New Taekwondo Unity?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Spookey, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

(I couldn't think of an appropriate title for the thread, so I hope this points in the direction the thread will go!)

Some view Taekwon-Do as a specific art created by General Choi and his followers while others view Taekwondo as a semi-generic term for the Korean National Art, or anything in between? Regardless, we know the Korean political climate of the day lead to fractions in the art even before it was created.

A decade ago these forums were on fire with animosity, elitism, and even hatred being spewed (and I must confess, I am not proud to say I contributed). Now, however it appears a common ground has been established. Not on the organizational level, but on the individual level.

Today in the forums, contributors as a whole are more knowledgeable and understanding. We acknowledge the difference between not only Chang-Heon and Kukki Taekwondo, but the difference and separation between the systems and the organizations. We no longer (at least in mass) seem to hold practitioners responsible for the acts of associated organizations, we cease to inappropriately use the acronyms ITF & WTF as styles of Taekwondo, etc, and refer questions to appropriate sources without hesitation.

Information exchanges allow us all to understand that there are many generations of both Chang-Heon and Kukki Taekwondo. Building respect for kwan style, early ITF and Modern Chang-Heon, as well as Pal-Gwe era, kwan era and Tae-Geuk era Kukki-Taekwondo. Additionally, the kwan emergence is showing new light to the discussion on both sides of the coin as well.

Are we actually heading in the direction of reconciliation on our own, without the directive of international organizations? It appears so, and I hope we can continue to build this bridge to allow for greater information exchange both in history and technique ultimately defeating the ghosts of our past by building a solid footing for our future!

Regards,
    Spookey

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  2. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

As a side note:
    I would list it as:
    TAE KWON DO - IND
    TAEKWON-DO - ITF
    TAEKWONDO - WTF

3. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

I for one think that with the popularity of the Internet & access to it by more around the globe, info has flowed freely. Posters are more informed & more removed or less partisan as they may not have been the ones fighting the wars of yesteryear.
    Additionally & perhaps more importantly is that the ROK or SK is today a vibrant, free democracy. Freedom of speech & of the press not prevails in south Korea. Reporters & TKD Leaders are free to talk openly about TKD's history & how it was used for political aims. The are also more at ease with admitting the karate roots & connections.
    I love the MAs! As someone who does TKD I have a special affinity toward KMAs & find I have more in common with other TKD styles that which keeps us apart.
    While ITF & WTF merger talks have stalled, the fact that several high level meetings actually took place over an extended period of time, shows those of us on the bottom that even those on the top are trying to work a bit closer together. Of course any future discussion between the ITF-NK & the WTF will of course depend on the highest levels of the 2 Koreas, as TKD is still very much a political & propaganda tool for all of Korea.

4. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

Yes, it would seem so. A few years back (just following the ITF splits) every man and his dog was in the 'real ITF' or on the opposite side and often they would bicker.. me included lol - though of course I was right and they was wrong lol. :)

Slowly, as the years roll by, these type of people seem less and less.. in fact, I havnt come across one for a while now! Now, at grass roots.. it seems finally everyone (well most) gets along, no matter which org or branch of the TKD tree. Sadly, it seems its the orgs that stop people being more open and about more!

Stuart

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  5. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

Yes I think you are right. It seems that even though the orgs try to stop it, since the orgs look to be getting smaller, with more people dropping out, switching or staying independent, they have less influence. I think this trend will continue. Sadly it is about the orgs & money, but individuals are seeing this more clearly I think.
    Besides it is just silly for ITFers to fight among themselves, as they are the smaller group compared to the WTF/Kukki TKD.

6. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

With the ITF mucking up the water, I think that TKD is used more as a generic term by an awful lot of people.

7. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

Kwanjman,
    I agree, doesn't really matter what anyone's intent was in the 50's...the reality is what it is. Taekwondo is a blanket term and that's a fact!

8. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

I think that is correct!
    TAE KWON DO was offered as a blanket term, but rejected by most. But Taekwondo is associated with the KKW, which is very inclusive. While Taekwon-Do is associated with the ITF, which since it is so highly standardized, can be seen as less conducive to gaining membership.

So if people would see TKD as an umbrella or blanket term, maybe more would realize that as KMAists we share so much in common. Then maybe more would Feel more comfortable coming under the umbrella, keeping out of the rain & enjoy the warmth & comfort that the blanket can provide.

9. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

So what does that make 태권도? :p

10. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

Hangeul!:hat: