New social classes?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Johnno, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Apparantly there are no longer three social classes in britain, but seven. ( :confused: )

And to help us all decide which one we belong to, the BBc have provided us with a handy calculator!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22000973

So which are you?

I'm afraid it's only for Brits. Johnny Foreigner is automatically lower-lower class, or something like that. ;)

2. panderso

panderso Valued Member

If I were a Brit, I'd be one of the Emergent Service Workers. But since I'm a foreigner, I suppose I'm really just at the bottom of the heap...

3. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I am Elite, though I didn't pick the very top category for a couple of the wealth options should as housing and savings, it said that it was the wealthiest and most privileged class.

Clearly, there could be another class for a person who selected higher answers, so perhaps it should be 8 or more.

4. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Its also a little flawed in that it doesn't operate on Net Worth. The housing question includes mortgaged properties and doesn't take into account debt there, or in general.

5. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

so... apparently im elite
    but it might be skewed as im from an expat family

6. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

also my bank account says im far from elite...

7. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I hear you brother, my ones in the Caymans and Bermuda are rather low this year too!

8. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I took the test twice. In one version I gave my income from last year, in the other I gave my predicted income for this year.

In one I was established middle class, in the other I was traditional working class.

I think it's a pretty flawed calculator.

9. mattt

mattt Valued Member

What do you think your class should be based on income and their categories?

10. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I don't think income should be a factor. I think education and employment sector say more about your class than income.

I was expecting to end up in the established middle class category. It surprised me that dropping down from one income bracket to another moved me significantly within their calculator. If I move my income to the top bracket but keep all other values the same I become 'elite'. The descriptor for 'elite' actually matches my background and my hobbies/social outlook (ie friends in almost every profession listed).

I then looked at restricting my hobbies and putting my social acquaintances in the lowest paid professions only but giving myself the highest salary (with low savings) - I still counted as 'elite' according to the calculator.

11. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Your class is based on your breeding and cannot be changed by any income. Always been that way and probably always will. You can't change it
    (

Elite middle class BTW

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I'm Elite

....now what's all this about a social class calculator?

13. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

If I put in my own details, I'm Emergent Service Workers, which is good as I am described as "young". :)

I redid the test and noticed that I should have included my partners details. Then I get Technical Middle Class (I'm not sure of all her details).

All a bit odd really.

14. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

7 social classes? Lucky Brits. We only have three in America, and the last several presidents have been working hard to switch us to a two class country. :(

15. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I agree it seems off.

But I would also skew it in the other direction and include wealth (in the form of net worth)

There is a big difference between a person who paid cash for their house and who has a mortgage.

Also age is key. A guy in their 20's with a Net Worth of over 100K has a lot more wealth and with compound interest and inflation will be operating at a different social tier than a guy in in their retirement, in fact the latter could be considered poor.

Education I don't think is important, because it does not by itself mean success - there are many people who have a solid (and expensive) education that are unemployed or working mediocre jobs.

Savings should not be included without debt ratios (my net worth argument again).

And if you want to be really picky about the highest elite class you should include relationships with Celebs and Royals that the It Guys and Gals have.

16. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

I am an Emergent Service Worker.

I live in the US so I know that makes me something in the vile leprous foreign class that is somewhat less than a troglodyte.

Not sure what I think of the calculator. I see myself as crotchety, old and well, vile and leprous.

I shall have to ponder on this.

17. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I hate that attitude.

I have way more respect for a person who is willing to work to improve themselves, and rise from their social stigma.

I went from working class poor to 'elite' according to this study.

Yesterday I started my day working with my accountant on several tax advantaged strategies for my businesses.

Followed by training at a world class location, since I am privileged enough to be able to manage my own day.

After returning to my offices in the city I changed into a suit, met with the CEO of a billion dollar financial services firm for coffee to talk about his firm, discussing the strengths and weaknesses of his products and having a general chinwag.

Later, I worked with a young couple who are seeking to establish their own business and I recommended strategies for setting up legal entities and forming a non profit organization for tax advantages and creating a legacy.

Last week I was vacationing in a resort with rooms that cost over $2500 a night, then travelled through Sri Lanka, and went training in Tokyo. Meeting Clients for business on the way.

I have a very average education. I come from a poor background, single parent, latch key kid, on benefits. 10 years ago I was working in a job that paid 15K a year.

Bragging is bad, I know...success is bad I know... hoping to better yourself and reaching for the stars is bad I know... you'll probably fail... then everyone will laugh at you. Or you'll succeed and they'll deride you... don't try to change it... you'll always be a poor working class kid who will never amount to anything.

18. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I found the survey to be strangely short and lacking in detail. There were no questions at all about family background, upbringing or education, al of which tell you far more about someone's class than their income or their leisure interests do.

19. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I'll admit, based upon my tirade above, that I may not know what is really meant by class.

I see a person who is born with privileged from their family background as nothing special, particularly if they amount to nothing and are unable to be productive. Anyone can spend a million, but only some people can earn a million.

20. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Mattt,

You have to remember the class system is totally different in the UK than in the US.

The US system is based on money/wealth, the UK system is based on other factors, family background, your job etc etc.

It's easier to move between classes in the US, less so in the UK. You can become wealthy and socially mobile in the UK, but due to your family background, you would still be regarded as working class, especially if your accent is wrong.

Not saying that it is right or wrong or anything...just that the idea of class is different.