New TKD school in my area

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by wayofthedragon, May 17, 2004.

1. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

a new tae kwan do school just open up in my area. I'm going to check it out, though I'm not going to join. I'm not training anywere right now. was doing muay thai and JJ/bjj but I'm taking off until I get things straight.

But what's with TKD, I mean, if I do decide to start training again soon ( which i doubt it being that I'm very buisy at the moment....working, school and wanting to get straight to join a branch of the armed forces) I was thinking I'd probally do the TKD because its a a lot closer and gas is so high. Also because I never had any training in it and would like just a little. But I've been hearing a lot about how TKD is less effective than other styles of martial arts ( although I personally believe it is what the artist puts into it, that is what he gets out of it) But what are youre personal thoughts on this?
    Would it be just a waste of time. Not trying to bash any styles here. I respect TKD.....but I don't want to join a dojo or anything that sticks mostly or almost completely to competition/sport training.

2. Teryan

Teryan Valued Member

Search the TKD section. This is posted at least once a week.

3. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

My advice would be to go to the school and try a couple of lessons (they may offer a free trial period). If you really worry about what's being taught, talk with the instructor beforehand and tell him/her what you want to get out of the school. If the school matches those goals... then join. If not, shop around.

There are lots of different Taekwondo schools out there, offering different things to different people. I would agree with you that the individual is more important than the style name.

4. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

well I did it, I checked out the school already and I've been to 2 classes already just observing, I'm going again this evening to train and possiblely join:eek: The instructor already has a uniform and equipment waiting for me:) ehhh, it's closer therefore more convenence for me to train there than at the muay thai bjj/jjj place.
    classes are 45 dollars per month.... 5 nights a week....morning classes as well....with free uniform and equipment added in. The instructor doesnt teach olympic/sport style TKD, his is completely MA selfdefence based which is what I was looking for. Ever heard of young brothers tae kwan do....I think that is the organization the instroctor is with if I'm not mistaking.....which the style they teach is ITF anyway. What I have observed in the class seemed pertty good to me, maybe this time I'll stick with this style ....at least for a while:confused: :D
    :Alien:me and my crazy MA journey....where will it lead me next:Alien: