moron and generally appearing like a bit of a wimp against muscle bound fighters..I understand these things can be trained however my aim with MMA would be for high fitness and fun sport, as opposed to being able to knock people out and generally get my teeth smashed out - Am I looking at the wrong sport?

Hope you guys can correct some of my huge misconceptions and naivity...

Thanks,

Luke

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Try them both, if you can give each one a couple of weeks, see how you like each art and each club. It'll come down to how you fit in with the club and the guy in charge more than the art. Try before you buy:)

Then take MMA

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Welcome to MAP.

I have trained with Lee Banda head if the ICE Academy and he is an excellent Martial Artist.
    He is a multiple world eskrima chamion, Kent representative in Muay Thai under Master Sken and former sparring partner of Ernie Alesna (former world number 3 proffesional boxer).
    He is also a certified JKD instructor under Bob Breen, so his CV is excellent.
    One of his students trains at my class and tells me that often it is the senior students who take the class while Lee is on the phone. I only have my students word on this and it hurts me to write it, as I have the upmost respect for him. That said I would say go along and check it out. He got me a long way to where I am today.

You are only 10-15 miles from me and would be welcome to come along for a free lesson and to ask questions.

4. Moi

Now that's lucky :)

Simon's one of Map's good guys, an opportunity not to be missed (don't worry that he's old & wrinkly)

5. Simon

Oi, I resemble that remark.

6. Moi

You're not the only one :cry:

7. conure1986

conure1986 Valued Member

Hi guys,

Thank you very much for the information - Simon, I would certainly like to take you up on your offer! Is MMA ever just "for fitness and some competitive fun" or is it entirely made up of people that see UFC style beatings as the thing to aim for? I probably sound reluctant to get into sparring, which isn't true - It's just I didn't take up boxing for a specific reason..I don't really want to be repeatedly smacked around the head, my brain means a lot to me! I think that's one reason I have gravitated towards the martial arts as they seem a little less about head punching. Am I wrong about this with regards to MMA? I understand that of course there is pain involved and huge amounts of physical stamina (I found Taekwondo exhausting...) both of which are things I am fine with, brain damage or lesser brain function, not so good...

So, now I've firmly established myself as a coward, what do you guys think? :D

8. Simon

Haha, your not a coward, but it seems as though you feel you may get chucked in the deep end and have to spar the class big ugly dude on the first day. A good instructor will build you up to this point.

I cannot send you a PM, because you need 10 posts before it is activated. If you click on my name and view user profile you should be able to send me an e-mail.
    Failing that click on my blog and view Simon Sheridan's profile in pages. My e-mail adrress is there.
    You are most welcome to come along and check out what we do.

9. Moi

MMA isn't like that. It really is full of good guys that want to train real hard. It'll be more physically demanding than your TKD but it'll give you the strength & fitness to deal with it. Also that's why MAP is here, to give you the advice to enable your body to deal with martial arts more effectively.

It's unliky anyone is going to be beating you around the head :) Not saying your not going to catch the odd kick or punch but that happens in any art.
    It'll keep you busy :)

10. Moi

You don't spar with them for a least a week do you Simon :)

11. Simon

Oi I resemble that remark as well. :cry:

12. Moi

We should market 'Mitch Mask' sparring gear so everyone can have those Hollywood movie star looks

13. conure1986

conure1986 Valued Member

A week? Well I've seen Enter the Dragon maybe 8 or so times so surely after a week I'll be ready to fight anybody??

hehe

14. Simon

Enter the Dragon is what first got me interested. Must have now seen it 50 times.

Yes yes, I know it's sad, but in my teens I knew no better.

15. Moi

Oh I can see you're going to fit in here just peachy :)

16. Simon

Wait till I've been at him. :woo:

(I mean moulded him into a serious martial artist).

17. Moi

So glad it wasn't me saying that :love: How old is he again?

18. conure1986

conure1986 Valued Member

25, though the office is making me feel closer to 75. Just went swimming and managed 20 lengths with significant breaks....****..

19. Moi

I want to start swimming again but I just sink. Shame really as when I was a kid I could swim like a fish. I'd probably scare the kids now so maybe I won't.

Keep that up and it'll make beginning martial arts that much easier

20. digitalfanatic

digitalfanatic Valued Member

I really think that any school is good as far as you are learning the basics. It's the further techniques and excercises, that different schools have different opinions about. You, should really search more about their plan!