New to BJJ as an older adult

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by clarky75, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I feel like criticism of what is essentially a pyramid scheme is fair game. I have no idea why the instructors buy into it though.

As far as I'm aware it depends on the place. Ivery read accounts that some people have left places after hating it. Everyone who is still "in" seems to be happy enough. Does just make it sound more cultish though doesn't it?

I'vr also read rumours that people sign NDA's if they leave or something like that. Might just be a joke though.

Dead_pool likes this.
  2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I don't think I've ever worn a gi that cost more than £50. Can't think why I would, either!

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I mean, if you can afford it, and like it. Then a cool, buy that branded gi. If you're sponsored, even better.
    To me, if it meets standards then £50 is about right. When you add patches etc, it comes close to about £80-100 a gi anyway.
    Although there is a Street Fighter themed one, I reeeeeally want. But if I get that, it wont be patched at all.

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Access to gradings, (it takes a second degree blackbelt to grade a blackbelt) advanced instruction, access to rolling with high level competitors and help with marketing are the main reasons why people do it, as long as everyone gets something out of it it can be fine, unfortunately it often doesn't end up like that.

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  5. Pretty In Pink

I'm happy with the organisation I'm with tbh. When I get my black belt my instructor will be 4th or 5th and we already have good relationships and also have the added extra of CSW affiliation.
    . I think the most annoying part will be keeping up to date with IBJJF and them recognising my rank. It's important for students who want to compete at international comps.

Dead_pool likes this.
  6. Dead_pool

Often people have issues when they're original teacher passes away, or when theres been a big falling out, often its about money, cause Brazilians can sometimes be all about the money, and in the states BJJ is a big money maker, but less so in the UK, it's a complicated subject really.

axelb likes this.
  7. Martin L Holloway

Martin L Holloway New Member

8. Martin L Holloway

Its all BJJ or really Kosen Judo in the real world. If you are doing BJJ or say you are, even though you might doing Judo then hey welcome to the UFC we market that stuff here, makes it to where the anouncer has less wazas to remember like 75% of it is Newaza so to convey easier to the audience. The Japanese Jujutsu community knows this too. Parents like the idea that there kid want get concussions from being thrown around “Nagewaza” and less Insurance for the Dojo in general. I really believe you present an illusion easier to new practioner other wise none as a novelty. Most Judoka are not fans of BJJ because its only a small part of Kodokan Judo. I mean you got all these patches like a indie 500 and only know Newaza with some Shimiwaza, give me a break.

9. Pretty In Pink

Well the going joke is that BJJ means "Basically Just Judo" which is funny but not true really. It's it's own sport. If you don't like it that's up to you but don't try and belittle others and lie about it. It's not marketing, BJJ is linked to MMA but the vast VAST majority of people in BJJ have never done or even tried any striking arts or MMA.

axelb likes this.
  10. Dead_pool

US-Bujutsu-Kaijpg.jpg Martin, are you a BJJ blackbelt?

As your profile picture shows you wearing a BJJ blackbelt, but you dont seem to like it?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    axelb likes this.
  11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Ironically in a thread on BJJ someone needs to slow their roll...

12. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I was curious about that also. That style of black belt I've only seen in BJJ.

Dead_pool likes this.
  13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

That gi and belt look brand new. I don't think either item has had any mat time at all.

Dead_pool likes this.
  14. Dead_pool

I'd say there's a good chance this guy has his own style of jiu-jitsu.

15. Martin L Holloway

It is one of nine gi, yes absolutely not a lot of time in this Gi. Its only a few years old. You cant were gi with patches etc. In Judo it has to be pure white.

16. Martin L Holloway

Judoka Nidan 1996. Yes thats not a judo belt. I dont do BJJ yes thats obvious.

17. Dead_pool

So why are you wearing a BJJ blackbelt in your photo, and on your website.

US Bujutsu Kai - Martial Arts Lessons in Renton

18. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Hi Martin
    On your site you have the following
    Blackbelt - September 1st. 1996. M.L. Holloway Yudansha Nidan certification is 96090119962 Judo/Aikijujutsu
    I'm curious what organisation Judo/Aikijujutsu is?
    Thanks
    D

Dead_pool likes this.
  19. Dead_pool

"Karl Geis Kodokan Judo and Shodokan Aikido in Houston, TX. March of 1991, closely related to Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu."

So aikido not DR.

But also different dates.

20. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Karl Geis seems to have a good reputation from what research I can see in judo.

I have to say of all the experienced judoka, bjj, wrestling, sambo, mma i have trained with, they all recognise that it is not much the same, certainly crossover, and those who are experienced often look to cross train for that reason.

Martin L Holloway and Dead_pool like this.