New "Student"

Discussion in 'Judo' started by righty, Mar 14, 2011.

1. righty

righty Valued Member

Just curious for your opinion,
    Not-quite-so-hypothetically speaking, what would you do if someone turned up at your dojo claiming to be ranked 3rd Dan in Judo and turns up in a black gi and hakama?

2. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Can he do all the throws and techniques you would expect of a Judoka of that level with finesse, power, and skill? If so then it could just be he's an offshoot of Kodokan or something similar, and not necessarily being untruthful.

3. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

Let him train like everyone else. Assess his ability like everyone else. Grade him like everyone else.

4. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Has he got a licence from your NGB? Seems the simplest way to clear things up.

5. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

See how he goes...

Train with the black belts assess technique and competency ....and if he is going to stay suggest that white Gi is the club attire ..

Smurf

6. righty

righty Valued Member

Despite my lack of qualifications to judge I really and clearly can say no. But he did seem to think a lot of himself to the point of clearly disregarding the majority of directions from the instructor.

7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Sounds like the "MMA" guy who turned up at my club last year. He only lasted 3 lessons anyway, our warm ups were too tough. :D

Fantasists like that wont stay, as long as your Instructor is keeping everyone safe don't worry about it.

Mitch

8. Alansmurf

Nicely put Mitch ...100% agree

Smurf

9. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

The uniform isn't the fault of the practitioner. If its been standard where he trained before then thats what he is used to. Give the guy the benefit of the doubt and allow the instructor to asses his ability and approve his ranking.

10. Linds

Linds Valued Member

Laugh

Ask to see rank certs if I could keep a straight face

White gi only is standard in judo. Don't believe me? Just go to judoforum and do
    a search for blue gi threads and see what the flame wars are like.

11. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

treat him like one, the truth wont be long in coming out

12. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Suggest that the hakama aren't a great idea. Let him wear his black gi as it seems a bit unfair to make him buy a new one. Train him at the level he can learn at.

Probably let him start off as a black belt and if he's getting pwnz0r3d, then subtly pair him up more frequently with brown belts and so on until we find his level.

If he's really not getting anywhere, just suggest that my curriculum seems very different to the one he's learned and he might benefit from learning it all from the ground up the way we do it.

13. Alansmurf

Very mature and thought out response Moose.....

White Gi is my sensei's preference ....I drive him nuts by wearing my black Gi !!!!!:Angel::Angel::Angel:

Smurf

14. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

I did not dispute the standard judo uniform. i merley offered an opinion to treat the new guy with some common respect and not make him an object of ridicule because his previous org made him wear something not to the norm.

15. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

Excuse my ignorance Righty but is this 'your' club and is it a judo club?
    I think people are being too nice, he should come to the club in 'civvies (or at least wearing a white belt or no belt ) and ask if it's ok to wear his gear. Start him at whatever level you think is appropriate and give him a time limit on wearing the non-standard uniform. Personally, i wouldn't take anyone at face value unless they could back up their claims with good documentary evidence from a trustworthy source and an appropriate deomonstration of skill/forms/technique.
    Harsh, me (well, i will be when i'm running my own club).

16. righty

righty Valued Member

In reply to your question it is Judo however it's not 'my' club but the one I train at - I am just a lowly student.

I was spending most of my time stuggling not to giggle too loudly.

17. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Valued Member

Get him a white gi he can borrow from the cupboard; unless it is a black belt from an NGB or affilliate he has to wear a white belt.

If he throws everyone in randori get him a licence and grade him quickly. If he has problems with the instruction, what is being taught etc, an appropriate attitude adjustment can be given from white belt through to 7th Dan.

18. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Hakama at a judo club? Does this actually happen outside of this hypothetical scenario?

19. TRK

TRK Valued Member

I agree with Hugh and Arthur. I have approached a number of new instructors in different arts, some affiliated with arts I hold rank in, some completely different styles. Unless it is an affiliated school, I show up in civvies, ask to train, and ask what to wear. I also generally watch a class first, which makes it easier to figure out what people wear. If I don't have it already, I talk to the instructor. It is simple courtesy. If I am some kind of kick ass martial artist, they'll be able to tell whether I am wearing a white belt, a black belt, or a piece of string. If my training is different or not up to snuff, I'll be a lot less embarrassed in a white belt, fitting in with the class.

Of course, the calculus is a little different when approached by somebody else who lacks this courtesy. A polite explanation of the uniform in the dojo and an insistence that they conform to it makes sense. Offering a spare white gi for the first class is also polite.

20. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Whatever happened to the days where new students were subjected to initiation by way of a wooden paddle and a tin of tuna? Or was that just my club?